Because of risk or telomeres?

both and then some

fatty liver disease

stomach lining damage

and brain effects still being studied

Jesus, so I should just give it up, eh?

Yeah, it is recommended

t. alcoholic working on cutting it down

What about marijuana? Or not enough research done, I bet...

Yeah, mostly the second part

From what I've gathered, if you're someone at risk of schizo genetically, smoking often can induce it earlier/make it more likely to develop

my guess with marijuana is that there are a lot of ugly truths about it people don't want to study, especially when 99% of people who end up doing a research topic related to it believe it can cure all ills and have a bias starting out

Drinking a beer every now and then or smoking weed once a week or something probably won't do much in the way of harm, but if you're someone with an addictive personality things like this are difficult to do, and sometimes maturity is just going cold turkey

i'm still working on it

Eh...I think my best bet is going cold turkey then. Hard shit to swallow, though. I have an addictive personality.

But one day, I might wake up and discover they found that nothing is wrong with smoking lots of dope. There's some anecdotal evidence that it's harmless, so long as you keep a healthy lifestyle. I guess that's the same for everything, though.

yeah, the approach I take at this point is that even if there was no bodily harm from any of these things (which is highly unlikely to be the case)

reflect on any time you didn't go out, meet with friends, apply to a job, do homework, etc. because you were drinking or smoking

for me I realized that if I had a supply of infinite beer and free housing, I would probably spend the rest of my life complacent as a drunkard until the day I died, watching YouTube videos or something

you have to personally ask if that's really what you want to do/be

these things become crutches for where you are lacking in some area in your life and make you complacent without it

I find that I usually drink most when bored, and I know there are far better things I can do with the time, but try telling that to me while drunk

it's a personal question if we pretend there is no bodily harm

hope your efforts go well

Personally, I've experienced memory issues after a year of smoking marijuana on a daily basis. Also some dissociative traits rose as well. Now after a few months of being sober all is gone except the memory problems.

Why, off chance, do you associate the risk of cannabinoid accelerated Schizophrenic systems with ugly truths about a non-lethal drug as opposed to ugly truths about the subtler social effects of the industrial revolution?

Just curious.

>ugly truths about the subtler social effects of the industrial revolution

because there are none to this

I think it kills the memory a bit,
i dont care though...

Weed just provides an alternate context to your usual one. You can screw up the identity of the altered context as readily as you can screw up your natural one. This change in context is why weed can help with depression, but can't cure it.

Answer unclear. What are you hiding?

OP here. These honestly aren't very scientific answers. I googled "does alcohol shorten your life span" and it came up with a bunch of clickbait articles from shit like Men's Health.

>(You)
>Answer unclear. What are you hiding?

Please, this is not within the scope of this thread nor board

do not attempt to derail it into politics

crawl, not walk, (mental exercise: picture yourself on your hands and knees crawling back) back to /leftypol/ or /pol/ or whatever primitivist internet community you're from where you can fantasize about living in straw huts and throwing mud at each other

Just because you can point out that we're in a 'post-industrial society' doesn't mean there's anything bad about

industrial revolution was a gain for everyone in humanity and a loss for none

please, either take the political talk somewhere else or just drop it

they're out there, check out this website

here's a UCL study about marijuana usage

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4880314/

>marijuana use

He asked about alcohol.

read above, he asked about both and i told him where to find more

qq more

It's all in the dosage.
Small quantities can help in the cardiovascular dept especialy wine, but drinking more than a couple of doses a day incrases the chance of developing cancers and diabetes and whatnot.

It seems that doing moderate sport on a regular basis negates the ill effects, though.

is it worth the brain damage, though?

bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j2353

here is the most well-conducted study on the subject long-term

Okay but realize that and >subtler social effects
And think about it.

Just curious.

pseudo science and pseudo philosophy parading as something substantial

not worth giving even a second of thought to

all complete immeasurable bullshit

but that's my opinion ;)

The people telling you that drinking shortens your lifespan is not 100% correct. If you just look at the expected lifespan of people and the amount they drink then you will see that people who drink nothing are actually way less healthy than people who drink some but not alot. Drinking nothing is (in terms of expected life length) actually worse than not drinking at all.

However this is NOT considering the reasons for a person to not drink. For instance it's widely known that people who don't socialize and live a happy life will live shorter. Since drinking is associated with socializing it's not unreasonable to assume that people who never drink live shorter not because they don't drink but because they don't have a social life.

Further yet alcohol and alcoholic drinks have been shown to have some positive affects on health. (yes the alcohol itself too).

