Research

How does one obtain undergraduate research experience? I have one semester of it but it was brainlet tier shit making one lab in my supervisor's course and giving a presentation.

Is finding another prof that will give me something to do the only way? Or can I start up something I want to do as an undergrad?

How did Veeky Forums get their research exp?

Other urls found in this thread:

nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How did Veeky Forums get their research exp?
I had an idea, on my free time developed it and found some stuff. I then submitted the idea to a professor who accepted it and then helped me develop it some more, schedule talks about it and get it published.

find a lab that does interesting things, email the PI and say you're interested. PI will walk around the lab and ask if anyone needs another pair of hands. someone probably will.

this. If you are willing to not be paid, your options are pretty limitless, except for the more streamlined labs. But I'd kill to have a glassware washer, buffer maker, and gel caster right now. After another year i should be in the running to get my own undergrad minion, right now im not important enough, but we also pay ours so yea.

Did you do this as an undergrad?
This is along the lines of the research I want to do, but how did you develop it so that a professor would entertain the idea? Did you get funding for it?

Assuming you are American, apply for an REU. Deadline for most 2018 summer REU's is middle of February.

nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp

Say I wanted to do a research project like a certain contaminants levels in the water in a nearby river, or chemical levels in tapwater or something like that? Would I just write up a research proposal and say I want to use the IR or other equipment and take it to a prof?

>Did you do this as an undergrad?
Yeah

>but how did you develop it so that a professor would entertain the idea?

To be quite honest I have no idea. In the beginning, I just showed him an "application" of my theorems, which was just me posing a very specific problem that only my theorem could solve. For some reason, he liked it and accepted me. After that, I sent him some proofs and it was at this time that he told me he wanted me to give a talk. However, I have to say that even though at the time I thought he had read all the details and had carefully judged if I was worthy, it turns out he did not read much of it. I realized this when I asked him some questions and by his answers, it was clear he had not really read my entire work. This means that for some reason he just blindly trusted me and just waited for me to give my talk. This is particularly weird because this basically puts his academic prestige on the line. If I turned out to be retarded then he would be stained with my retardation. So yeah, he just blindly trusted me and it worked out well in the end.

Why would he do that? Well, in my opinion, it is because I had previously done a lot of work with him. Not really research but I had helped him a lot with some projects he manages. I think that because I had worked so closely with him before he allowed himself to just blindly trust me and hope for the best. I guess when they say that university is to make connections they are not lying. And it makes sense, my entire work was really really long. It was foolish of me to think he had somehow read it all, even though he clearly has better things to do. Sad but true.

>Did you get funding for it?
No, but I didn't need it. My work was in math and the fancier stuff I had to do involved programming but Codeblocks is free and I already have a computer.

I don't know. As I said, when I submitted my idea I had already found many results. But I suppose science is different because you need equipment to do science, so it would irrational to expect someone with no equipment to already have data. So it would make sense. Just talk to your professor. At the end of the day talking with your professor is really all you need.

Thanks for the reply, user. It's good to have the perspective of someone who's already gone through it.

How would you guys recommend organising a research project with a company? For my final year thesis as a mechanical engineer btw.

A lot of professors have projects on the backburner because they don't have time.

Just ask if you can help out. You're more likely to get something if you're acquainted with them and have done well in one of their classes.

I did this as well.

You have to contact a ton of professors and researchers at your school to see if they have any openings. Usually only freshmen and sophomores are welcome. If you're school is tapped out, try out nearby institutions. If neither are a good option, talk to your advisors about doing independent research (you can often get credits for this). Oh and be sure to ask outside of your academic department as lots of research is multi-disciplinary (e.g. hit up the psychology department if you are a biology student who is interested in neuroscience).

Yo OP here. I got offered a coop position but its QA. Should I prioritize research experience over coop?

Co-op if you want industry.
Research if you want academia/grad school

do the coop so you have an internship on your resume, that's the most important thing. even if you do research, when you are inevitable shat out into the private sector you will need that coop so your job search isn't a living hell

Can you share whatever your theorem or idea is? Or where you applied. I never know. Is an undergrand before you finished a Masters, or before you finished a Bachelor's, or? What level of education did you have when you did this and what year were you in?

Independent study if you're in a CC, probably on 4 year unis must be quite similar or something.
Maybe if you become the best in your class your professor will want to do research with you.

I think.

Undergrad is doing your bachelors

Postgrad is doing masters (regardless if its researcg or coursework) or phd

-not the guy u asking

Might be heading into OChem research as an undergraduate, what should i expect?

> tfw too awkward to ask any prof for research experience
I shouldve killed myself.

Someone made a thread on you. Check the catalog.

I do it myself
I got some books on landscape ecology, stream ecology, hydrology limonology, learned R and python, got gud WITH GIS, got hip to the best methods and got gud at experiments and computational junk
I never went to college or even got a GED. Now I can transfer into ungrad as a junior with credit from experience and clepp
Just don't be a little pussbaby and need to be spoonfed an opportunity. Go annoy the people with resources until they let you play

thanks

How do you get credit for "doing it yourself?"
Did you get published?

Did you come up with an experiment and collect some data and take it to a university prof? Tell me more

also you can do research during the semesters you're not doing the coop, best of both worlds

this is the plan, for now

>Can you share whatever your theorem or idea is?
If I shared the theorem or idea you could google it and find my name, university and then you'd find my facebook, then my address and then you would be able to rape me.

I do not like getting raped.

>Or where you applied.
I was pure.

> Is an undergrad before you finished a Masters, or before you finished a Bachelor's, or? What level of education did you have when you did this and what year were you in?

Before I finished a Bachelor's. I was a junior at the time.