What are your favorite short books Veeky Forums? Something you can read in a day, less than 200 pages...

What are your favorite short books Veeky Forums? Something you can read in a day, less than 200 pages, preferably even less than 100.

The Hour of the Star
The Invention of Morel
Sombrero Fallout
Loitering With Intent

I must admit, if a book is longer than 300 pages it tends to lose my interest. I don't know how people sit through 1k pages of something.

Depends on whether the subject deserves that much written about it.

Most novels of Philip K. Dick regarded as good or great, like Ubik, Electric Sheep, High Castle and those collected in the three LoA volumes.

Borges. I've read Fictions so far, intend to read El Aleph.

French 20th century: Gracq, Tournier, Bernanos.

The Molloy trilogy of Samuel Beckett.

Kafka.

Plath's The Bell Jar.

M.R. James' Ghost Stories

Do people really like reading novels that are less than 200 pages? I'm not asking with ill intent or to be a troll- I'm a new author and I've always thought that most people prefer books that are around 300 pages. That is my personal preference, but maybe i'm completely wrong?

Thanks, I like Borges though I've only read The Library of Babel and Tlon Uqbar Orbis Tertias. I have a book of his essays sitting around I've been meaning to crack open. I'll check the rest out.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I'm becoming retarded by information overload these days. If I'm reading a book that I can't finish in one sitting, I probably won't get around to picking it up again for a couple days, and by then I'll have forgotten what I already read.

Most of Poe's stuff

The Death of Ivan Ilych

Bartleby, The Scrivener
Molloy
The Loser
Invisible Cities
The Crying of Lot 49
Death in Venice

I find Gracq's prose so lush that I can't read too much of his at one time. It's not necessarily hard, it's just that I find myself daydreaming, eyes set off beyond the horizon, mind trapped in his worlds, lost, numb, but in a pleasant way.

All great choices, except Muriel Spark of which I hadn't even heard.

Dream Story (Schnitzler)
Cannery Row (Steinbeck)
Solaris (Lew)
Rituals (Nooteboom)
The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

One of my favorite works of fiction is 'Het behouden huis' by W.F. Hermans, but I'm not sure if there's an English translation.

A Sorrow Beyond Dreams by Handke
Letters To A Young Poet by Rilke

Caligula was nice

White nights by Dostoevsky

you can tell in those sculptures they knew the detail was an epic meme ahead of time. desu it just looks like spaghetti. they shouldnt have tried lol

Train Dreams
Steps
The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Nod

only illiterate faggots like 200 and under page books.
honestly under 300 is trash tier and for losers who can only read fucking picturebooks.
good books are minimally 300, I prefer ones around 500. First thought.... name of the wind. If it's really good there is no page limit, I'll read thousands of pages.

My favorite quadrilogy:

Tonio Kroger
The Sorrows of Young Werther
The Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis
The Confusions of Young Törless

>recommending NoTW

The Crying of Lot 49

The Stranger

Animal Farm

A Clockwork Orange

Diary of an Oxygen Thief

These are the titles that come to mind but there are more.

robert firbank, the flower beneath the foot
jane bowles, two serious ladies
james hogg, ...confessions of a justified sinner
william burroughs, the wild boys
kenneth koch, the red robins

The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Farmer Giles of Ham
The River Between
The Metamorphosis
The Communist Manifesto

The Stranger
The Tunnel (El Tunel by Ernesto Sabato)
Crash by Ballard
Nadja by Andre Breton
Mrs Dalloway
The Foundation Pit by Andrei Platonov
The Alteration by Kingsley Amis
anything by Kafka
Agua Viva by Clarice Lispector
Sylvie by Gerard de Nerval
The Age of Reason by Sartre
Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

How can anyone assert that shorter fiction is necessarily inferior or less developed than longer writing?

pedro paramo

A Clockwork Orange is the biggest crap ever written.

>invention of morel
?

rip