Deep Space Propulsion

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on the current contenders for deep space propulsion. Most people jump on the VASMIR hyper train. But how does it ultimately compare against the ELF, Or the Hall-Effect thruster.

And on that note what method has the most potential to speed up deep space exploration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KjaZioGLdTg
youtu.be/jiAhiu6UqXQ
dpo.tothestarsacademy.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

NB4meme drive trolling.

Memedrive would be fantastic if we had actual physical evidence that it works. But as of right now all we have is vague tests that tell us its true and china claiming they've always had it.

Until we get some revolutionary news that it does work it's better to stick to the stuff that's under physical testing now.

normal chemical propulsive using the oberth effect is better than any shitty meme stuff

I'm not sure if these guys are onto something but I'd like to see an experiment of a propeller in empty space

How Propeller Space Drive Works: youtu.be/KjaZioGLdTg

Youre kidding right? Thats some troll physics shit. Its not going to provide any net thrust and even if it did work, it would be many times less efficient than ion thrusters. Like even an ion thruster with no supplied fuel, just running on rogue hydrogen atoms in deep space, would likely give a better thrust to weight ratio while consuming less energy.

Not with this tester fan
Free Energy Magnet Motor fan used as Free Energy …: youtu.be/jiAhiu6UqXQ

VASIMIR has been in dev for like 15 years with no progress. We'll have better luck with fusion propulsion

for unmanned small craft: ion thruster and lasers (for the initial launch).

I often wonder what would happen if we started dumping hundreds of billions of dollars into research for stuff like this.

Cunts being cunts. WHEN the em drive will be proven without a doubt that it works, you will be among the people that will say that they always knew it would work.
Just send your bantz to my address; 10458 Sea of Tranquility ln NE.

>if we started dumping hundreds of billions of dollars into research

Generally this, though I make an exception when the mission calls for rendezvous/capture (as opposed to mere flyby) at a destination with a shallow gravity well and no usable atmosphere. With neither aerocapture nor a strong Oberth effect to exploit, this fancy electric flatulence bullshit starts to actually make sense.

Forget all these shit drives.
When these guys work out how UFOs fly, we will really fly to the stars in minutes not fucken years.

dpo.tothestarsacademy.com/

>Tesla coil x2
>Hydrogen spark gap x2
>Point both outputs at a focal point
>???

We do it's called the military industrial complex. NASA gets their handmedowns

This, we just need to eat the cost and build big, beefy rockets by the millions and send them out

Except that rockets don't work in space.

Our best contenders for space propulsion are nuclear. NERVA, fission fragment, even fusion are all pretty good contenders.

Fusion is actually a very interesting case for space propulsion. You don't need break even for practical fusion propulsion. Fusion can basically serve as a super ion drive, with increased efficiency because you're getting some energy out of your propellant.

>Rockets don't work in space
Lolwut

What the hell does a rocket engine push against, space is nothing.
Thats why NASA used the sling shot effect to get to the moon.
Thats why no space shuttle could get to the moon, too much mass to sling shot.

I thought that table on the right was gonna be nutritional facts

Do you have brain damage user
Are you literally too retarded to comprehend the concept of conservation of momentum or Newton's Third Law

>Quoting from 10 000 years ago, lol.
Its 2017, you silly billy.

The third law is a cover, it doesn't work like that in terms of a satellite thruster or anything.

its pushing against the stars and planets thousands of light years away retard

Find that hard to believe, rockets are not that powerful to reach that distance.
You can't fly a helicopter in space, nothing to push against. Jet engines and rockets don't work either.

It's 1000% your daily dose of Isp

DISPROVEN

Putting one in space is easy but those rotating blades won't be making it move.
You have proven nothing.

This. Once you actually need to go somewhere in space, fusion will likely be it. It is much simpler than fusion energy generators because you don't need to contain the plasma for long and you don't need to produce much electricity from it, with the caveat that if you actually don't break even you need to find another source of energy to fuse the atoms, pretty sub-optimal in my opinion.