Was he right on Milton?

Napoleon did not make it to America. Instead, he gave himself up to the British, who banished him to St. Helena. On seeing an Englishman reading Milton’s Paradise Lost on board the Northumberland, the ship that conveyed him to exile, Napoleon reportedly said,
>Your British Homer lacks taste, harmony, warmth, naturalness. Read again the poet of Achilles. Devour Ossian. Those are the poets who lift up the soul, and give to man a colossal greatness. (10)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/review/show/628739901
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. Milton is one of the worst English poets and definitely the most overrated

Anglos are not human so it works out

No. Milton is one of the greatest English poets and definitely is not to be underrated.

>lol I should write my sentences all wonky because that's how it is in Latin lmao

>Torquato
>Homer
>Dante
>Ariosto
>Virigl
>Milton
>Camoes
This is the correct order.

>Tasso, Ariosto, Milton, and Camoes on the same list as Homer and Dante
Confirmed for not having any taste or critical judgement. If you read him in Greek you'd know that Homer BTFOs those hacks so much that it's not even funny.

>hurr I am too much of a retard to understand structured verse so I will blame the author

>implying there was a single homer and his works are not the product of a pre-literate oral culture

>give to man a colossal greatness.
>gave himself up
>on board the Northumberland, the ship that conveyed him to exile
k

If you have no Latin then I guarantee that you don't understand Paradise Lost. It's a defect for an English writer to write English like Latin.

The first time I read it I had no Latin and I understood it just fine. It's not hard.

lmao at your life kid. You can't even understand what makes poetry great and think some literally whos are on the same level as Dante. That's like saying that Petrarch is as good as Arnaut Daniel.

>some literally whos
>literally just admitted he's a pleb

You haven't lived till you've read Samson Agonistes, honky.

>give to man a colossal greatness.
>literally everyone in the western world knows his name
Was this Baguette or Anglo propaganda I wonder.. .. . . . .. . ...

True, "greatest loser" is still "great" in a sense.

Napoleon was a corsican frenchie and probably didn't grasp english enough to appreciate Milton.
Besides, he was one of those people who are entirely full of themselves, and an atheist to boot. Christian religious work didn't fit his politics so he denounced it. Not very surprising.

>Torquato
>"The day of fortune is like a harvest day, We must be busy when the corn is ripe."
>"Grave was the man in years, in looks, in word, his locks were grey, yet was his courage green."

Come on now.

There's good evidence against that.

goodreads.com/review/show/628739901

He also read Werther seven times and casted Justine to the fire upon finishing it.

Anything with Lucifer is fantastic. If you haven't read him before read books 1-3 of PL at least. His invocation and four fold analogies can be a little much, but anything where Lucifer or the or the other fallen angles are talking directly is great

>anglos
Napoleon was patrician as fuck, hell yeah he was right.
There was a reason French was the language of the upper class during the colonial period.