What do you think of high school level maths? I find it interesting, since I love maths, but it's so slow...

What do you think of high school level maths? I find it interesting, since I love maths, but it's so slow, we're doing the same exercise but with 3 different values and one less intermediate question for the hundredth time, and I'm just here, thinking about suicide and shitposting on Veeky Forums, and I'm still on top of my class and they call me a genius and whatnot, this is stupid

Other urls found in this thread:

admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read more advanced stuff if you're bored

Yeah, the teacher told me the same thing, any advice on where to get started? If you know anything in French it's even better but English is very fine too

Are you done with Calculus 1, 2, 3 (or whatever are their equivalents)?

If what I read online is correct it's differential calculus, integral calculus and multivariable calculus. We overdid the derivatives in class, I lightly did differential equations and basic integrals on my own, probably not enough though, but I never heard of multivariable calculus. Is it when you use two variables and represent it in space? Because I invented this in middle school and my math teacher told me to blast off when I showed it to her, so it would be funny

Yea, multivariable calculus is calculus with two or more variables. I suppose you should focus more on the parts you've not yet learned properly right now, like integral calculus and differential equations. Once you've done that you can try and learn a bit of linear algebra and multivariable calculus. You should also try and prove some of the simple theorems at least. You can find book recommendations in the Veeky Forums wiki.

are there student textbooks that you can get above your level? Maybe a teacher can give you a textbook for a year ahead, or show you where to buy them? Textbooks are good for self learning as they ensure you get a good foundation.

Sounds good, thanks a lot user!

I should be able to get a good enough textbook at a library, I mean it's only highschool maths. I'll try to get my parents to buy it this weekend or so, this way maybe I can get over it over the vacations. I mean I gave up on maths in the past few years and I got it all done in less than a week before school started over so it's worth a try

It's an unfortunate fact that as long as you are still in mandatory maths classes, you will be held back by the existence of brainlets who will not learn the material unless they are forced to repeat it hundreds of times over.

You can't just call anybody without an interest or a gift in maths a brainlet or say that their existence is directly holding me back, it's rude and untrue, especially since I'm in a private high school where most students aren't that stupid (there are even some slightly gifted ones, it's nice). I agree though, holding back the gifted is a deep flaw in the mandatory educational system

Agree with this post. Exploring your own mind is as important or more important than the curriculum. You will need both, but covering your own ground on your own terms will never involve the approval of others. Get over that. Otherwise you will not be free. Construct freely and develop your own filters. Jump through hoops too could be wise move.

I just intentionally didn't not listen and tried to figure it out on my own when I was bored. Either that or I did my own research.

That's very great advice, thanks a lot user

I feel like I'm already doing this, like I listen until I understand what the chapter is about and then instead of copying what's he's saying I just do as much as I can on my own, but we mostly do exercises and after 2 of them it's just as boring as it gets

Hmm, I think it's plain. I'd like to go deeper, maybe study analysis. But because I'm done with my math minor and am busy with classes I can't really study it much. Not like my physics courses are math intensive (I wish they were). Ducking teachers here "teach how to set up a problem" then say that wolfram alpha can do the integral for us.

btw differential equations are nice

Well I guess their goal is to teach physics, not maths, but that's kind of stupid

it would be a big help to me if you would leave a coment in the coment section of my papers on viXra that has either praise or a criticism other than "haha Jonathan Tooker is a crank because le schizo vixra maymays XD XD XD"

Sorry, I've had places to be (I was having the Getting Home To My Depressing Family depression), I'm back
But there were no posts

Is this some meme that I don't understand

>What do you think of high school level maths

Too slow. I like Veeky Forums's reforms better

If your maths curriculum is even slightly rich enough, there is a lot you can do with it, and in a way high school maths is a lot more interesting that extremely high levels of mathematics, at least from the perspective that in high school maths (given sufficient tools), there is a lot you can try to do with that limited set of tools. For example, take a look at the papers here: admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/

They are entrance exams for undergraduate Cambridge mathematics, and use mostly only the year 12 maths curriculum in the UK (analogous to most of Australia's one, where I'm from). There are a lot of neat things you can get from there.

blessed trips

I'll try to do this, and I very much see your point. Highschool maths aren't that bad, we have nice tools, we just don't do anything of them at all in class

lel whoever made that is retarded .99% of people are too stupid for that to ever work. It might work for the

Not everyone needs to graduate high school. Let the brainlets finish with a middle school or elementary school degree.

I thought the exact same but maybe it's just a joke but yeah if it's serious it's dumb

I'd say that indeed everyone needs to graduate high school for age reasons