Magnets attract iron

>magnets attract iron
>iron is in blood
So is it possible to kill people with a super strong magnet? Theoretically it could hinder circulation of blood.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4047673/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You know what? That question is so simple that I'm going to let the second post answer it.

Well about that, I'll defer to the third.

No because our heart creates a magnetic field so strong that it protects our bloodstream from outside interference

Close enough.

yes, it's possible to kill a person with a super-strong magnet(read about magnetars), bot not in a way you're describing.

There's not enough ferromagnetic material in a hemoglobin molecule to form a magnetic domain.

But what If I ate my spinachs tho?

Spinach does not make your hemoglobin more magnetic, no.

maybe if you poisoned someone and made them eat loads of iron? or injected it

>"The magnetic field of a magnetar would be lethal even at a distance of 1000 km due to the strong magnetic field distorting the electron clouds of the subject's constituent atoms, rendering the chemistry of life impossible."

Holy shit. Makes me wonder what death by magnetic field would feel like.

maybe if you eat enough spinach, a sufficiently strong magnetic field could cause the iron in your body to perforate your stomach or intestine. Untreated, that would be fatal.

Is this fucking xmen?

I lost it in the classroom

Popey please

Alright. Hold a magnet above your plate of spinach if you're so dead set on the fucking spinach, then.
The best science is the experimental kind.

attractive

Yes it is possible. In the docimentary "X-men" a criminal by the code name "Magnito" murders a innocent guard by pulling the iron from his blood.
You should look it up. Honestly very interesting physics.

Oh my god...

This entire thread is r/Veeky Forums worthy.

Nah it's actually pretty repulsive

No, it wouldn't work. The iron in our blood (bound in hemoglobin) is Fe2+ which is paramagnetic. In order for your death machine to work, you'd need a ferromagnetic material such as regular Fe.

>> is it possible to kill people with a super strong magnet
Yes, bludgeon them with the magnet.

>> hinder blood circulation
Bodily fluids are diamagnetic(repelled from magnetic fields) so it could probably be done. Pic related a levitating frog.

Getting a sufficiently powerful magnet to do this near a person would be quite challenging.

literally everything is magnetic to some extent, you'll notice once you apply a magnetic field strong enough, see

Isn't elemental iron highly toxic in large enough amounts?

That's not ferromagnetic. That's diamagnetic. Water is actually diamagnetic which us why that frog is able to levitate.

So here's where it gets interesting red blood cells are actually less diamagnetic than water when deoxygenated and slightly more diamagnetic than water when oxygenated. Some one was able to make a device for sorting red blood cells based on this principle.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4047673/

At high enough fields other things may separate out. Because water is so diamagnetic and other stuff isn't so much, we could see something like pic related. Pic related is a drop of oil in water. It is attracted to the magnet because it is less diamagnetic than water

Only if you're an atheist.

Shaggy diggy.

>We have been viewing civilizations that live with magical like properties.
>They use magnetism in their daily life and gravity to communicate.
>They read "spell" books and to them raising a hand and "casting" it is to them engaging the magnetic field and manipulating it.

F***

Almost everything is toxic in large enough amounts, user. What's your point?