What book do you recommend as a gift for a friend who is a freshman mathfag?

What book do you recommend as a gift for a friend who is a freshman mathfag?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
mathground.net/the-princeton-companion-to-mathematics-book/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_from_THE_BOOK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

blowjob

stfu

>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Overview_of_Mathematics
Heads up of everything to come
>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Light_reading
History

Or just buy him a doujinshi

thanks user, its her btw

Buy him a dildo you faggot.

Then just buy her kitchen equipment not books.

A nice edition of Euclid's elements.
It is a great book that any mathematician should read, it is not just about historical understanding but it involves some really great math.

The International Jew, Mein Kampf, World At The Crossroads, You Gentiles, Germany Must Perish, The Trail Of The Serpent, The Secret Powers Behind Revolution, 200 Years Together, A Program for Jews and Humanity, Protocols Of The Edlers Of Zion, Culture Of Critique, The Jews Must Live, On the Jews and their lies, Morals and Dogma, Proof of a Conspiracy, Magick, Talmud, Zohar

I would do something that isn't a formal textbook, unless she specifically mentions wanting a specific one. I'm guessing not yet since she's a freshman but does she have any favorite areas of math, or side interest in other fields like cs or bio or something?

* Godel, escher bach is a must read
* Code by charles petzold if they are into cs/computers at all. I think anyone interested in math/information theory would enjoy it though.
* A book on proofs might be good. I have "Book of Proof" but there's a few popular ones and they are all basically the same I think.
* Book on lambda calculus / SICP if they are into CS too
* book of math/logic puzzles (martin gardner is big)
* another one out of left field I guess but "Information Theory: A Tutorial Introduction" was really cool, and again I think a lot of logic-minded people can appreciate information theory, regardless of what ends up being their favorite branch of math or science.

The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

mathground.net/the-princeton-companion-to-mathematics-book/

>t. pseud
If you're falling for the old mathematician meme, at least get her a copy of the good old grothenmeme's egal. It's still highly educational to this day so apart from being a pseud, you actually have a chance to learn something.
If you don't want to embarras yourself, just buy her something unrelated to math. Or a nice mont blanc ballpoint.

Calculus - Early Trascendentals 8th Edition

Rudin

This

Epp's discrete math

fpbp

Asuka a shit

Fuck off to /g/ and don't come back.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_from_THE_BOOK

>If OP is gill:
Yes
>If OP is a boyo:
EVEN BETTER

Real intellectual ubermensch accept that giving gifts is illogical. Your friend knows what they want better than you know what they want, so it would be more economically efficient to just give them cash.

Also, perhaps they could just check the book out of the library and read it for free, in which case you would have completely wasted your money on this gift.

The only reason to give gifts is so that you can play the normie social signalling game, and since your friend is a mathematician, and not a normie, they won't be interested.

the only reason i give gifts its cause my mom tells me to

>>t. pseud
What?
It was a decent and interesting book to read.

Decent and interesting if you're a pseud or have no idea about contemporary mathematics. If you're in math, it's about as interesting as reading "how to peel a potato in 3 easy steps and why any other method is racist (buzzfeed™ orihinals®)" for a chef is. It's irrelevant to math as practiced today, it doesn't enlighten you in any way, it doesn't use anything an average child from elementary school isn't capable of coming up with. It's a waste of time, simply put.

If you can find Calculus by Spivak, that would work. It's multi variable calculus, but it starts out with simple things like limits.

shes gonna get it for free from the university but thats a smooth book right there.

offer to have sex, it'd be the dream gift for any typical virgin mathematician.