Best Chess strategy book recommendations?

Best Chess strategy book recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_System
lichess.org/2ojjBNKb
lichess.org/jVDq6DGE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#FIDE_ratings
lichess.org/GKyZWAT8
shogi.net/shogi-l/Archive/1999/Nfeb07-06.txt
fortune.com/2016/02/10/google-self-driving-cars-artificial-intelligence/
youtu.be/awJgZdfZs28
lichess.org/study/Z9IBren8
lichess.org/itTkBnrg
lichess.org/rLgYuifX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Smartphone with Rybka

fischer himself wrote a good chess book

but unless you're 1800 elo or above you don't need to learn strategy just play

>1800 elo or above you don't need to learn strategy just play

pretty much this, just play a lot, develop an arsenal of openings.

Openings are useless

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_System

How do you think you get to that endgame? The majority of sub 2000 games between evenly matched players are either lost by a blunder, or one player winning small material/positional advantage in the opening, then carrying it into the endgame. If you don't have a solid grasp of basic opening objectives and some of the most common lines, you will lose 100% of the time to players that do.

tactics > basic opening principles >>>> powergap >>>>> endgames

you are like a little baby

chess is for plebs, ai can beat you lol

So technically a chess grandmaster is dumber than a taxi driver (ai cant drive)

This is why every time I lose a game on Lichess in turns into a long drawn out affair with the winning side will missing multiple checkmate opportunities.

I'm talking about for beginners
What the fuck is the point of learning endgames if you can't reach them? The only thing you need is rook and king mate.

lichess.org/2ojjBNKb
Let's go Veeky Forums

You have to play an endgame regardless of whether you're winning or not. "endgame" is not synonymous with checkmating the other side, it also includes defense. If you don't learn how to finish a game you're not going to know how to stop the other side from finishing it.

look up the tactical motifs on google
go on chesstempo and do 600 trillion tictacts

No one?
The point is in beginner games one side should be winning by enough that the endgame is basically just tactics. I'm pretty nooby though, so you might be right.

I found Logical Chess Move by Move really helpful.

But I'm still just some sub-1600 jackass.

Post again, I'll play you user

I played someone from here a few times.
Ironically the only game I won was in an endgame
lichess.org/jVDq6DGE

Good games, user. You got me at the end.

I always learned the endgame strategy first and then opening strategy.

I did checkmate with various pieces and pawn promotion stuff first.

Then I did the basics of openings (control the centre, develop your pieces, castle ASAP, etc.) before studying actual openings.

After that, it's just practice. I did get a book on the middlegame, though. When I have more time, I'll be able to read it more. So far it seems good.

>Ironically the only game I won was in an endgame

SEE NIGGA I TOLD YOU

I quit before the game reaches end game or if my gambit fails

ggs to the other user
The point being I lost 3 or 4 games before It because my tactics/openings were worse.
ggs.

You seem like an absolute beginner. I'd start with
Back to Basics: Tactics by Dan Heisman. Remember that until a pretty high level, most games are decided by tactics. This means that you're going to be staring at puzzles most of the time you're trying to improve.

Start with learning attacks like pin and fork and reveal. Then learn how to mate with variou two and three piece combos.

THEN start learning how to read boards. First for point imbalances, then equivalancies, like three pawns and knight vs a rook, then for subtler stuff like space, momentum, and development. Accurately reading a board and being able to identify your advantages and disadvantages, AND form actionable goals and plans based on that info is what will take you from a 1600 to an 1800 or 1900.

Then you need to start learning openings. Don't just memorize them but learn about how to transpose them into your favored lines.

I have no idea how people progress beyond that. I mean 2000 is master level in tournament play I think. You'd probably need to get a coach to compete on that level.

All this mostly comes from Jeremy Silman's books. I've read others but his are the ones I really studied. I've never played in tournaments so take my "internet 1700-1800" advice with a grain of salt. Those books really helped me though

tfw no one to play chess with

Well, you lost the first few games because you made mistakes, I think. I was able to grab extra material because you miscalculated or just didn't see things. That's less to do with studying openings or tactics and more to do with just recognising when you're about to lose a piece.

I like you.

>tfw play chess like it's war
>yfw mate in one and i start picking off your whole dynasty instead
glorious death

there is plenty of online chess

add me on chess.com, reverendgwyon

If you arent good at it? why woul dyou try it

sorry, i have an intense prejudice against playing games of any sort via the internet

Play Go instead.

to get good at it

What are these numbers your all mentioning

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#FIDE_ratings

Anyone wanna play me? My rating is 1950 in Canada's rating system whatever it's called
lichess.org/GKyZWAT8

The order of what to learn: rules > endgame > opening > combination > positional play (endgame > middlegame > opening) > analysis of your chess games

Endgame is actually better to learn first, at least according to the masters.

Didn't realize there were so many other chess players on Veeky Forums

Is chess Veeky Forums?

Chess is a game which no one has innate talent with. Almost all inprovement is due to dedication. Being decent at chess is just as hard as learning a language, but unlike other games it is infinitley more practical.

What board is best to talk about chess? No one's coming to my game :(
lichess.org/GKyZWAT8

>playing broess
Chess is a patriarchal boywank.

