Should i take the plunge? Anyone actually read it?

Should i take the plunge? Anyone actually read it?

Nobody has actually read it.
It's been a meme for 90 years.

It's fucking boring man. Just read the first 200 pages and you get the gist of it. That's what I did.

Yes. It's top two best things I've ever read.
Trolls

Greatest six weeks of my life. Like getting your ass kicked on a daily basis, you come out strong like bull.

You musn't have very high standards

Can either of u help me determine if I am wasting my time in attempting Ulysses?

Brief background. STEM major, lit-brainlet, no real academic lit training beyond the typical intro classes. Read for own interest on spare time.

Mostly enjoy Camus, Hesse, early 20th cent history. i did read The Dead (quickly and in one sitting bc didn't know how else to approach it) and thot i was 6/10, of moderate entertainment value.

Wat do? Should I even bother with my background? Will I get anything out of it? If so, wat should I use to maximize my returns? Don Gifford's "Ulysses Annotated"? Anything else?

Should I just try a first pass alone, with nothing, perhaps even audiobooq it?

Trolling? You fucking wish I were trolling.

"Should i even bother with my background"

I'm not surprised you're posting a pepe if you're so stupid you think because you do tha math n tha engineers real gud that u cant reed

It's a fucking masterpiece of literature, it's worth it for anyone who cares to make the time and use the patience it takes to work through its mighty brilliance

Not OP, but what are the brilliant things about it?

Get some confidence user.
Just read Portrait (maybe Inferno if you want to, and hamlet) and then dive into Ulysses. Don't flip back and forth from a reference book. Just read chapter summaries after each chapter

is an expiritual experience
but is hard
when you hit ithaca it will totally worth it

cool, 2/3 there already.

when u say chapter summaries do u mean sparknotes?

I have 2 questions 4 u, user

wat's the other thing, and why is it not Steppenwolf?

Doesn't have to be (, and probably shouldn't be). Just find some summaries online that outline the general happenings of the chapter so you don't miss something important for later chapters. Think a couple paragraphs max per chapter summary.

Ulysses is very lyrical and you'll spoil the experience if you read it too slowly/cautiously, flipping between references, and trying to catch everything going on. Enjoy the forest for the forest and don't try to see every individual trunk

if it's lyrical, would it be inadvisable to audiobooq

honestly I am lazy and like listening to shit if possible and that is my only raisin to ask this question

how important is it to read the Odyssey?

Not. If you didn't know that it was a pastiche going in you probably wouldn't even realize.

There are some chapters that would lend themselves quite well to an audio book, if that's your thing. There's a scene where all the plot threads, characters, a song, etc., all coalesce and reach apotheosis simultaneously, which may or may not work based on the quality of the audio book. I'd recommend you just read it but if listening to an audio book is what it takes then yeah, go for it.

no dont audiobook it. have fun w it, but its still a book to read carefully.

More important than reading Ulysses, certainly.

For Ulysses? Not very. Generally? Yes, that's why we told you to start with the fucking Greeks.

yeah, iv read it. should you read it? idk. if you feel you should, the no. if ur interested in stream-of-consciousness or modernist experimentation, then yes.

It like getting punched over and over by a silverback until the end at which point the gorilla folds you into his warm embrace and protects you from the wild.