How do I stop being a lazy piece of shit, scientifically speaking

How do I stop being a lazy piece of shit, scientifically speaking.

I'm extremely motivated to study/work for like 1-2 weeks where I don't use any cell phone/ internet amd completely immerse myself in studying things I'm interested in + college stuff only. But after a week this goes away and I'm left being a total lazy piece of shit who doesn't even go to any classes for at least 2 weeks, before my period of productivity starts again.

How do I stop this from fucking happening over and over?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNcAJRf3bE1IJU6nMfHj86W
erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=6685
pastebin.com/d0vnfrmA
medicaldaily.com/adhd-drugs-dont-lead-better-performance-school-focused-children-still-need-direction-study-says
academic.oup.com/ijnp/article/17/6/961/692761/Cognitive-effects-of-methylphenidate-in-healthy
clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT01533493?sect=X5#more
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3489818/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

take drugs that make your manic phase last forever
I suggest amphetamines

Nah, I've cut out all nicotine & caffeine from my life. Don't wanna fuck with that shit again.

How did Einstein maintain the motivation to wake up every single day and study like wtf?

I literally just start binging on tv shows or playing video games 24/7

It sounds like you might be burning yourself out. You need to move at a pace which is reasonable for yourself. Work hard, but understand that resting is a part of being able to work effectively. Don't feel guilty when you are resting, it really is necessary, and feeling guilty will prevent you from feeling the full benefits. You need to try and strike a balance between work and rest, instead of bingeing on one or the other full time.

Do people usually have a set schedule they follow? Like a Google doc sheet which says what to do when, followed down to the minute?

I was wondering if adding some daily entertainment to my schedule would help. What's a good work/enjoyment balance?

I don't follow a set schedule but coming from someone who practices many skills, it is easier to create a short manageable routine regarding each thing you want to do than going through phases of long uninterrupted practice.

Remember that motivation is fleeting, and that discipline is long lasting. If you have like a 15 minute routine you do every day for something, it's pretty easy because even if you don't want to do it that day, it doesn't take very long so you're more likely to do it.

Don't bog yourself down with overly precise scheduling, but definitely build good habits by taking small steps to your lifestyle changes, not large leaps.

Some people do, others don't. If you think it might help you, give it a shot. I think outlining goals for the day and having an idea of when you will work and when you will rest might be more healthy thing trying to figure out what to do each minute.
I think it is a good idea to try and have some sort of rest or entertainment each day. Exactly how much you need and of what sort is going to depend on you, you'll need to experiment a little before you find what feels right. To start with, when you're working, stop and ask yourself from time to time if you're still being productive. If you're not really going anywhere, you should take a break. From there, you'll get a feel for how long you're able to work effectively and plan around that. Also try to take care of yourself, eat well, sleep, and exercise. It will improve your focus and the quality of your work. If you manage to take care of yourself and you try to pay attention to when you need to rest, you'll see huge improvements.

i was motivated. once.

half a dozen fruitless projects later and i don't have much left in the tank.

You're a loser.

bump

Help

Final bump before thread dies

>le feynman was average meme
Feynman was different because he was a successful physicists and only high IQ, where as most are genius IQ

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNcAJRf3bE1IJU6nMfHj86W

>crash course

Stop. Tell me when they post anything worth anything.

Take amphetamines or ritalin to raise your prefrontal cortex dopamine levels. Enjoy your eternal motivation.
Genes. Einstein was most likely born with genes that made him immune to dopamine tolerance. This is why he was able to do the most boring shit for hours and why most people achieve success and others don't. Just a few rare genes.

Stop being so prejudiced and watch the damned series first prior to judging a book by it's cover you fucking retard.

But you develop tolerance to ritalin/adderall after a few months. What then?

Then you already have developed a productive habit and have no need for drugs.

ritalin doesn't really develop tolerance
as for amphetamines - shit happens, take more

So when you stop taking it you crash and burn? Great idea faggot, let's attach your life's work to a pill.
So your response is to just keep upping the dose? Until when? There will come a time when you can't increase the dosage anymore. What then?

supposedly, you don't develop tolerance at therapeutic doses. in my experience, their effectiveness tends to decrease over time if you take them for long enough, regardless of the dose.

