What are some magazines to send short stories to?

What are some magazines to send short stories to?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/zfGYjS21
twitter.com/AnonBabble

TAR

what do you write about and in what style?

Dark comedy absurdist postmodern fiction

I write in terse prose about life as an educated middle-class urbanite

I write in florid prose about life as a poor Eastern European farmer

new york tyrant
the believer
the lifted brow

I write fairly vanilla normie-tier trash, trying to work in some deeper themes from muh Germans and muh Greeks.
Just trying to get published tbqh

black warrior review
quarterly west
entropy

High-brow SFFaggotry in faux-faux-Biblical.

um, versal? idk stumped me.

>trying to work in some deeper themes
That's not how it works you fucking dilettante.

that really doesn't tell me much. when you say normie then i think reader's digest.

Weird fiction but emotional and sincere. My professor called it bordering on outsider art.

>My professor
Why are you asking some faggot on Veeky Forums instead of asking your professor and making fucking contacts?

you're me

shit my b fellas
By "normie" I mean I'm not writing like a living meme. I'm not postmodern, not using weird grammatical restrictions, not doing anything anarrative and not trying to sound like James Joyce. What I like to do is take an existential idea, either from religion or the greeks or etc, basically some fundamental assumption about the nature of the universe, and then write a short story about a character who unconsciously holds this belief. Sometimes I'll do a near-future setting if the technology helps explore the idea, but usually it's just regular life.
I could also probably write up some sci-fi/fantasy genre shit, but I'm too insecure about my pleb status to make money that way.

Share one of your stories then, let's see it

>I'm not writing like a living meme
>What I like to do is take an existential idea

Because he's a very old, powerless man

so outsider to write in genre form.
the audient void.

hm. who do you aesthetically aspire to? idk many fiction mags that publish general like that. they usually focus on a niche audience. my best guess would be find out what your local universities fiction journal is and submit there.

fuck u got me
pastebin.com/zfGYjS21
should I give up now?

No, you shouldn't, I thought it was decent. It's not badly written, although not terribly interesting either. The form is very nice though, it feels complete, looping around itself at the end. The part about the hurricane was mechanical and, imo, served no real purpose in the narrative

Your prose is p shit but you'll get better with more reading and writing.

So yeah, if you don't want to get any better you should give up now.

Answer this please.

Please is a fucking stupid-looking word.

I understand where you're coming from. The hurricane was originally just a clumsy attempt to verbalize a very specific kind of emotion. I might cut it - I'm gonna put this story through at least one more rewrite.
That's pretty much the best I was hoping for anyways. I know I've got a ways to go, but it's good to hear someone thinks I can make it.
Would you say avoid trying to publish for now, and just work on improving writing and reading more books?

i don't really read genre mags. sorry man. black gate might have a list on there site or something?

I don't read genre mags either

Guess I'll ask in that containment thread. What are the qualities you'd look for in a mag (to submit to)? Or are there effectively none, beyond "it exists"?

>Would you say avoid trying to publish for now, and just work on improving writing and reading more books?

Yes

a genre mag or just one in general?

Both, I guess. I mean looking at Black Gate it doesn't look like the kind of place I would -ideally- submit to, but I'm guessing that's just genreshit in general.

Which, uh, isn't heartening. Although I'm sure for short stories I can just do historical shit.

pfffff, Jacobin Magazine...you are a traitor to all of Veeky Forums.

post excerpt

art is the first thing i look at. i like simpler line art and stuff like pop surrealism.

gender/race diversity. an ideal mag should be a sampler of what is the scene that the mag is catering to. it doesn't have to be at parity, just a sampler of whats being written.

submission statement/mission statement. i'll look to see if any writers i like are mentioned as the mags heroes and/or what their trying to achieve

i.e "In The Lifted Brow we tend to publish fiction that is ‘new’ in some way, whether it be different, original, experimental in respect to form, or viewpoint, or style, or voice, or plot, or language – or any combo of all the above."

that's my three criteria, outsider publishing a writer i already like.

in a genre mag, ideally i would like a "magazine of ideas". one that doesn't publish genre for genre sake but publishes genre because it's the best form for the stories printed.

as a broad example: jack vance does way more with 'languages of pao' than most lang-game authors. ursula le guin does way more in 'left hand of darkness' than most feminist lit. that's just due to my belief that taking social issues out of context helps the reader suspend bias and properly engage with the story as written.

where do I even publish my experimental novel? I have no idea which publisher I should even confront

ugh ignore typos. on phone.

