Does anyone have thoughts on Dianetics?

Does anyone have thoughts on Dianetics?

I personally think that Scientology on the whole is an extreme, and quite kooky, but I think that Dianetics is on to something about the 'reactive mind' and 'engrams'. I tried a youtube course with a self-auditing exercise (which they say is impossible, but hey ho) and felt a little better after I did it.

I think that willpower is the most neglected aspect of psychology and I don't know why more research has been done to improve on it or explore it.

Any thoughts?

Dianetics is pseudo science and only exists as a con to recruit more cultists.

>is on to something about the 'reactive mind' and 'engrams'
>a mind that has perfect recall about your entire life and also all your past lives
>on to something
there is a slight glimmer of truth in that the talk therapy aspect of auditing can be helpful for some people to work through trauma but everything about the theory is nonsense

Yeah I get that, but then again willpower is an unquantifiable phenomenon, so the scientific method wouldn't really apply to Dianetics... or psychotherapy for that matter.

The whole process of psychosomatic/psychoanalytic process is based on difference and outliers in accumulated data, but when it comes to willpower its all subjective, so how could it be scientifically analysed or peer-reviewed, and who would be qualified to denounce it as pseudoscience?

Questions beget more questions...

Yeah I think the part about the 'past lives' and 'prenatal trauma' was stupid too but the fact that the mind records everything I 100% agree on - our minds just get numbed by sensory info as we get older so we forget it

Cults don't work by being complete nonsense, they work by having slivers of truth or vague generalizations that can lead to specific guesses (see astrology and psychics).

>Yeah I get that, but then again willpower is an unquantifiable phenomenon, so the scientific method wouldn't really apply to Dianetics... or psychotherapy for that matter.
>The whole process of psychosomatic/psychoanalytic process is based on difference and outliers in accumulated data, but when it comes to willpower its all subjective, so how could it be scientifically analysed or peer-reviewed, and who would be qualified to denounce it as pseudoscience?
>Questions beget more questions...

You seem inordinately fond of verbiage.

"It's nonsense by a sci-fi author turned scam artist" is sufficient. In a pinch, crop evertythign after the second "e" in "nonsense."

>but the fact that the mind records everything I 100% agree on - our minds just get numbed by sensory info as we get older so we forget it
that's demonstrably false, though

So Hubbard was a paedophile? Haha

Says who.

The book was really shitty and didn't sell well so Hubbard decided to form a cult about it so people would buy it and he could turn a profit. That literally is the origin story of Scientology.

Says science. Your visual perception is 90% inferred fiction. Memory is constructed on the fly from inferences and scant facts. Every time you attempt to remember something, you're editing your own memories.

>Veeky Forums - Science & Math

Pseud shit which you somehow fell for

Auditing is like talking to God.
You can say anything but when you lie God knows.
The thing with Scientology is, they document the auditing sessions, in which the ask deep personal questions, and are more then willing and capable to publish that if you don't comply with the house rules of Scientology. And that's the nasty part.

Other then that, L. Ron was intelligent enough to mix military training methods with the aura of Hollywood fame. The rest is history, but his methods are well tested, preformed and perfected over centuries by military leaders, religious leaders and societies like freemasonry.
It works really good. If it didn't, Scientology would be forgotten by now, remember that.

But like all religions, philosophies, military and esoteric knowledge, it is harmfull to the weak and only the strong come out alive.

But buy the book, read it, but never let it take over your own will and mind.
And it not the fact that they are Scientologists that makes them happy.
Money and like minded friends and family do that. Like all ways.
And money is worthless if you don't have the wisdom on who to spend it.
And that all start with realizing only people can make you really happy.
A Lamborghini does not make you happy, the ability to show someone you traveling inside one does.

Post the source.

I'm improving my memory by re-living everything I've done during the day in my mind before I go to sleep. It works. Just be vigilant and pay attention - I hope that one day my mind will be near-eidetic which I believe can happen with practice.

I think auditing is just a type of hypnosis, and self auditing is a type of meditation. Interesting read though, and still very useful.

There's around 25,000 scientologists in the US. It's not nearly as widespread as people think.

Maybe you don't realize, but the US is just a small part of the world and the club magazine of Scientology is not The Bridge, it's Hollywood movie products to those who are Clear. Scientology rules the cinema and by that has a big influence in popmusic and pop culture. Scientology is just as big of a influence as Christianity but on a completely different level.

Get into psychology and you will learn the same skills and more!!.

Scientology, just like LeVayanism is about making money by tricking the fool.
Christianity and Islam are about controlling the weak due ignorism.
What is the difference?
Christianity and Islam are politically correct and usefull.
Scientology and Satanism creates strong people and therefor unwanted by governments.

It begins
The Scientologists have waited a long time to come for Veeky Forums

Underrated post. Great insights.

>and felt a little better after I did it.
That's called placebo. If you don't know that, you don't belong on Veeky Forums.

I was in the navy when I started to study psychology. That lead me to serious look into witchcraft, which brought me to LeVayanism. That made me wanna look in Scientology. I learned a lot good stuff doing that. But always approached it with the mind setting of wanna learn the trade, not wanna be fooled by the magicians. Both are top notch wizardry.
If you keep that in mind, it is great to explore. If you forget both founders are esoteric educated intelligent people, you get lost in the maze.

But if you enter the maze knowing it will always be a maze to make money, you might learn how they made it work and how to built your own

Seems to me like a combination of hypnosis and game theory. There are parts worth stealing, but overall I'd say there's too much dark shit there, both in the community and the dogma.

Plus, the cosmology is mormon-tier levels of weird.

How is willpower unquantifiable? Do you know proof of this or is it just your sense?

>W. Sumner Davis similarly comments that
>Dianetics is nothing more than an example of pseudoscience trying to legitimize itself ... Hubbard, had he indeed been a scientist, would have known that truth is not built on axioms, and facts cannot be found from some a-priori knowledge. A true science is constructed on hypotheses, which are arrived at by the virtue of observed phenomena. Scientific knowledge is gained by observation and testing, not believing from some subconscious stipulation, as Hubbard would have us believe.

>truth is not built on axioms
mathfaggots on suicide watch?

>Religion made by a literal science fiction author
>Scientology's equivalent of Christ's resurrection is them getting tax exempt

You cannot make this shit up

When you come in contact with Scientology the first time, tell will tell you all about L Ron. If the fact that he was a scifi writer who started a new religion does not wakes you up, you are so dumb, you might just as well join Christianity or Islam.
Dumb people will follow leaders with huge fantasies.
But the word twisting they do, is found in freemasonry as well.