Robot Fighting Competition - Robotics General Thread

Megabots (USA) vs Kuratas (Japan)
stream starts at 7:00 pm pst
twitch /megabotsinc
Megabots AMA from yesterday:
reddit /r/IAmA/comments/2ldqpw/we_are_megabots_and_were_building_giant_fighting/

Starts in 6 minutes.

Other leagues include Robo-One which is smaller bipedal robot fighting. Example: youtube.com/watch?v=XxSGKPM09Q8

Do you think events like this make science more interesting to average human beings?

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this.

Who else is psyched?

Eagle Prime is going to crush Kurata

I honestly don't care who wins. Would rather see a competitive league with standardized rules and fair competition

IT BEGINS

yeah without weight classes this is just silly

Why is it prerecorded

One Punch Man

Japan actually has way more robotics fighting competitions so not a surprise they had a strong strategy compared to showbiz americans.

Holy shit, that was not what I expected

because it's scripted

All robot fighting at least with bipedal type robots is just knocking the other down. Normally they just flop towards the other or do some push motion.

Japan had good strategy of battery ram

That was so fucking lame

Come on, at least have 3 rounds or something. That sucked

This is the faker than wrestling

That was really underwhelming. 2 years for this?

That's the point though!

Well, this definitely was a thing that happened.

Because pit stops probably take hours

They should have had a "no surrenders" rule. You have to keep fighting until one robot is incapacitated, or one of them gets knocked down.

Man I feel disappointed. I was hoping for the dawn of a new sport, but I can't imagine anything significant getting started from this

Y'all watch too much anime, that was fucking cool for a first go.

It's over?! I missed it?

It wasn't that flashy, but it definitely was neat. Looked more like a battle between industrial moving equipment than a giant battlebots match like everyone was expecting.

That's the sad part, how will the "sport" ever recover

Why did they even bother with paintballs? Just take a waterhose, fill it with slightly sticky and opaque liquid and spray that shit all over.

That was lame
#mechgate

Fake and gay
/thread

>tfw america literally oneshot by japan

worse than pearl harbor desu

Because it basically is giant industrial equipment. Battlebots? Shit, do people understand how fucking huge these things are? And they have pilots in them.

This was cool as hell.

Dude a minute ago said that around a dozen groups are interested in getting involved. With weight classes and shit so it's not so one-sided and proper rules beyond "try not to kill the other dude" this has the potential to get way more exciting.

Even still, c'mon, we got to watch a hugeass robot chainsaw another huge robot's arm to shit for real in our lifetime. I don't see how anyone's disappointed in this as a first go. If fights are still exactly like this like five years in, sure.

The pilots idea is stupid. Severely restricts what is possible and safe.

I agree, but it's also part of the dream.