Are nootropics a meme?

Are nootropics a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

worldchess.com/2017/01/25/special-report-new-study-finds-performance-enhancing-drugs-for-chess/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pretty much yeah

Has OP become a meme for asking the question of "Is X a meme?"

>Are nootropics a meme?
Yes and no.

No, because they may help you concentrate.
Yes, because pharmacodynamic tolerance.

Ultimately, they were designed for use on someone with a dysfunctional brain, not a healthy one. If you take dementia medication in order to improve neuronal functioning, you're going to cause some damage. Use a moderate level of caffeine and get better sleep hygiene.

>If you take dementia medication in order to improve neuronal functioning, you're going to cause some damage.
Pardon?
I used to megadose omberacetam and pramiracetam with a choline supplement (Alpha GPC) mixed into an unsweetened green tea everyday for a year.
Should I be worried?

is joe rogan podcast a snake oil bro science factory??

Absolutely, Satan.

The ones that increase brain plasticity, BDNF and NGF (piracetam, bacopa, lion's mane or others) can be useful for balancing out the negative cognitive effects of depression and anxiety, but they should not be used for extended periods of time and you have to remember that you are making a scientific experiment out of your own brain

>you have to remember that you are making a scientific experiment out of your own brain
That sounds awesome. I'm getting on nootropics asap.

Actually it's more intelligent and logical than it sounds.

A doctor can prescribe you meds to make your body healthier, but it's literally impossible for a doctor to look into your thoughts and see what you need. You are literally the best qualified person to take care of your own mind. A doc can prescribe meds but trust me, I know from experience that their methodology for finding what works best for you is literally random guessing and process of elimination.

I know that sounds strange to try to take care of your own mind, mainly because millennials have no sense of personal responsibility, but logically you have the best insight into the matter.
However with that said, some knowledge of how the brain works is necessary before blindly experimenting on yourself.

Yes
I'm not that user btw

I have some adrafinil coming, is that meme-tier or will it actually help me be productive as fuck? Collegefag here

It doesn't make you productive, you just won't get sleepy if you're being productive

No. Celastrus Paniculata and Clitora Ternatea have been well researched, worked a few thousand years ago, and still work today. Others tend to give and take.

this is why you should tell your doctor how you feel when you are on it so he/she can combine their knowledge with your xp dumbass

Most doctors are fucking faggots though.

The benefit of consistent sleep, exercise, nutrition, and a rigorous work ethic would do noticeably more.

I don't get the sleep meme. I always learn best when I'm sleep deprived.

I am that user. Brain drugs are developed based on the biochemical and physiological functions and consequences of the diseases that they treat.

If you don't have those diseases, you could fuck your brain up.

Pic related.

>implying I don't get all those side effect by taking caffein anyways

Are nootropics a meme? Nope, of course they're not. I have a bottle of Phenibut right next to me, and I've been taking 0.5g weekly and I can feel my IQ go up 5 points and my social skills increase 10 fold!

You just gotta believe hard enough fampai.

"Is X a meme" is a meme

>You just gotta believe hard enough OP senpai

t. Placebo effect

t. nootropics' store owner

I've posted this before and I'll post it again

Amphetamines are the only significant cognitive enhancer

uhhh you realize phenibut is addictive and you will go through wd if you stop right?

0.5 grams once a week. Yeah, i don't want to kill myself (more than I already do) so I try to keep phenibut intake low.

>That's the joke you autist
Stimulants that work, such as caffeine and amphetamines (efficacy on boosting intelligence is up in airs right now) is one way. Tricking yourself to the absolute max so that you can THINK you're the man is another.

I'm the famous Veeky Forums phenibut addict. I've been tapering for 3 months and I'm now down to 450mg a day. I'm an expert with phenibut, AMA

how bad did you want to kill yourself when you started tapering?

Not at all. If you keep yourself to tapering at just 10% a week, you don't feel that bad(maybe a little anxious the day after dropping)

My first taper attempt I lowered my from 1.5 to 0.9 grams immediately and it was unbearable. I read stories of people that do 10+ grams daily and cold turkey and think it must be what hell is like if there is one.

Phenibut is amazing socially if you just use like 300mg on rare occasions

To be honest, I've only started recently. Started at .25g, then .75g, then 1.0g. I felt effects at .75 and 1.0g and the only effect was that I felt like a zombie. Enlightened (or social for that matter, just kinda shambled around from class to class) I was not.

How much should I take to be socially lubricated?

Is it any good for studying?

.5g is enough. It's a lubricant, not mdma. It will help a LOT once you're already in a conversation/social situation, it won't make everything easy mode.

Not great, it will mess with your memory

I'm severely depressed and have bad anxiety problems but phenibut does nothing for me even at >2g doses. Any idea why?

>Not great, it will mess with your memory
Uh, so what is it good for?

It just doesn't work on some people, and if you're actually depressed, drugs won't help in the long run.

Social lubricant, and it puts you in a really good mood.

>2017
>using internet + smartphone as tool
>200mg caffeine pills to increase STM and facilitate faster STM to LTM encoding
>acquire skill 10x faster than normies
>make money from skill
>buy bitcoin
>sell bitcoin in 2030
>upload you brain into VR
>explore universe with anime waifu

Pointing out memes is itself a meme.

should I take the fish oil pillz

where do you get it from?

I'm not an expert on this particular supplement, but my snake oil detectors go quite high when such grandiose claims are made without the backing of scientific evidence, clinical trials, double blind studies, etc.

The supplement industry itself is notoriously filled with snake oil, woo and other quackery masquerading itself as evidence-based science, when it has zero evidence or clinical trials backing the claims made by the manufacturers. It's a multi-billion dollar industry with minimal governmental regulation; as long as a supplement isn't causing death or sickness it can be sold to the public as long as the ingredients are listed, and the marketers don't claim that their drug can do miraculous things like cure autism / cancer, etc. They also have to be labeled with a statement that "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA" or whatever.

