They haven't read Elements

>they haven't read Elements

>with a fupplement of divers

>complaining about olde English
>he hasn't read anything in olde English

thats modern english you fucking dingbat

I started Ars Magna recently, but there's a mini-project at the start to know exactly which Elements props are cited.

there's also a reference to Plato's Meno, a nice meme-nod to Veeky Forums types.

Ah, Ars Magna, I looked that up. An algebraical work.

I'm reading On Conics by Apollonius right now, myself. Apollonius intensely uses the trigonometric propositions and II. 5 and 6 of Elements.

Which propositions does this great book use or reference?

I swear, if you read Euclid's Elements, you are prepared for most great geometrical, astronomical, and engineering related developments.

I was just about to post
>he hasn't read A Treatise on Conic Sections
but then I saw you're actually doing it.

>they haven't read Physics

Why aren't you apprising yourself of nature's principles and causes?

Btw, anyone playing euclidea.xyz ?

Does anyone (on lit or otherwise) read Aristotle beyond the ethics, poetics, and maybe politics/rhetoric? Literally never seen anyone mention the organon, de anima, de caelo, let alone physics or any of the biological works.

Are these not worth the time or are people just not giving the texts the attention they deserve? I'm reading the organon (just finished post. Analytics) and am starting to understand more and so enjoy more, and am looking forward to the physics next and at least trying the bio stuff later. But I'm disconcerted that literally nobody talks about them.

What's your opinion?

I've always wanted to learn geometry. Would it be worth my time to read it, or should go for something more modern.

Don't read old scientific works to actually learn science/math. They are horribly outdated.

Not that guy, but in my university course we've read De Anima and the Physics so far. I think all of his work has a consistent readership. Was there something specific you wanted to talk about?

You guys obviously don't know what the Physics is about

I guess I'm just wondering if they're interesting and worth reading. Did you enjoy them? Are you happy to have read them? I'll at least try them either way, but since I'm still reading the organon I really don't know what I'm getting into yet with the rest of Aristotle.

ſ > s

What's outdated about The Elements?

He didn't mean actual Old English, he meant "olde English," which is a fake language idiots invent when they have to read Shakespeare in high school and pretend they don't understand it.

but I have

>Does anyone (on lit or otherwise) read Aristotle beyond the ethics, poetics, and maybe politics/rhetoric?
If you want to achieve Absolute Knowledge and actually understand Hegel you have to

That proof has less rigor than this gif

What pretty colours. Makes me think of constructivism.

Is there a reason too? Does he create any logical arguments, or go over any math concepts that we haven't already learned by the end of uni?

There's a lot of basic geometry that's probably familiar to you, along with other interesting topics like number theory and exhaustion (a precursor to integration).

The Elements is proof-oriented rather than application-oriented, which is different that most modern basic math education approaches. So that basic geometry you know might seem familiar but from a very different angle. Everyone is expected to know the Pythagorean theorem, but many never saw anything more than a visual "proof" of it. The emphasis on proofs is extremely important and valuable for appreciating "higher-level" mathematics.