Tl;dr it's a little more complicated than alcohol = bad. Not alcohol = good.

Really weird that you consider entire population movements to be immeasurable. Not sure how that works out in your head, but it's your mind.

Anyway, if you intuit out what psychological effects you expect to exist at the edge of a society founded on lies, you'll scientifically converge on the symptoms of Schizophrenia and depression. I'm not even saying you have to do this internally; you can select random groups of individuals and ask them various types of questions about the edge of a society, and when you control for "founded on lies," you'll see the pattern.

First of all eat a dick mr tripfag. Nobody likes your kind.

Secondly saying something as major as the industrial revolution was a gain for everyone and a loss for none is beyond stupid. Obviously anything that has any mark significant mark on reality will have negatives for some people. Example: The Industrial revolution lead to the downfall of the russian aristocracy. I'm quite convinced the Tsar didn't think it was positive getting killed and dethroned.

Saying something is a net gain is a valid opinion about something like the industrial revolution.

I stopped drinking 9 years ago. Best decision in my life.

i'll never drop trip

Well you are cancer :)

In the world of diarrhea of the mouth, the shithead is king.

aren't you that furry who used to hang out in /g/ desktop threads?

Listen op, here is a list of some of the greatest scientists that ever were. They lived in a time where the most entertaining thing to do besides talking about their research and postulations of hypotheses was tossing pennies at some young boy if he could successfully chase his hoop down the street with his stick.

That's probably one of the reasons why they were so productive.

I'll willing to say that at least half of these people were functioning alcohols, since psychedelics and amphetamines weren't invented yet, and it was the closest thing they could acquire to induce lucidity.

Don't feel bad op, I'm an ex alcoholic too, no psychonaut. The only difference between myself and the layman down at the local pub is that I spend my time drunk and high having fun conversations about research and science fiction with my colleges than I do about sports and stuff.

It's not the drug itself so much itself, moderation is key; and what you choose to do under its influence ever more.

yes

Depends in the dosage and your age.

Seriously, young men, do not get wasted until you are over 25, better over 30, as every alcohol-enduced blackout makes you dumber.

I wished I was wise enough when i was in my early 20s to stop having more than a couple of beers.

After a certain age, the only risk might bei damaging your liver, throat or stomach cancers.

Linking a picture of scientists and philosohers who drink excessively and die young just answered ops question

Don't forget abuot all the shit your heart has to pass through every time you drink a tad too much (over and over if you do it normally)

>There's some anecdotal evidence that it's harmless, so long as you keep a healthy lifestyle
Nah, THC alters hormones slightly so that fat cells get deposited in places they wouldn't normally, like the tubules in your testicles. A person in their 20s losing the thread of a conversation after months of daily use is so common nobody doubts that effect.
Any family history of psychosis means leave the pot alone, then again, i've seen many schizophrenics self-medicate with alcohol. Pot seems to do nothing good though as it's not as depressive as alcohol.

>who drink excessively and die young
most of those were around 70?

I can find nothing on this. Only the contrary really. Up to 6 pints (!) a day is supposed to be beneficial

basic problem here: You ain't those people. These guys could have been very well above your sober state while drinking 24/7 cause their base value was even higher.

There are publications showing that alcohol fucks with your memory and neural regeneration. I think it was about dendrite connections explicit. Been a while since i read it and got horrible memory myself.

Faraday appears two times in the picture.

R.I.P. John Dunsworth

yeah i look like a fucking ghost when i relapse bad and it can cause all kinds of health conditions. heavy drinking can make me FEEL like i am dying. and there is evidence of alcoholics having a lower lifespan mostly liver related. i wish benzos were a bit more like alcohol so i didnt have to drink to get the buzz i want. i prefered doing oxys and h, which are actually ok for your health up to RoA. opiates cause like no damage to the body, besides constipation.

Unequivocally

>does doing thing too much shorten lifespan
Of course, but if you drink responsibly effects are negligible. Up to two drinks a day has been considered in many studies beneficial, or least as harmful as not drinking at all

THIS

Generally drinking is bad for you, but the effects aren't so much that a drink or two is going to kill you. Additionally the socializing that comes from drinking is very healthy for you. Most of the health benefits from drinking probably come from the socializing rather than the drug itself.

>does taking a neurotoxin regularly
shorten your lifespan?
Of course not you brainlet

;) phoneposting is trash

it's a desktop

oh, you're on the phone

ok

Drinking is absolute garbage. The only reason people do it is because all the other drugs are illegal.