Yeah, this is why I don't wanna take drugs. Really don't wanna go that route.

>So when you stop taking it you crash and burn? Great idea faggot, let's attach your life's work to a pill.

>Hurr durr what is responsible and safe use?

not him, but it's better than doing nothing. if there are people like einstein who have the motivation and drive to work tirelessly on difficult problems, then it makes sense that there are people on the other end of the spectrum. but that doesn't mean they want to be underachievers or that they don't have an interest in academic pursuits.

>Then you already have developed a productive habit and have no need for drugs.

you'd be surprised how much of your productive habit actually comes from the drug.

you can be productive, motivated, and focused for a few hours, and then you can feel it all come apart as the dose wears off. it's awful.

Coffee: erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=6685

Try lisdexamfetamine, srly.
Slow constant release into bloodstream induces a reduction in all adverse effects while maintaining the potency of amphetamines. After a week on it you'll feel like a super-you version of yourself.
Bad side is it will be hard to leave it after some time since you will constantly compare your productivity while on the drug (which is astonishing) vs without it and you will want more of it

or you could try synergism with memantine

Could you mail some to me if you have some? Ready to pay

your cited reference only shows that caffeine improves alertness and performance and even that is mostly only in sleep deprived people
nowhere does it say anything about motivation, focus or pleasure from finishing a task
yeah use a compound that is barely researched and only proven effective in people with alzheimers, good idea
there's some evidence lisdexamphetamine is neurotoxic even at very low (therapeutic) doses

also OP what you described sounds kind of like bipolar disorder
have you ruled it out?

are you nuts? there is plenty information on the use of memantine in ADHD:
>10.3109/15622975.2011.623716
>"Memantine versus Methylphenidate in Children and Adolescents with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial"
>"Memantine: A Review of Possible Uses in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry"

>"...lisdexamphetamine is neurotoxic even at very low"

Please elaborate.

so you cited some studies that show memantine is effective in treating ADHD, nice
how does that translate to healthy adults though?
not to mention the fact that the first study says memantine is significantly worse than methylphenidate and the second one only analyzes its effectivenes in terms of treating a few disorders including ADHD
you can't assume it will work for you if you don't have these disorders until there are studies done on healthy people
it's like taking baldness-curing pills when you have head full of hair

1. You said there was a risk on using memantine because there were no information on it. False, there are plenty of studies, like I already shown, and none of them said there were major risks on using them to treat ADHD, it is not addictive, not toxic, neither accumulative, it has adverse effects like any other drug in the world. The reason why it is a last alternative to treat AD is because it is a NMDA antagonist and using it in early AD would be contradictory, but it is known that in late AD the neuronal damage is such that change in cellular environment induces dysregulation of homeostatic functions and strong excitotoxicity mediated by NMDA channels, that is the reason why it is a last resource option.

2. Methylphenidate is one if not the most potent alternative to treat these diseases, to find a drug stronger would be a major breakdown so why would you be surprise that it isn’t stronger than methylphenidate?

3. It is widely known that certain medications, like methylphenidate for example, do not improve academical performance in non pathogenic individuals but amphetamine is known to do so, it was even used to be given to soldiers in other to improve their performance under sleep deprivation. Currently, memantine is not being proposed as a first line therapy but rather as an adjuvant therapy to improve the effectiveness of other drugs, like amphetamines or its derivatives by synergic effects. The fact that it hasn’t been approved yet doesn’t mean it doesn’t works.

4. Still waiting for your proof to back up lisdexamfetamine’s supposed neurotoxicity.

>1.
Like I said there are only studies done on people with ADHD. You don't know the risk of taking it if you are a healthy adult since there are no studies.
>2.
The study didn't examinie strength but efficiency of treatment. There is no memantine dose that is as efficient as given methylphenidate dose.
>3.
methylphenidate doesn't improve academic performance? do I even have to reply to this bullshit?
>4.
I have to link the studies in pastebin since links trigger the fucking nigger spam filter: pastebin.com/d0vnfrmA
[1]
a large meta-analysis: [2]
[3]
Too much dopamine itself released by amphetamines is oxidative: [4]

