Knowledge

I have a big question. How to start with knowledge? Or, if this is not the right question. Where to start?

There is a lot of knowledge, and if we assume knowledge is better than ignorance, so we'll need it for our life. Maybe we need understanding.

I'm sure that one should start with math, but parallel to it: one should start with the basics like knowing how to breath, sleep, walk well or start with physics? It must be first history or neuroscience? Philosophy or learn how to write and speak the right way?

And after the first?

This is not a choose-an-option poll. Feel free to state your own ideas.

>code monkeys go away

Its worth mentioning that this is not about to start as a child. The knowledge for an adult.

>How to start with knowledge?
Read, read and then read some more.
Books that is, not 4chins.

>read
hmm. knowledge means experience. If you want knowledge you should take classes or ask someone in person. Better yet teach yourself through attempting a skill over and over

I think it varies from person to person. There's no right answer here, people are interested in different topics.

Where is the best place to start? It's wherever you want to start.

Literacy -> Arithmetic -> Basic Algebra -> Synthetic and Coordinate Geometry -> Conics -> Trigonometry -> Calculus -> Matrix Algebra -> Vector Calculus -> Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces -> Ordinary Differential Equations -> Proofs -> Combinatorics -> Vector Spaces -> Complex Variables -> Axiomatic Set Theory -> Mathematical Logic -> Point Set Topology -> Real Analysis -> Group Theory -> Abstract Algebra -> Non-euclidean Geometry -> Partial Differential Equations -> Fourier Analysis -> Algebraic Topology -> Complex Analysis -> Differential Topology -> Functional Analysis -> Lie Theory -> Measure Theory -> Probability Theory -> Statistics -> Algebraic Geometry -> Riemann Geometry -> Number Theory -> Cryptography -> Numerical Analysis -> Dynamical Systems -> Classical Mechanics -> Electrodynamics -> Non-relativistic Quantum Mechanics -> Thermodynamics -> Statistical Mechanics -> Special Relativity -> General Relativity -> Cosmology -> Theories of a Quantum Field -> Condensed Matter Physics -> Electric Circuits -> Electric Devices -> Digital Logic -> Computer Architecture -> Mechatronics -> Chemistry -> Organic Chemistry -> Inorganic Chemistry -> Biochemistry -> Pharmaceutical Engineering -> Medicine -> Chemical Engineering -> Material Science -> Civil Engineering -> Industrial Engineering -> OR -> Micro and Macro Economics -> Game Theory -> History -> Anthropology -> Linguistics -> Political Studies -> Law -> Ethics -> Philosophy -> Theology

Wow. Thank you for spending your time in this

Bump

start anywhere, my child. it is only in analogy that you understand the things.

>Where to start?
T H E G R E E K S

This will in no way benefit the ordinary human. This shit only sets you up for math career. You're an absolute idiot.

Start with research the fascinates you.

If you can't grasp the stuff you are reading, then go down the chain and the learn basics.

I'd recommend starting with old philosophy as it's the gate way to everything.

I'll add something to that so that I don't just criticise:

Understand politics and economy, really get a good grasp of various forms of government, their benefits, understand politican's motivations and learn to recognize corruption and conflict of interests. Have a good set of morals and educate yourself on modern problems that influence people and learn how to help in eradicating them, also learn history in broad and thin strokes.

This is much more pivotal in modern society than knowing how to transform PDEs or integrate over differential forms.

t. mathematician

I'm new. Why you put that name?
“!FzyDIYcS8A"
What?

Lurk more

Try start with things that help you survive in this hostile world.

I hate this world, but i want to know more about it.

The only thing we can know is that we know nothing.

It's easy.

No. Before start pursuing the knowledge, the understanding that one truly used to believe in the knowing of something, leads to realize that this awareness of the i-know-nothing-at-all is a hint of one being in the correct path to get into knowledge.

Just follow yor dreams

The only pursue of knowledge is the belief in Islam.
That's why you see Socrates is expressing the tawheed with his finger.

This:

>knowledge means experience
No, it doesn't. Know the difference b/t a priori and a posteriori.

Start with epistemology. What is knowledge? What can be known? How do we know anything at all? Once you've come to terms with that, the next steps will be obvious to you.

Start with philosophy, particularly epistemology and logic. You don't have to go too far indepth, just try your hardest to gain something from what you read.

Without letting it get to your head, take classical thought experiments (Ship of Thalassus, Hempel's raven, etc.) and think about them on your own without any guidance, and what they might mean to you. How the problems of identity, or the problems involved in ascribing essence to any object might work throughout your day-to-day. Once you think you've incorporated it into some kind of working model with what you already know, only then you should seek out the thoughts of others.

Soon enough, over time, you should have a good grasp on what it means to know things on a personal level- to ascribe identities, values, and even to differentiate objects. This is the cornerstone of knowledge, and is imperative to have some understanding of it in order to fully grasp anything else. There is no one understanding- that's okay though, it's just such that a coherent model can be formed for yourself that the utility is important.

From there, look at things on a systems approach. Knowledge you have =! Scientific knowledge and vice versa. Scientific knowledge exists within a system with which truths are referential only to it- similarly, mathematics, logic, history, language, etc. are all self contained systems for which there might be rights and wrongs within them, yet again there will be no 'objective' to be found anywhere.

Learning how a system works as a mechanistic macrocosm for the individual is incredibly important as well, as it will often give rise to knowing how such systems are born, how they propagate, and ultimately why knowledge within the systems are important, which will then allow assimilation of information to occur without dissonance.

For any formalism, again, epistemology and logic is your best bet.

Bumping

math and enough reading/writing to read literature/philosophy and write in a way to formulate and articulate your own thoughts effectively. Read literature to think the thoughts that people greater than yourself have thought already throughout history, without having to come up with them yourself.

Math is the foundation for any quantitative system, and also builds logic, so it is also a requirement.

Veeky Forums Veeky Forums Veeky Forums (Veeky Forums bonus) master race

People are gonna rail on this but it is unironically the truth.