Is Feynman the ultimate anti-mathematician?

Is Feynman the ultimate anti-mathematician?

>revolutionizes physics using integrals over a function space that mathematicians can't even begin to make sense of
>does away with unexpected infinities by forcing them to be finite
>destroys mathematicians with banter, deeming all their theorems that violate physical intuition to be trivial
>gets laid more often than the entire field of mathematics and doesn't let women interfere with his passions (RIP Galois).

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/0807.2199
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

>mathematicians can't even begin to make sense of

They can and do.

Well it took them a while to do so, and at the time Feynman didn't care that some autist hadn't figured out a measure for his path function space and trudged fearlessly onward.

QFT is bullshit.

Please do elaborate, brainlet

Feynman liked math a lot though. He talks about how much he loved his first calculus book that he got from a library as a child in some interview or another.

I thought I was in love with Schrödinger QM, but then Feynman showed me what love was.

Of course he liked math. He was a theoretical physicist.

Not OP but I've read it's still not clearly defined. Been a while since I've messed around with path integrals.

It is not defined in general, because a definition requires defining a measure on a function space. But not all theories are taken over the same function space. So defining the measure depends on what the specific theory is.

In the case of a simply theory like [math]S\left[ \varphi \right] = {\int\limits_0^t {\operatorname{d} s\left\| {\frac{{\operatorname{d} \varphi }}{{\operatorname{d} s}}} \right\|} ^2}[/math] , the function space is just [math]{C^0}\left( {\left[ {0,t} \right],M} \right)[/math] and the path integral measure is just a wiener measure.

Thanks that makes sense. I don't know know much about wiener processes or Brownian Motion in general, never had the chance to study it in earnest in college but it's on my list.

The fact that it can intuitively explain something already seemingly intuitive enough as the least action principle was nuts. Mind was blown.

underrated

Sauce plox.

Nevermind, it's just Piper's fucking thesis again.

explain pic. what is the bottom set of equations?

He's a theoretical physicist. He's able to bully everyone because all their fields only exist because of his, including math.

In the bottom photos are a couple important equations from Feynman's Path Integral Formulation of Quantum Mechanics.

S is the action, which is defined based on the Lagrangian from classical mechanics.

The above integral defines the state vector (in the position basis) as an integral over some function of the action. The idea being that no longer is it just the classical path (the extremum) that contributes to the state, but instead ALL paths contribute equally, so you are integrating over all possible paths.

Usually there will be an h term in that exponential so that equation must be in natural units (I took it from Wikipedia).

If you don't know the top equation then you have no business being on this board.

Hey bigot

Wrong.

>wiener
>brownian
Faggots

The virgin Schrödinger vs the chad Feynman

She did a talk at a conference I attended over the summer. Not "psycho" in real life. But she is an idiot. The whole "all white males should quit their jobs" was a ploy for attention.

She believes mathematics should cater to her when it's her who should be catering to mathematics. But, since she's a "victim", she will probably get a tenure track position quickly despite having barely any publications.

>browses Veeky Forums
>doesn't even know basic statistics

>But, since she's a "victim", she will probably get a tenure track position
FUN FACT: How familiar are you with the adjunct hiring and retention process as it relates to spousal hires? [i.e. She's there for life!]

>W-well it ...uh... t-took them a ... a while
>t-to do so, a-and at the t-time Feynman
>d-didn't c-care, so there
backpedal much?

Is Nippon meme man the Feynman of our time?

>functional integration
somewhat spectacular, not nonsensical
>infinity
Wiiiiilllllllsonnnnnn!!!!!!!!
>talks down to mathematicians for not being scientists
Most physicists do this to some extent

It's really not.

>weiner measure
kek

literally what is the point of this?

Uhm, sweaty? Misogynistic much?

what the fuck is this image

Doctors who never learned how to integrate

you're not actually telling me this was published, are you? I know the medical field is full of brainlets, but I would think they've at least taken a calculus class

>he doesn't know about the revolutionary Tai's method of measuring the area under the glucose curve
There's all those new ideas coming from the medical and biological fields nowadays. It's going to revolutionize mathematics!

>yfw Ginzburg-Landau theory of superconductivity sparked an entirely new field of mathematics uniting Hodge structures with Higgs bundles on Frobenius manifolds
arxiv.org/abs/0807.2199
There's literally no point in studying math now.

Doesn't Nonabelian Hodge Theory already do that?

I mean... if it works right?

No, you need variations of Hodge structures which arise from the study of asymptotic singularities of solutions in Ginzburg-Landau theories.

well since we're on this,

how about Dirac?

eg, his bra-ket notation kind of mindfucked the mathematicians of his time as well.

>his bra-ket notation kind of mindfucked the mathematicians of his time as well

I find this very hard to believe. He found a clever way to notate vectors, dual vectors, inner and outer products. It's cool notation, but it doesn't reveal anything that isn't already well understood. It sure helps get brainlet physicists up to speed on their linear algebra though.

No one knew what a the dirac delta function was until the late 40s.

Ah yes, the Dirac Delta """Function"""

That is a good example along the lines of the OP. Super important for quantum mechanics.

>No one knew what a the dirac delta function was until the late 40s.
Including Dirac. He simply posited what would be required, and mathematicians came up with the solution, as always.
Physicists are brainlets.

isn't this just an integral? who published this