I memorized the entire dictionary in two years after only working part time and living alone with no pets or technology...

I memorized the entire dictionary in two years after only working part time and living alone with no pets or technology.

AMA

did you memorise the entire dictionary?
do you have any pets?
do you work part time or full time?

yup
nope
part time

page 343 22nd row right column?

Dollar or dollar day. Could even be dollar diplomacy

did you have technology?
how many years did it take?

I'm pretty sure you just made that up

I mean i had a fridge but no phone, no internet access

Two years of 5 hour dedications to reading and copying it down

Probably should say the pic related is not the one I memorized. Was something like the Webster collegiate seventh

How?

Very impressive!

Which is the best dictionary?

Probably pic related, even though I didn't memorize it it has more than what I memorized. Mine was older

what are some of your favorite obscure words?
like, really obscure

this

>with no pets
was that necessary? I have a pet python, he's pretty self sufficient but brings me much joy.

You should maybe get a pet.

Every day I sat down and read and wrote 10 pages for 5 hours.
There are lots of words that I feel like were created for the sake of saying it exists. Off the top of my head:
Gabelle: a salt tax
Goombah: older friend
quire: dozen sheets of paper or something weird

I just dont want the time to feed them and stuff. Could also be expensive

>memorized entire dictionary
>doesn't know what dictionary it was

Why didn't you buy a good one?

how well have you incorporated these new words into your vocabulary? Has this exercise made you a significantly better orator and writer w/r/t the time investment? Or have the gains been primarily in the reading department?

i said earlier im fairly certain it was websters collegiate 7th edition

just what my gram gave me before she died. Figured id just use it

Extremely. It's given me more linguistic awareness and tools to use in my writing. A lot of it was scientific vocab, but I like the exotic things I learned along my way and I find it easy to incorporate in my poetry without being pretentious

Why did it take you two years?
And what did you write?

it just happened to be that that was when I had truly memorized it

I ended up with a 2400 page rambling absolutely pretentious and exotic stack of pages. It's beautiful and I hope someone is autistic enough to publish it. It uses every idiom I know, every word, mixed with latin vocab and spanish ramblings.

Why you did that?

to say i could
to expand my vocabulary

Can you write a sentence with correct usage of at least five very uncommon words?

"Junket to uncial, blithersome collocations of gerfalcons"

Did you get anything out of it? Your posts don't really reflect a sophisticated vocabulary or deeper insight into English (sorry for being dickish, just being honest)

I did. I'm not really using it only because so much is for highly specific things. It would just make me sound pretentious, especially on this board. I'll usually try to slip a neat word or two in everyday convos though

Alright quick, what's the 37834 word in the dictionary no peaking.

that I have no clue. I do it by page and column.

Ok let's assume this is true. Why is nobody asking this, OP why did you do it? How did you muster the will of doing it?

That is great, i kinda sorta believe you now.

Ok, I didn't saw but still, 2 years 5 hours a day? Were you depresed, going through mental issues. I mean people have a really hard in general doing this kind of hardwork. If this is true, you really have great dedication.

I was going through some doubts as a writer and I wanted to set a challenge for myself. It was more of a patience and meditation method I wanted to go through.

Would probably recommend if you're serious about doing it. Don't let it abash your social web though. I would just come home and get to work and then have 3 or 4 hours to read/learn something

More precisely, what was your method of studying?

well for remembering the book I used the "jounrey method"
I'd imagine myself walking through life and a page would be associated with something. Repeat till done

I think writing my incoherent mess was something that entwined the words with my own, too

I think I saw an article somewhere with the same story.

seven up?

Define exhorbant

>quire: dozen sheets of paper or something weird
wut?
quire is not an obscure word
it is still widely used in publishing/printing today

price too high

I'd literally only seen that word in the dictionary

you're thinking of exorbitant