Is this an alt right frogposter thing

No, the website just sucks. You should read Breitbart.com instead, which has accurate news.

Calling all of /r9k/ psychopaths and virgins is a fine, respectable leftist tradition.

this whole board is the scum of Veeky Forums

All I've found is -- well, genreshit. They come with warnings saying they don't want certain plot cliches. Although some of the non-genre stuff you suggested is pretty pleb too.

Man, I don't wanna write some Murakami-aping modern roman a clef. And experimental metafiction is just playing.

More like "vulgar demigods of the dirtbag left"..*winks*

i'm not sure what you mean. maybe i'm the wrong person to ask, you probably have different taste to me. i'm not sure what constitutes pleb/not pleb.

that's cool. i don't like murakami or metafiction either. that's not the only literary scenes out there though.

new sincerity is going back to romantic exuberance to counter the lish-minimalism of new york.

who are your writing heroes?

>i'm not sure what constitutes pleb/not pleb.
Stuff like BWR thinking the purpose of reading is to discover new perspectives. But that is, in fairness, a relatively patrician plebness.

>who are your writing heroes?
A bunch of Jews in the desert, Cervantes, Dostoevsky, Montaigne, Shakespeare. The Veeky Forums usual, minus anything post-1900 and Tolstoy.

okay. so what is an example of a non-pleb reason to read?

would it be fair to characterise your writing, in that case, as baroque?

Children's stories in a conversational style

>okay. so what is an example of a non-pleb reason to read?
Fun. -- Which means understanding yourself, which means reading good literature (which will reflect parts of you no matter whomst it comes from, hence anyone's perspective is equally valuable). Things like race or gender are too intellectual. The only time that sort of thing matters is when good older works were ignored/sidelined/simply not researched, because of the race/gender/etc. of the writer.

i don't know what baroque means other than the seventeenth century style

sure but i'm not understanding what it is about the qualifier "new" that is plebian? bwr would agree with you.

i understand it as bold/bombastic, excessive, ornate.

I write magical realism, and I also write realistic fiction that feels like magical realism. It's a little similar to some of Nathaniel Hawthorne's stuff, where the witches and demons and ghosts don't always appear, but you feel like they're lurking just around the corner. Although I wouldn't call my work "romance" in the way Hawthorne did. I write in a fairly literary style, influenced a lot by Melville and Joyce.

I had a long post but desu I'm too tired to be a decent half of a conversation.

>baroque
Oh right yeah. Yeah, sort of. With less of the positive connotations and more of the negative. Not ornate, though.

I don't think most of the people I posted have a baroque style, though.

check out: lady churchill's rosebud wristlet
it's good for magical realism and slipstream

no problem. i just find your perspective interesting and was trying to get your pov.

cool, yeah negative. have you looked into neobaroque? i'm not too familiar with the scene in english but i think that might be a good scene to publish.

>new york tyrant
Need an agent.

>the believer
Maybe.

>the lifted brow
Actually don't know that one.

>Need an agent.
really? wow. they've strayed far from their roots

>tfw still haven't gotten an agent

I write in the style of TS Eliot, very dense and highly referential stuff. You need a very good understanding of cultural history to even approach this stuff. Though I write in the perspective of inanimate objects, all of which have their own 'culture' which, due to the isolated condition, the lack of motor skills or means of communication,etc., are entirely individualized. This extends to the literally hundreds of thousands of references I make.

I don't write in anyone's style. I write what I write because I'm a special snowflake.

poetry magazine
kenyon review
new criterion

sound up your alley.

Your autism is admirable, user.

you that Paul Town guy?

a lot of people like that lacquered pine and leather bound poetry.

>no electronic submissions

I guess I'll just submit by MAIL like a LUDDITE, then

Thanks for the suggestion, though

GOOD!

yeah, a lot of mags don't take electronic submissions. it's another filter for their slush pile because of the effort and money it takes to mail a submission.

Thrasher Magazine

>You should read Breitbart.com instead, which has accurate news.

LMAO

do u srsly think hes srs

I really cannot tell, there's plenty of people on this site that actually believe that.

Yeah, that's where you have to use the context to figure out that he's blatantly not serious.

If you can't, you're either very tired, very triggered or very autistic (actually autistic).

he said, thus participating in Veeky Forums. The woman was tone-deaf, by the way.

I had an old college roommate who last I heard still doesn't have his PhD, who has gone on to contribute to Jacobin. Meanwhile I voted for Trump and Trump won. Feels good.