College professor said math is still a theory? wat? is it?

college professor said math is still a theory? wat? is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

mduchin.math.tufts.edu/UCD/111/readings/romig.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Context?

math is just a construct that allows us to manipulate data to facilitate the extraction of additional information. It is as entirely rea a concept as any of us are real as people.

The theory part is probably about applying math to the natural world. Although math and the knowledge required to remove variables allows us to predict outcomes with extreme accuracy and precision, we cannot yet prove that the universe works in a purely logical way. I.e. we have shown that our calculations are accurate time and time and time again, but that is not a proof. We cannot prove that "there is no natural outcome that will contradict X mathematical calculation."

We just don't have that proof, so in technical terms yes, Applied math is still an unproven practise

theory as in what? the general use of the word is basically meaningless. the scientific use is only relevant to science.

Math is just a theory, in theory. Now, it depends on the context. If the context is

>Meth iz steel a teoree that B keepin' da black man DOWN
Then that's retarded. But if the context is

>Mathematical deduction alone cannot give you facts about the universe. It can only build a theory on top of axioms that may or not be true.

Then that's true.

Math is a language and nothing more. It can DESCRIBE theories but it itself is a way of communication.

Your professor is a dumb retard. Math was discovered, not invented.

>math is just a theory
I too can use vague terminology to come up with a statement that seems wrong on the first hearing but can't be called bullshit because it is technically*** correct

lmao, what a fucking brainlet; just as bad as the brainlets ITT. You should burn the whole place down.

Math was created to model reality.
For example, counting the possible mixture combinations of spices. (n permutes k)
By definition it will remain but a theory.

Everyone slow the fuck down.
Math rests on axioms, axioms are unprovable hence math is theory. A great example is the axiom of selection, without this math falls apart, but dig this, we're not certain it's true. Things could be ever more complex.

He's right. The worst kind of memesters are those that seriously start to believe they can calculate everything with absolute precision, usually the guys left unnoticed who spend too much time at school.

Math is useful, especially for desribing and predicting natural processes, but it is always a model...

>Math rests on axioms
>we have no idea if it's true
You have no idea what an axiom is.

> You have no idea what an axiom is.
K, I'll bite. What is an axiom to (you)?

Worse—I think they know what an axiom is, and have no concept of how to use one.

Anyone in here thinking they know more than a legit math professor LMAO

He's right. There is even a paper nobody seems to have acknowledged from the 80s that proves that math is basically the same tier as social science, but ofc mathgaylordians don't wanna hear about it.

>same tier
It's funny, I can actually see *how* you misread that paper based on your ability to remember his wording.

And I haven't even read the paper.

A theory can be proven correct or incorrect.
Math can't.

I wanna to divide by zero

You’re in good company mduchin.math.tufts.edu/UCD/111/readings/romig.pdf

no

ITT scienceplebs try to talk about math and reveal how embarrassingly dumb they are.

protip: Math is not empirical.

I'm afraid you're not correct about that. A theory can only be proven incorrect, never correct. That's why science is based on falsifying, not proving things correct.