CRISPR

What are your thoughts on CRISPR and its potential?

Some fags say it's a meme, other fags say the opposite.
Been pretty interested in it though, I've heard about China doing shit with it, so here's hoping it's not just another popsci topic

why the FUCK can't they turn me into a qt furry girl yet????

My thoughts?
You can make monsters and sentient creatures in it.
What more is there to say?

>Thoughts

THOTS

>CRISPR in the lab
transformative technology. shit's magic bro, you try it and it Just Werks
>CRISPR as portraryed in popular press
complete bullshit

One shudders to think of the things that can be enabled by this creation. Think for a second.

This is able to make new species of creatures. Sentient or otherwise. Orks and elves might as well be fucking real.

More reptillian illuminati voodoo for cementing power in the NWO.

If it's a meme. Then all the professionals in my field are meme-lords. The discovery of the enzymes involved is currently compared to the discovery of PCR.

So; Its practical applications are immense, but just like PCR the majority of applications will not emerge in another decade at least. Because of patents and pricing.

All major world religions are having a melt-down because of this technology.

I am just sitting here playing the lyre while it all burns to the ground.

Truly this is world trembling technology.

DUDE.
TALKING CROWS.
LMAO
DUDE.
WAIT.
DUDE.
FUCKING DRAGONS.
LMAO.

youre retarded, thankfully your thoughts mean nothing off this website

holly shit you guys are really making it like it's a big deal.

do people actually believe this is some sort of miracle discovery and that humans have learned to author genetic code just like that? or is there alot of bait to be haf here

I did my thesis using CRISPR. It's a great tool and is gonna see a lot of development in these coming decades.

I kind of wish more people would actually research how it works instead of just being like
>"lolllll it's AMAZING we're gonna make designer BABIES :^0 ! I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE"

We could use it to genetically engineer niggers that don't act like niggers. From average IQ of 85 to 100.

The future is GMO niggers.

no

Checkmate.

If you know why don't you enlighten us?
Afaik the chance to fuck up the genome is what keeps it from being viable to mod yourself with it? Meaning you can get results but doing so you risk fucking your other genes up?

>designer babies
Kinda ongoing for a decade now - they take a bunch of fertilized eggs, let it divide so they can take a copy for screening and let the parent pick the one they like most with that data. Get's implanted in a eastblock foster mother so the wife doesn't even have to get pregnant.

YES BOI

Bumping for non autistic replies

>CRISPR
You can always tell when someone who doesn't know what they're talking about is trying to discuss genetics.

it really is. we've been trying to make ways to edit DNA in a sequence-specific manner pretty much since we figured out what DNA was. Doing it in vitro is pretty easy with PCR-based technologies, but editing in vivo? forget it. We have some stuff (cre/lox, zinc fingers, talens, etc), but they all either required recognition sequences already in the DNA to be edited (cre/lox) or they just plain sucked (talens/zinc fingers).

CRISPR works with high efficiency and specificity, the sequence-specific part is easy to design (talens were a nightmare and zinc finger was a shitshow), and you dont have to modify any proteins to do it.

like i said, it Just Werks

My sister has a partial chromosome deletion. Could CRISPR potentially fix this?

In the lab, on one of her cells? Yes
In her body, on all of her cells. Not currently.

>In the lab, on one of her cells? Yes
only if it was a mid-chromosome deletion. if it was something like the end of a chromosome's arms being lopped off, i really don't see how CRISPR would help.

Hi Nero

I really have high hopes for CRISPR but honestly if viral vectors didn’t do it then I hardly see CRISPR working properly on a human body, way too many variables to consider. I hope I'm wrong though

Just learnt this in a lecture. Seems exciting. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Could solve a tremendous number of problems if it works.

Only a brainlet or luddite would think otherwise.

CRISPR is literally a part of God's toolkit. It's unreal how powerful it is.

t. med student
kill yourself and your fellow medics

Pretty damn useful for getting rid of single nucleotide mutation diseases like certain hemoglobinopathies

True, useful to engineer CAR T cells to cure cancer

Geneticist here, people overstate the ability for CRISPR to be usable in a human fashion reliably for treatment, at least in the near future.

For industry though? Hooooly shit CRISPR is the goddamn future. The ability to move genes around, for production of biochemicals at a base level is one thing, and has already been done with insulin from E.Coli, but with refinement, it's not impossible to see in the next decade factories that can grow animal fur or hide on racks, or ivory on a vine, or meat in vats. Some basic systems are already showing up for it- it will honestly revolutionize the materials industry, and as we discover more developmental nuances, potentially others. I'm not talking about something as outlandish as growing things in extremely specific shapes- but it might be possible to get rough shapes that only require minimum trimming to turn into, say, furniture.

People have no imagination when it comes to CRISPR. It's all about new, fancy animals, or curing disease, or superhumans or whatever. But the implications of editing genetic code are much cuhrazier and funner in my opinion.

They're beginning to solve the mosaic issue which will be a godsend seeing as i have crohns and it's a real candidate for the therapy, with intestinal stem cells and marrow all being viable targets.

Can it cure my baldness?

Do you think we can we create beings who like/enjoy being slaves? And create a business that sells these beings to normal humans?

Would it be unethical to sell them into slavery as long as their pain receptors are turned off and they actually enjoy being bossed around, abused, raped etc?

Bump

what about an addictive tomato?

We already have a cure, it's called finasteride and hair transplants.

It is THE most promising emerging technology in medicine

you could do that without CRISPR. give me a million bucks and I could probably do it.

We do. They are called liberal arts majors.

>hair transplants
enjoy your plughead

nice how would you do it? one million sounds very cheap for a biotech thing

We know the biosynthetic pathway for nicotine. Tomato transformation vectors and protocols are routine and not too difficult. Some basic cloning, transformation of the plants with Agro, selection of transformants, verification of the mutants.

If everything goes well, it's a couple years of work, and most of the money goes to equipment and consumables. If it doesn't go well, you're looking at maybe a decade of work. Possible problems: what promoters do you use for the genes, where do you express the genes, how much of the pathway do you need to move over into tomato and how much can be piggybacked, maybe the whole strategy just doesn't work...

holy shit a DECADE? i thought the whole point of cispr is that its fast...

CRISPR doesn't help you here. It's not even necessary. We're not knocking genes out, we're moving genes from another organism, and there's easy, well-established methods for that.

This guy is talking about the old fashioned way.

With crispR you can make the change and plop it in a vat to grow for nine months, then out comes the human/whatever baby...err....thing.

Conception at the speed of humanity.

But it's still real hair just moved from back to front

I didn't say it wasn't real.

Then what's your problem with it?

I think it's great. Food needs to be cooked more in general.

it looks very bad

so why is there a dynamite stick in that picture?

It's CRT compared to 4K.
Excellent step, but much better method is likely out there.

Has a civilization-defining potential. But first someone has to map and analyze whole function and potential of the human genome, which will probably take 20 years (maybe 10 in chinkland). Next, you have to figure how to edit already living organism (by modified viruses or something...) which will also take time to develope. There's a good chance your grandchildren will be extensively genetically modified. Not to mention the new era of GMO crops that will be needed and delivered by this tech and which will probably save human civilization.

This is a little tin foil hat for me. I think we'll end up using it to cure disease in gene therapy but it'll be a long time before we actually end up using it to regularly modify embryos in the general public.

>Not to mention the new era of GMO crops that will be needed
honestly? probably not, at least not for a long time. Most of the focus in ag-industry is about stacking genes for things like disease resistance from a wild variety in a crop cultivar. you don't need to make site specific changes for that.