Mono

Hi, so I was very unexpectedly diagnosed with mono and I'm kind of freaking out about it. Can any med people give me the run down of it? I've read the WebMD and stuff on it but am still kind of confused.

I don't know if I should be worried or not, because some places say it's pretty mild and only lasts maybe a week and some say it like can make me drop out of school. Also, should I be avoiding alcohol at all? Maybe only while my symptoms are bad?

Dude its just the flu but you get it from making out with people. And it only affects something like 45% of people or something.

Just keep up with fluids and rest and you'll be fine.

You'll be fine as long as you're immunocompetent, some of the symptoms may take a couple of months to go away, particularly extreme tiredness (asthenia is the medical term)

Acute infectious mononucleosis infection can cause a cross-reactive immune response which can fuck you up (serious). Enjoy your autoimmune disease OP.

F

>Enjoy your autoimmune disease OP.
This.
Serves your right for being a slut.

>You'll be fine as long as you're immunocompetent
By this do you mean knowing how to take care of yourself when you're sick? Fortunately I don't have the extreme tiredness symptom (yet, I don't know if it comes on later?)
>cross-reactive immune response
What do you mean by this
>Enjoy your autoimmune disease OP
What do you mean? Does this happen to a lot of people with mono?

I've been kissing one person, who is my girlfriend.

The worst that could happen is, if he had an enlarged spleen due to the disease, is that it ruptures and he dies or maybe a mild hepatitis, he will notice because of jaundice but both of this are very uncommon.
t. I'm this guy , an actual med student

What should my attitude towards alcohol be right now?

>The worst that could happen is.. and he dies

Angry-happy a hint of mischief

>Angry-happy a hint of mischief
What did you mean by this

What did your Doctor told you? You should ask him/her I simply can't know your situation without examining you
He could die of a flu, I was commenting on the worst case scenario

I didn't think to ask my Doctor at the time, and they didn't say anything about it. Is there anything I could tell you about my situation where you'd be able to get an answer?

No, I'm not going to do diagnostics or give you detailed instructions here, I'm not even graduated for starters. You should call your Doctor, he will know better and could quickly answer your questions.

>only affects something like 45% of people

Your girlfriend was a slut.

We just had a patient with mono last month. You will be fine as long as there are no complications. Complications in healthy individuals are very rare and you would know in most of the cases that something is not right. Mono has a bad reputation because HIV can mimic mono before developing AIDS, but actual mono shouldn’t be a major problem and should go away in less than 3 months. A good advice though is to avoid exposing other individuals to your bodily fluids (particularly kissing) in order to prevent spreading the disease, for at least a few months after your symptoms are gone. You probably got the virus months ago, it takes a few months until symptoms appear.

Just if you are still concerned about complications here is a list of what could (very rarely [like in 5% of all affected] could happen:

-Tonsils enlargement (you would know since you would be literally asphyxiating)

-Splenic rupture (painful as hell, you would have your entire abdomen filled with blood, it is very rare)

-Lymphoma, specifically the non hodgkin type, more specifically the aggressive subtype (you would know from enlargement of neck or kidneys [very painful in kidneys], possibly anemia as well))

-Myocarditis, rare

-Encephalitis, rarer

I have a related question for any medfags to answer if they want to have a go at it. I spoke to my local minute clinic and they said they didn't know, it was viral and it should be temporary. They did do a few tests, like blood, saliva or phlegm or whatever and it came back that I was fine.

For two days, I was in a lot of full body pain. My skin felt tingly and I sweat a lot. I did not poop in those two days. The only way to keep my mind off of the discomfort was to moan, which helped a great deal. I slept about 2 hours at a time for a little over 48 hours. I could not articulate words correctly and sounded like gibberish. I had a fever, max was a little over 103 for about 24 hours. I had absolutely no appetite and solids made me vomit. My feet cramped frequently. for the time that the fever was worst, my eyes would cross automatically and it would strain them to see straight, but I could try to see straight.

Very fucking weird thing that happened a few years ago that I never got clarity on.

I have a policy of not diagnosing things over the internet. But diagnostic criteria for mono is a mixed of clinical symptoms (cervical, axilar adenopathies, fever and pharyngitis), positive monospot test and recount of lymphocytes and abnormal lymphocytes so it is not really a pain to diagnose, in some patients it is a pain to detect though

>splenic rupture

is there a way i can like... tell or predict if my spleen will erupt

If you're in immense pain that is radiating from your spleen area, then it is probably ruptured.

A good predictor factor would be if you have or not an enlarged spleen due to the virus, this observation MUST be done by a medical professional (Specially during mono the spleen not only becomes enlarged but also fragile, you can indeed rupture it yourself if you try to palpate it without the proper technique so avoid doing that) though I won’t deny learning if you want, a good technique for quick evaluation of the spleen would be Castell's sign or palpation by Merlo’s maneuver but again this MUST be done by a professional, don’t even think of doing it yourself.

To prevent rupture you should be ok as long as you don’t perform extenuating physical activity until symptoms are gone (though this doesn’t mean you should be at bed all day) you can perform daily activities but with extra caution on your activities (don’t run too much, jump, receive punches or kicks to the abdomen, caution with falling, don’t do sports, etc)

To know you have a rupture spleen, pain should be more than enough to know since it will cause what is known as acute abdomen which is characterized by strong pain (Usually even touching the patient will generate extreme pain) so it will be very obvious. This is a clinical emergency though so if you have this then be fast getting help.

Grey Turner's sign and Cullen's sign may be present, though personally I’ve never seen it in splenic rupture before.

I've got bad news for you...

She has had more than one boyfriend in the past, could I have gotten it from them?

Honestly I swap saliva with a lot of people I smoke with including strangers sometimes so it's probably from them not her

Medfag here. Definitely, to blame your girlfriend for cheating on you and getting this wouldn’t be the wisest choice. She could have gotten way back as an infant and never develop mono or developed a subclinical infection and keep releasing viral particles until today, non infectious for most people but infectious for those with a shitty immune system… no offense intended… or from one of her past boyfriends also or from the saliva of a shared cigarette, or a random guy sneezing to your face on the subway there are lots of possibilities where you could have gotten it.
Also to your question above about alcohol… try to avoid it, since the liver could also be compromised in mono and the last thing you want to do is to add another stressing factor to it. If you are feeling awful, stay in home, if not then go do your daily activities cautiously, fever should go away in about a week or so, throat pain in 2 to 3 weeks and other symptoms shouldn’t last more than 3 months. So take it easy OP

fucked me up for over a year
the main physical symptoms go away after 3 or 4 months, but the fatigue/malaise never really went away and I developed health anxiety and mild depression from feeling like something was always wrong with me.
I have several autoimmune diseases though, so thank you , that helps explain my strong reaction.