Answer me this, Veeky Forums

Why is there something rather than nothing? It defies cause and effect because the first thing had to come from no thing. So why exactly is there something?

>cause and effect meme

there's your problem

>So why exactly is there something?
Nobody knows. Go get a degree in physics and call us if you find out.

question should be "how?"
why makes no sense unless you think the universe somehow understands concepts construed through the english language and which were heavily influenced by western philosophy.

>So why exactly is there something?
Nobody knows, and most likely nobody of us will ever know.

>Why is there something rather than nothing? It defies cause and effect because the first thing had to come from no thing.

Therefore, there is no such thing as cause and effect.

QED

If you make your arguments unsolvable, why are you surprised when you can't solve them?

Memes aside, this question really bothers me and makes me lose sleep, I don't care if it seems silly. I watched some Lawrence Krauss interviews and lectures and I'm just more confused about the whole "nothing is inherently unstable" thing.

Absolute 'nothing' would have no laws of causality, physics, or anything else to prevent 'something' from happening. Therefore 'something' doesn't require a reason or first cause to exist.

When physicists say "nothing" they don't actually mean nothing.

Your question is wrong. There IS nothing. You just can't observe it because you are something. There is nothing where there isn't something.

Krauss is a joke. Ignore everything he says.

Seems more detailed than Kaku/Tyson and for the first time I can actually insert some quantum mechanics concepts into my brainlet.

Then how come I am something? Regardless of wether or not cause and effect is a thing, how am I me?

The self is a spook.

This makes sense. The nothing that was had no laws that prevented the thing that currently is from retroactively establishing it's own laws.

YOU are something by definition. YOU can't be nothing, by definition. Had you turned into nothingness - that wouldn't be what we define as you anymore.

question should be "why haven't you killed yourself yet?"
how makes no sense unless you think the universe somehow understands concepts construed through the english language and which were heavily influenced by western philosophy.

That would really suck if there was nothing. I can't even comprehend nothing.

If there was nothing there wouldn't be retarded threads asking about it, this question only exists in a state where there is something. That's why there is something, because otherwise you wouldn't be there to perceive it.

But what if there's nothing instead of something.

We don’t know, so at best you’ll get to hear that, at worst you’ll hear some obtuse blabla from someone trying to cover up that we don’t know.

You could of course just say that near a singularity we can’t really expect the laws of physics to work, as they are just models to describe our regular, near “flat” spacetime

That doesn't answer why there is something, it only answers how you can verify that there is something. I don't think there's anyone doubting there is something, fool.

But what if there's something instead of nothing.

Why is it necessary for something to come out of nothing when something already exists? Everything is a cycle of energy and sheit

Do we know that something came from nothing or was there always something?

>the first thing had to come from no thing
Says who?

>Why is there something rather than nothing?
Because you consdering this question requires for you to exist.

>We all were created in a lab by aliens
>Alians can't be nothing 'cause they're aliens
>You are wrong

Because God

T. Leibniz

Cause and effect doesn't exist.

Hahahaha you're all simulations, I'm the only real being in this world. You're all just npc's in my reality

the existence of anything in the present requires the existence of something in the past, likewise for nothing to exist there must have been nothing before either. basically "just because"

Which god?

I was a solipsist before it was cool.

In order for us to experience the unlikely event of something existing, we have to exist.

We observe causality all around us. But none of us have observed the birth and pre-birth of a universe.

I believe there exist some theories that suggest the laws of physics begin to bend when under an extreme force; such as that of a black hole's gravity.

So it is not a stretch to consider that perhaps causality itself functions differently in a particular situation that involves the birth of a universe.

Just a wild hypothesis, I know.

Says the npc. I’m on to you

Because "nothing" does not and has not existed. It is just a mathematical place holder. A fantasy. Something always exists no matter where you look.

The universe never happened

Define "nothing" because no one believes in an actual nothing. If god did it, something exists, if the universe arose spontaneously out of pre-existing energy/stuff, something exists. Time and space may have a beginning, but there is no such thing as "before" time and space. So as far as I'm aware, most physicists conclude the universe is probably eternal in some (currently unknown) way.

>implying you silly mortals can ever comprehend an all powerful and infinite being such as God