Great Gatsby

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and thinks it's good. I have heard good things but I am still on the fence about it. I never had to read it in high school, though I know some did so I still don't know anything about it.

Complete shit

It's alright

just watch the movie

It's good but I honestly enjoyed the movie more

>on the fence about spending a few hours reading a recognised classic
Serious question: how do you indecisive chucklefucks even feed yourselves?

It's one of those books that... well, it has the quality of... I don't know how to put it... it's just one of those things, you know?

it's a few hours better wasted on Veeky Forums honestly

The Great Gatsby is unironically good. Most people on here claim it's bad because Gatsby may be the #1 Pleb book, as in the book most favorable among plebs (while still being an actual piece of literature). It's still very good, and if you somehow got through high school without reading it, you should.

If you end up liking it, I would recommend The Beautiful and Damned and Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald (as well as his short stories).

Skip This Side of Paradise, it's literal trash.

name ONE thing good about the great gatsby

>Finally he had become great... the great Gatsby.

Dude it's like 100 pages you can do it in a sitting.
And what do people think about the meaning of the final lines "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”?

You must admit it is very well written.

It's short and ends.

I don't have to admit anything bitch

It probably means something deep.

you aren't me you rascal

>Serious question: how do you indecisive chucklefucks even feed yourselves?

serious answer: usually, but sometimes i eat a snack instead of lunch cause im too busy shitposting, by dinner im cranky from hunger

the only reason people trash gatsby is insecure highschool students pretending to be superior to everything

My mother cooks my meals, obviously.

It's a very good novel. People on here don't like it because most Americans have to read it in school and, in their little heads, they conflate merit with exclusivity

No shame in enjoying the movie, as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best book adaptations and I also quite enjoyed it

>Finally he had become great... the great Gatsby.

come on fitzgerald

I didn't personally like it but there's a reason it's acclaimed.

Read it, it's short.

holy shit

Edgerton slays in this movie. Bruce Deen was also perfect in the previous adaptation.

provides simultaneous wish-fulfilment-through-association and a distancing agent to make you feel pure and poor and fulfilled rather than ruptured and rich and empty.
It's good but not great.
Wouldn't re-read it, would re-read Mr. Sammler's Planet.

>I didn't personally like it but there's a reason it's acclaimed: it's short.

fixed it for you

Fitzgerald subtly shifts between two narrative voices within the text, using nick caraway to reveal plot points and some themes while using his own voice to reveal deeper themes. For example, there is a scene where the mechanic and the restaurant owner are having a conversation that nick the narrator couldn't possibly know about, but Fitzgerald recounts it in detail anyway and as a result allows for what seems to be a simple symbol (the eyes on the advertisement) to have multiple layered and interesting meanings. And the thing is the prose is so smooth that you hardly notice the discontinuity, but you come away with the understanding of it anyway. Fitzgerald is a fucking wizard.

First off, it refers to Gatsby's desire to rekindle his past relationship with Daisy and his failure to move on from it. Even when it becomes clear that she will not make the choice to be with him, he still looks across the water, hypnotized by the idea that she will. However, on a deeper level, it refers to the human condition in general, this condition where we look to the past for our desires. The mechanic in the valley of ashes looks at the doctor's advertisement which is old and faded, but he still derives his desires from it. However, it is hinted that there is nothing in the past, that our desires for past triumphs are actually empty because in the end they weren't really all that triumphant. We have these ideas of what we want, derived from the past (because it is the easiest thing to derive it from), but they very rarely can be brought into reality. The great Gatsby is a warning against those kind of desires, but also an acknowledgement that we cannot escape them (Fitzgerald was a depressed alcoholic for a reason).