I am a philosophy undergrad with a deep interest in logic (both philosophical and mathematical) and set theory...

I am a philosophy undergrad with a deep interest in logic (both philosophical and mathematical) and set theory, which would most likely be the subject my final paper. Is there any possibility to go for MA in mathematics after that? Do universities generally assess the course you've taken or the paper you've submitted at the end of it?

Don't, user.
Mathematics is not about intellectual masturbation. It's about solving problems.

What is Foundations of Mathematics

>t. brainlet

how is your calculus 101 going?

Have you even taken math courses that aren't Freshman Calculus or Logic?

People call "intelectual masturbation" what they don't have the cognitive ability to comprehend.

philsoswag

Not particularly. I am in the British system, so my course is rather defined. This is really what I want to ask about: Is it possible to go for MA in maths with a specific area of interest or should I apply first for the BA and get an overall mathematical education?

whats the big deal about intellectual masturbation? its cool and good, i try to get one in as often as i can

I honestly have a hard time thinking you would do well with an MA in math without the same understanding of mathematics that an average undergrad math major has
Nothing stopping you from taking time off after graduation to learn on your own and apply to an MA program

Fair enough, thanks

>Mathematics is not about intellectual masturbation.

Wait. I-It's not?

If you are really interested in mathematical logic studying analysis and modern algebra on your own would be a good idea. You can build up mathematical rigor that would prepare you for an MA program

>I am a philosophy undergrad
lol
I suppose sociology was just one step too far? or maybe you preferred waffling over something applicable and not obvious/intuitive?

Why are you so salty about it? Meme charts of disciplines and your high school presumptions aren't most likely a sufficient criteria to assess my field of study.

this poster is right for a few reasons. In a graduate logic course, concepts from algebra and analysis, while not the core content, are going to be the main examples/applications of logic. I took intro graduate logic, and we spent a lot of time applying it to algebraic varieties, various kinds of groups, graphs, etc. You should also be somewhat familiar with topology for things like the omitting types theorem and related topics which will show up in any course worth its salt.

And finally, while everybody shit on this poster, this is the attitude of most people working in mathematics. They simply don't care about foundations. Most people even working in high level math like homotopy theory and stuff don't really care if category theory or set theory is "the" foundation - they use bits of both as necessary to _solve problems_. Even in departments with logic, people are often working on hot "applied" topics - o-minimality, etc.

Not saying don't do it, but what you are interested in might itself be more in a philosophy department than a math one.

wrong

OTOH, I applied for a graduate degree with something I only had a minor in. Research and grades in specific classes can be sufficient if you make a case for yourself.

Graduate Set theory fag, this is mostly correct. Most mathematician don't care about foundations. And if you were to go to grad school in math to do logic and set theory you would have to know a lot of algebra, analysis, and topology. Most current areas of research are in applications of logic to mathematics, you cant look at Henson at UIUC and model theory of metric spaces, or Borel complexity classifications of problems in algebra and analysis specifically ergodic theory. If you want to go to grad school and do foundations, get an undergrad degree in math, read philosophy for a hobby.

that is, more or less, what I wanted to hear.

Hey user; I have a BA in philosophy and an MS in mathematics so I might be able to help you out a bit. I've published papers in the areas of cryptography, complex analysis, and number theory, but in my experience with formal mathematical logic (epistemic modal logic) it's no joke and unless you are very serious in your comprehension it will completely go over your head. As someone on the spectrum I'd even say that it takes someone more autistic than me to get fully into it.

Formal logic in philosophy is pretty dead, so you would most likely be venturing into the areas of modal logic in mathematics to demonstrate various principles of epistemology and the like, so look into that and see how you feel about it. You could also get into early analytic/linguistic philosophers that have a heavy focus on logical principles in creating the foundation for their systems - Wittgenstein comes to mind as a good intro as the Tractatus can be understood independently.

What are you thinking about in particular with your final paper? What about logic interests you? Please tell me it's not so you can seem like a rigorous intellectual by using the cool symbols of set theory.

About Tractatus, I wrote a paper on Suszko's W-languages and their correspondence to Wittgenstein's ontology lately, it might be a good track. I am not sure about what particularly my final paper will be, I still have plenty of time to think about it.

Foundations and rigorous definitions in maths are kind of like memes in this website.
People from the outside (reddit, ...) might think that Veeky Forums is a website where you post memes, while it's so not. Most people come here to talk about things they're interested in, and memes arise naturally as part of the talking. Then other people come and use these memes to communicate other ideas, because it's an effective and funny way to make the discussion juicy. A newcomer (newfag) might get confused at first because all communications here are memefied.
And then there is that user who posts the /board/'s memes thread. And that's basically what logic is.

Im thinking if of getting a philosophy undergrad(if i end up at a school with a worthy program) and possibly a stat or math minor v double major
i would like to go into a philosophy, compbio, biostat or anything relevant to the mathy parts of ecology i want to go into.
i could likely be a worthwhile philosopher in my free time
im 21 and i have given myself an education in a number of topics, and know quite a lot in genera. i am learning logic and it is very intuitive to me, ive been reading about 45 pages of laws of truth for about 2 hours a day and i get the questions, i already cannot stop trying to model things and i just learned the beginnings of first order logic a week ago.
anyways that my blog
HOW AM I TO PURSUE MY GOALS WITH A 2.1 HS GPA
sure i can get prior learning credit but i want to go to an elite school for networking, resources, having intellectual peers. I could be doing big boy research right away.
high hopes, i know, buti am capable. I know very well this isn't something easy to do, especially if keep popping pills and smoking weed. sober for 3 months and my life was improving, it still is, only its hard to give a fuck
this asshole trade me his colonopin for my adderall
so i get too sedated to do anything important but the stims make me want to. i want to try to collect data on a heavily disturbed landscape and watershed abstract in to parts and model the landscape and its mereology where i can put a proposition into the model and find a model where it works like i want it to
it was a rainy day so im not going to be earth moving and im too dumb to work on my methodology rn
im just going to try to focus on some soil science, hydrology, riparian ecology, some limnology. a reservoir and entire catchment basin will eventually be my playground in developing computational tools for ecological medicine and engineering. this my hobby time, im a farmer.
give me education advice, for today im going to get into linux and GIS, read some.

OP here, I am amazed you produced that. It's accurate and amusing.

A tool for determining which tools xan solve which problems, among other things.

I assume you are talking about my idea for modeling ecological dynamics at a landscape scale. thanks, unless you are mocking me. i cant tell. what so so praiseworthy a poorly conveyed an idea?
anyways i haven't read up so much on computational methods in landscape ecology, but i think a mereological approach where parts have arbitrarily defined boundaries the extension of a predicate is the set of the relations of on part to another
i think a lot could be done with such a thing have many things like that, very valuable ideas that haven't been rigorously articulated, and formalized. im becoming more capable and I hope that once i have the machinery i can make something out of them
it also really want to understand homotopy type theory

your satire is fine (especially due to the fact that you implement ecology in that babble), but I am not certain to whom it is pointed. I don't think I have tendencies to over-intellectualise things and my question is genuine and modest. If you consider it too blogish, too much of an educational advice, then fine. But on Veeky Forums there are many competent and helpful people, so I decided to try anyways.