I just entered your game, and (oddly enough) Veeky Forums isn't that great for this kind of thing

I play Go.

>broess

This. Should have gone with "choss". And talk about its lack of progression.

Shogi (Japanese chess) is better than chess but good luck with that outside Japan. All the good books on shogi are untranslated as well which is unfortunate.

it's also better than Go

looks like shit

shogi is retard Go

Magnus Trainer app

Here's why shogi is better.

shogi.net/shogi-l/Archive/1999/Nfeb07-06.txt

I fucking suck at chess

I've tried it, it's cool but its not much different than other chess apps besides having magnus's backing. If you go to his YouTube channel he plays it and gets beaten lol

Are you the same guy I was just playing? You played well, you had a lot of potential pressure going in that second game

Yea, thats just a common saying among my friends when we lose terribley. I also saw that in the second game you hadn't really heard.

I always forget to hear. It's my biggest mistake when playing in otb tournaments :/

I thought everybody knew about it but based on the way you play in the second round I suppose you don't.

fortune.com/2016/02/10/google-self-driving-cars-artificial-intelligence/

šhōgį is Japanese for "hipster checkers"

>If you go to his YouTube channel he plays it and gets beaten lol

youtu.be/awJgZdfZs28
Ya here's the vid, he loses to it at age 10 lol, makes me feel better about being such a patzer

Pick 1

>Fred Reinfeld's "Complete Chess Course"
>Lev Alburt's "Secrets of the Russian Chess Masters" (2 volumes)
>all the "*for Kids" books + "How to Beat Your Dad at Chess" (5 books)

Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums have pretty good chess threads. There are some on /r9k/ and /v/ somtimes too. I'd say Veeky Forums is the best.

>but unlike other games it is infinitley more practical
how so?

Ha!
That's great.
Makes me feel better, too.

/sp/ gets pretty chesstastic during big tournaments

Yesterday I spend two nerve-wracking hours to make this compostion.
Tell me what you think.
It's a mate in 3.

>lichess.org/study/Z9IBren8 (for a analysis board)

is that a male or female?

Bishop e1 to pull the queen to a5, then promote the pawn?

>ctrl f
>no Nimzowitsch

What the fuck are you niggers doing?

OP, read My System and Chess Praxis.

That's hou yifan, there's some other sexy female GM's though

That would take more than 3 moves to mate. Keep going!

Be1 with the intention of b4

Not quite. See

I would also recommend checking YouTube, kingcrusher has tons of lessons and even covers nimzovitch's My System. For more advanced players, Powerplay with Daniel King is the best chess content you'll find on YouTube. I've been following chess channels for years now and I've gotten pretty decent. Beaten masters online and had a draw against NM Jerry from the channel chessnetwork

Yep, you don't need chess books at all to improve.
Altough I would say John Bartholomew is better for starters than kingscrusher.

If you want to read chess books I can recommend pic related

Nf8?

Very good!
What happens after
>...Qxf8
>...Qa5
>...Qa3+?

and of course
>...Kb4

Anyone else have chessboards?

Yeah but it's packed away. A while back I was stuck between two hobbies that demanded a lot of time. Studying chess, and writing. I chose writing. I still play on my phone for fun but my theory books are on the bookcase and haven't been touched in a long time.

lichess.org/itTkBnrg
Anyone wanna play? I'm about 1900 online

How do I memorize the chess coordinates?

You serious?

What do you mean? The actual coordinates are simple. Do you mean becoming fluent in algebraic notation?

Calculus course should do it.

Fite me

lichess.org/rLgYuifX

It's very simple once you learn what the symbols mean.

K for king
Q for queen
B for bishop
N for Knight
P for pawn/no symbol needed

Sometimes pictures of the pieces are used instead letters.

X indicates a capture
+ king in check
++ double check
# checkmate
o-o kingside castle
o-o-o queenside castle
1-0 white wins
0-1 black wins
1/2-1/2 draw
! strong move
!! brilliant move
? weak move or mistake
?? blunder or losing move
!? interesting move
?! dubious move

Try to follow a few games without looking at the actual board, but just with the notations. Here's the game so looks like so far in the picture:

e4 e5
Kf3 Kc6
Bc4 d6

It's very difficult to build an ai that can read handwriting, it seems simple to us because we evolved that way

I meant to say how do I follow a game just by reading the notations. I find that reading chess notations take too much brain power, because I have to visualize a board and then try to figure out the position of the pieces.

It's really impressive that Magnus can visualize three or more boards and play blindfolded. I can't even keep up with one board.

>Kf3 Kc6

Fuck it. K is knight now.

Don't follow a game by just reading the notations. Have a chess board in front of you and view it that way. Eventually you'll get accustomed enough that you'll see it in your head.

Pd8=Q
Qxd8+
Bxd8
Kf6 (doesn't really matter)
Be7#

Knight to f6 isn't forced. Black can also play pawn to e2 or King to b4.

I'm guessing you meant Ne6? And it does matter, because the knight in its current spot blocks off Be7.

Nf6 is what you said/meant*

Nf8
Qa5
Nxe6
Kb4
Be1#

What if QxN?