I don't doubt memantive works in people with ADHD. I doubt it has any significant effect on healthy adults until there are studies done.
fucking retarded filter thinks my post is spam

1- What’s the difference between someone with ADHD and a normal individual? Deficiency in dopamine transporters, does memantine acts on this level? No it doesn’t. Could you correlate this with normal individuals? You could yes, sure you need studies to get a confirmation and yes I do agree that monotherapy is useless with just memantine because of the existence of better alternatives, what I am defending though is its use as an adjuvant therapy combined with low doses of lisdexamfetamine (LDA), a memantine induced synergism which is the reason why memantine is on the highlights of ADHD treatment and in Neuroenhancement research.
Though the idea of using it as such is not as crazy as you made it look on your original response.

2- same thing, methylphenidate is one of the most effective drugs in the treatment of these diseases, and again, a drug more efficient would be a major breakdown, my point stills applies

3- “bullshit”, I’m reconsidering if I should take you seriously or you are just trolling. In long term it is highly discussed if stimulants do really help in academic performance and you should know this.

medicaldaily.com/adhd-drugs-dont-lead-better-performance-school-focused-children-still-need-direction-study-says

> “Prescription stimulants in individuals with and without attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: misuse, cognitive impact, and adverse effects”

4- In the first study the only mention on LDA is in abuse of the drug by doses higher than those of therapy, this isn’t surprising, any psychoactive substance will be neurotoxic at high doses but not at “very low doses” like you stated previously. The other studies you linked don’t even mention LDA at all. I do agree that pure amphetamine therapy is indeed very dirty, that is why it got replaced by methylphenidate over the years, the breakdown of LDA though is its low constant release and low risk of abuse making it a much safer alternative.

Bump. Gonna start drinking coffee from tomorrow morning. Let's see how it goes.

dont worry, it doenst have Cuck Green presenting

far more likely to be ADHD

t. 16-year old

It permanently increases motivation?

I work with a guy who never stopped doing drugs in his youth. Had a brain haemorrhage on the job last year and he is a complete maniac workaholic.

I wouldn't consider myself super productive -- I get stuff done but mostly because I have so much free time that its inevitable -- but I have questions abt this as well. I make music so I guess it's not quite the same as doing Veeky Forums work but I feel like there are parallels.

For the most part, the most useful stuff I've ever discovered in regards to productivity are like:

1) Stimulants. Especially with music stimulants sometimes hold you back creatively but knowing when to use and for what purpose can help a lot, I feel.

2) Have some level of work you do every day, without fail. Read something about how Jerry Seinfeld use to do this. For example, in the last 4 months I've only gone 2 days without doing any sort of music work, while having a job and being in uni. There will be days when you get home late and are like fuck this but if you have a schedule you'll do it just cause you have a streak going.

3) Cutting off internet and wifi. I work in a shed behind my house which has very poor service and no wifi. Makes a big difference.

The only source of laziness I have yet to kill is that I often talk to myself and zone out thinking about other things in my life while working, and to an extent I believe I consciously do it. I don't think its inherently bad but sometimes it goes on for detrimentally long. Don't know if there's any way to really stop it but maybe someone knows a good method.

1. Nobody knows exactly what the difference is between people with ADHD and without. It's a complicated disorder. You can't just assume it will be good for you if it's good for people with ADHD.
2. maybe, maybe not - let's ignore this point as it's irrelevant to the discussion
3. ok bro u're making me flip my shit there, did you even read the article you linked? it shows that people WITH ADHD on ADHD medication perform the same as people without ADHD. no fucking shit sherlock, ADHD medication is meant to normalize their brain and behavior and the only thing this article proves is that ADHD medication indeed works.
the study you cited says abusing stimulants is dangerous (no shit again), but they do boost your performance
I can link you thousand studies showing Ritalin does boost your performance, learning and cognition significantly, if you think otherwise you're spreading bullshit
this alone should be enough, tell me if you want 100 more
academic.oup.com/ijnp/article/17/6/961/692761/Cognitive-effects-of-methylphenidate-in-healthy
4. no they don't - this study has a whole section that examines amphetamines neurotoxicity in therapeutic doses
the other studies don't need to mention LDA as it's a part of bigger group of compounds called "amphetamines" and there is absolutely no difference as LDA is still metabolized to amphetamine that gets to your brain, the route is just different

