Would it float?

>Send parts to space
>Create sphere in vacuum
>Make sure it is airtight
>Drop it on Earth
>???

Would it float on top of atmosphere like a balloon on water or fall down and implode?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(tensegrity_sphere)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's actually an interesting concept. Likely, it would be impossible to build it strong enough to not collapse, or the re-entry to an atmospheric pressure in which it would float would damage it, but if you can make the engineering work, that would probably go just fine. It would have to be absolutely huge if it were made from metal though. I don't t think there are any materials strong enough to hold out enough air pressure to maintain a net density less than air.

If that worked we could use it as an anchor for a space elevator and just fish out things from the atmosphere like we do with boats on water.

it would definelty float, even spaceships nowadays which are pretty dense can bounce off the atmosphere when in reentry.

just think of the ball as a helium balloon with something lighter than helium in it.

how you would get something like that to stay up there or float on top like a boat without collapsing (for it to float in a stable way it would have to be MASSIVE) or fall into the atmosphere as air slowly leaked into the sphere. is well, the real question

To compensate for the leak you could use solar power to heat the inside enough to keep out whatever would otherwise get in.
How massive would you say it would have to be?

Gonna need nanomaterials.

Basically powering an arc welder insude would make sure nothing could go back in or at least it would reach equilibrium with in terms if whats seaping through and whats pushing out.

The problem is the material you are using. Nothing is strong enough to have a large enough space of vacuum to do that. Everything is too heavy and sink.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship

Wow no one has even successfully built one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(tensegrity_sphere)

What if you had two halves of a sphere made of the same metals, when you put them together in space wouldn't they weld together because of the vacuum?

muh strong force materials

No, you'd need to install vacuum welders around the edges, with robotic arms long enough to reach all parts of the seam.

you cant heat up a vacuum, the only efficient way i see for heating up particles that are spread that thinly apart it with microwaves.

but even then, alot of cosmic particles will hit the structure since it will be so huge that enough of them would hit it to cause alot of them to become trapped inside the structure (cosmic particles can penetrate tens of feet of concrete)

and over time those will build up, but you could in theory filter those out with electromagnets since they are charged.

its very difficult and expensive to make things airtight to the degree yoy would need this structure to be, because even when particles are heated it doesnt gaurantee that most of them will be filtered out. and accumulation of particles could cause the decay of the orbit of this craft withing a couple decades.

only if those two metal halves didnt have any impurities/ oxide layers/ coatings of anything on their surface

>tfw someone thought of this in fucking 1671
The answer is simple, electromagnets, they're strong enough to levitate a huge ass train off a track, i'm sure with enough power we could get enough force to support the vacuum sphere against atmospheric pressure.

>tfw i have no face

Make a hollow ice sphere in space

>cheap material
>heat resistant

Depends on the material you make it out of. Suppose it's some kind of material so thin and sturdy that you've effectively got a ball of vacuum and nothing else. Yes, the vacuum would float.

If the material is sufficiently heavy though, such that its mass is more than an equivalent ball of atmosphere, then it would sink.

I know Vacuum Airship concept, but my idea pushes it a step further.
They wanted to "blow up a balloon under the water", I want to "blow up a balloon and then put it on water".

We live on the bottom of the atmosphere, so physics are against vacuum balloons but taking them to space might give them a chance.

For answering this we would need to know material used for the sphere, weight of material, strength of wall of the sphere. It is possible that it floats if walls of the material are strong enough and density of it is lesser than upper layer of atmosphere

Hydrogen or helium are so light that you gain virtually nothing over just filling it with gas at the appropriate pressure.

Sure, just as long as the sphere was made of unobtanium