The supplement industry as a whole is targeted towards dumb moms and men with deep pockets and are ignorant enough to not do any actual research to see if there's evidence backing the claims made by the manufacturers. New-age nutters and other assorted quacks go crazy for whatever new supplement is trending on their social media. Like I said, it's a multi-billion dollar industry and there is a lot of money to be made off dumb, ignorant people.

So more than likely this is quackery, I'll reserve my judgement for now unless someone can direct me to some legitimate medical studies / double blind trials showing their efficacy, but I doubt they exist considering proving a supplement is capable of crossing the blood brain barrier is work in itself, but proving that it actually enhances cognitive function is very difficult to prove, even in clinical trials.

You could avoid all the faggotry surrounded by neutropics by going to your doctor and saying "I can't pay attention". That was quite literally all I had to do to get a ritalin script.

Modafinil is legit from my experience, it really helped me be excited about doing something mentally demanding for 12+ hours without feeling tired or burned out in any way. I dont know if that even is in Nootropic territory still but honestly, it's fucking amazing at boosting your mental capabilities without the negative effects that traditional stimulants like amphetamines bring with them.
My subjective opinion aside, I also sort of measured this increased performance through competitive videogames (as autistic as that sounds but I'm talking top 0.01%) and it was very apparent that my brain was working faster, more consistently and without getting tired, to the point where it felt like cheating. Was cool.

>Modafinil
That's a legitimate drug, not a supplement, and you need a prescription to use it as it's a controlled substance. Completely different from Nootropics which are for the most part snake oil.

holy shit this is fucking gamer fuel tier shit

Lrn2meme fgt pls

only right answer

or just order it from india/german resellers

t. eats like a noob

yes

it's either placebo or will fuck up your brain in the long run

I know this is a meme, but has anyone actually tried these products and if so, are they even good? They look just like trail mix.

I take modafinil daily. Have seen noticeable increase in alertness, general happiness, and my marks.

there is only one brand you can trust.

So I just want to stress that for people getting into Nootropics you should definitly research the method of action or whatever.
Given I pretty sure the scientific community can't offically say how psychopharms work inside your brain, they can only theorize, buts its important to know either way.

Considering a lot of these drugs are supposed to treat maladies that pretty much degenerate the myelin sheath around your neurons.

If your myelin is "okay", it could make it "harderend", or it could actually cause it to deteriorate after you stop use of said nootropics, forcing to to take these drugs for the rest of your life, or end up with early on-set dementia.

but I am just speculating here.

>it's either placebo or will fuck up your brain in the long run
I'm pretty sure depression and gad fucked up my brain at least in the short term. I don't feel nearly as sharp as I used to, and easy things now take considerable more effort. Good sleep, diet and exercise definitely help, but even then the productivity and general wellness still waxes and wanes heavily in cycles. Would the damage from nootropics be worse than the damage from regular mental health malady's?

So... Is phenylpiracetam objectively the nootropic or not?

Anyone using moda/armodafinil? what's the fucking difference, I want to try it because I have a bad case of sleepiness even when sleeping properly for like 8 hours, I just feel tired and willingless and I have to take that shit for around 12 hours straight because of my schedule.
The pills are pretty expensive su dunno which ones to get or just get a trial pack

worldchess.com/2017/01/25/special-report-new-study-finds-performance-enhancing-drugs-for-chess/

Phenibut is a GABA agonist. GABA is the neurotransmitter that makes you feel calm. Alcohol, Benzodiapine and Xanax also increase GABA, which is why they are all addictive to people who are anxious at baseline. Not everyone is anxious at baseline, so when they take it the effect isn't the same as people who are anxious. It's the same for people with dopamine deficiencies who take dopamine agonists- they finally feel the same as everyone who doesn't have a dopamine deficiency.

>not just huffing gasoline right before you need to use your brain for that sweet 15-45 minutes of stimulation

It's a gray/rc market stim. I tried a bunch of those out during summer cal 2. Phenhlpriracetam did help that much. It certainly stimulated me it made my brain foggy. Caffeine is better imo

responding to forced memes is a meme.

I take 5-HTP for depression.
It helps noticeably.
When I stop taking it, I even get moody like a woman.

Tried Alpha Brain (returned it for the refund) and found that it had absolutely no influence on me. I cannot comment on how another person would react to Alpha Brain, or how I would react to another nootropic supplement.

I'm not willing to try anything else because nootropics are fucking expensive. Saw a "top rated" supplement could be $90 for a bottle of 60 pills.

>Not worth the money, drink black coffee like an adult and/or consume nicotine

The meds that your doctor gives you are thoroughly tested and are therfore based in evidence. The job of a doctor is to give you the meds that've worked thousand or millions of times. Something new trendy and untested might by chance by good, but a doctor should never prescribe something that's not based in evidence. Also
Years of education vs. hours of googling, what do you want to be the basis of your health?

you have no legal obligation to know whats in your "supplements". even if third party testing is questionable (consumerlabs). you're gambling for a possible couple percent. athletes taking ped are taking actual drugs just illegally. even nootropics are questionable. don't just consider "muh brain gainz" but the just as likely "muh lead, muh piss test positive trace drugs, muh money on snake oil"

This is correct. Just like any profession, there are bad doctors. But good ones practice what we call science-based medicine, and that does not mean treating "the disease and not the symptoms" or "focusing on the whole person" or whatever new age garbage fucking retard homeopaths like to spout. Speaking of which, can you believe our hospital here has an integrative medicine department? It makes me sick to my stomach. So much wasted money.

bum!