1- My opinion of memantine as a neuroenhancer is only hypothetical, comparison of outcomes between two similar groups is a valid observational tool for the construction of an hypothesis, that is “memantine may be a useful neuroenhancer in healthy individuals”. My original comment on memantine was in its used associated with other stimulant for adjuvant therapy, I do not endure the use of ADHD medication to normal individuals. I agree that you don’t necessarily had to knew about the use of memantine as a synergic alternative since it is a novel concept, but it is by no means “barely researched” or “only proven effective on AD”. Though not approved by the FDA there are current small clinical trials on the subject.

>clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT01533493?sect=X5#more

Interesting is that looking for clinical trials on the subject I also found that there is interest on the use of memantine in other pathologies aside of ADHD, specifically OCD

3- Someone has Reading problems I see, I am not talking about immediate improve, because it clearly does improve certain cognitive functions on the short term, there is nothing to discuss there. However, on the long term; that is, chronic usage of stimulants, opinions is divided. A study even found that pure stimulant therapy doesn’t improve long term academic performance even in ADHD patients by its own, in order to treat an ADHD patient correctly you need a mixed therapy of stimulants and non pharmaceutical treatment, and this is well known. On healthy individuals, there are no conclusive results on the outcome of long term therapy with stimulants. One difficulty of elucidating this is the variability between individuals; conclusions from one study say “lower-performing individuals were more enhanced than high-performers. Thus, the drugs do not offer as much help to people with greater intellectual abilities.” Other say “The results of these studies currently provide limited support for the enthusiastic portrayals of cognitive enhancement.” others even argue that placebo may influence a lot but non say that long term academic outcome is improved in this population, one possible argument against this though is that currently there are no sufficient studies to say it doesn’t which is true, but with the same logic, you can’t say it does so yes, there are divided opinions on this topic and again, it shouldn’t be an alien concept at all to you. You should know this.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3489818/

>DOI: 10.1177/1087054714566076

4- I am very aware of oxidopamines neurotoxic effects. And also I am aware of the mechanisms the body has to deal with this product the body produces physiologically. You should also be aware that in the 80 years we have been using amphetamine to treat ADHD in therapeutically doses the risk/benefits of this therapy are clear, amphetamine is an effective therapy that improves the outcome on this patients if the treatment is correctly performed. The idea of making a crusade against amphetamine due to results in animal models that are by no means conclusive is just irrational and poor in thought. The only other alternative to amphetamine treatment is methylphenidate which is an amazing weapon against ADHD but it is not perfect, there is an important population of individuals who do not respond well to methylphenidate but do in amphetamine therapies and you can’t deny them treatment because of a self jihad against this drug when the clinical trials are more than clear. Anything else is theoretical and acceptable on the whiteboard but until you don’t have conclusive results on clinical set ups you just cannot deny treatment to a patient that needs it.

Hey OP, I'm kind of similar in that I study in big bursts like you're describing and other times lay around and do nothing for longer than I'd like to admit.

Here's some good advice I've heard. The truth is that these kind of cycles are a part of life. It happens to everyone. Everyone is going to have periods of high energy GO-GO-GO times where they can get all of this incredible work done, and everyone is going to have periods where they just don't want to do a thing and can barely get the motivation up to even start working on the simplest stuff.

Here's the advice. When you feel a cycle of intense work coming on, don't let up. When you feel you're starting to enter a phase of extreme productivity, own it. Go as hard as you possibly can, harder than you've ever done before. Take great advantage of these times, but recognize that it's not going to last forever. That's why you need to go as hard as possible during these times- because it's going to stop at some point.

When you get burnt out, it's ok. It's ok to relax and chill out for a bit. You've earned it. Try to keep at least a little bit of a work ethic going during these periods. You do need to keep functioning and taking care of your responsibilities. But in these times, you don't need to worry about going above and beyond and doing the most amazing work possible. Just relax, have some fun, chill, take it easy.

Soon enough, you'll start to feel another cycle of productivity coming on again.