I'm interested in books about the sense of beauty. It could be a philosophical work, or fiction...

I'm interested in books about the sense of beauty. It could be a philosophical work, or fiction, or non-fiction investigation. I personally consider aesthetics to be at the core of all human decisions so I'd like to know more about the subject. Any suggestions?

aristotle poetics

The Selfie of Dorian Gray

Start with art history.

Only a Promise of Happiness: The Place of Beauty in a World of Art

Thanks, I've read Poetics though. Just to clarify, I'm not interested in just visual or 'high' arts, but the perception of pretty vs gross in general.

That sculpture really is a piece of garbage.

Is it even real? It looks like cgi or something.

Start with him.

Is this a screenshot from a video game? If this piece of art really exists, I am going to jump out of one of my windows.

Read Kant, then Bourdieu, then Schiller.

it looks shopped, you can tell by looking at some of the pixels

Hegel Intro Lectures Aesthetics

Burke's philosophical enquiry into the beautiful and the sublime is important and oretty accessible.

If feel like this sculpture is really wrong too but i can't tell why precisely
Why makes it so trash ? Is it too vulgar ? Is it the face that looks like a modern top model ?

the parts about the sublime were great but the work in general is sloppy or just plain outdated, like when he says taste is just water, oil, or salt. like nigga what? this nigga really never had umami?

It looks like a basement-dwelling 3D-modeller's idea of what the perfect woman looks like. Also has a hint of Japanese cartoonist's conceptions of western women. The breasts look like they would have implants. The lips too pouty and whorish. The haircut too modern. All made not to resemble classical art enough for it to be convincing in any way. It really is uncanny on many levels.

schiller's aesthetical essays - there's a free ebook on apple iBooks

It is a 3D render. How can you not see that?

I could see that, i was just wondering what made it so disgusting aestheticly speaking and answer is on point i think

Back to op's topic did Roger Scruton ever write somehing about that or is he just a meme ?

Stop screeching. We know that it is a 3D model.

The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion

The World as Will and Representation