Veeky Forums I am looking for guidance in where to go with my future. This is a long post...

Veeky Forums I am looking for guidance in where to go with my future. This is a long post, so only read if you actually want to. If not just ignore.

Throughout my academic career I have always felt school was boring/pointless but I did decently. I was never very good at mathematics. When I reached HS I was really struggling in mathematics and sciences, but when I read about Michael Faraday I was inspired to keep attempting to learn math and physics. My HS graduating GPA was a 2.3/4 but I was able to get into a top 20 US college. I only got in because of some very impressive projects and competitions I won, mainly in physics, invention, and business.

I chose to study mechanical engineering and nuclear physics. Again, I barely passed all of my math courses (highest was Bessel functions and real analysis). In college I was awarded numerous grants, won numerous competitions, was given scholarships for nuclear science inventions, published a theoretical physics paper, was chosen to be a keynote speaker about blockchain technology, and to present a paper in which I reverse engineered a foreign nation's nuclear weapon.

I have always wanted to keep learning more about physics, but my GPA is only around a 2.7/4. I am surely not able to qualify for any graduate schools.

I have secured numerous job offers, the one I am currently signed at pays about 87K and I am in interviews for ones above 100K. These jobs are technology related, but are more about business.

It is bothering me though, I feel like I will be giving up my life of invention and science just to work at a well paying job.

What should I do? I feel I can help the world more by being an inventor or scientist instead of just a money machine for some company.

Please help.

Get paid. Acquire capital. When you start hating your job, quit and go invent things.

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>bad at math
>numerous nuclear science inventions, projects, published theoretical physics paper, reverse engineered a nuclear weapon

Yeah I don't think so senpai

Just because someone can do the math does not mean they are good enough at it to score well on exams.

OP probably understands the concepts of math, but needs to take time or use computers/references to work through problems.

Gtfo 90% of threads are shittier than even this.

This OP. You clearly have no issues getting employed. Get a job. Maybe jump from job to job every year or so. When you have a decent amount of money found something.

Nigga to do all the things he described, you need to know math very well. Nuclear acience inventions? You need shit ton of math for that, theoretical physics even more.

Thanks, I will take this advice.

I never said I did not know math, I just do poorly in it. The other poster is right it takes me a very long time to do anything, but in general I can understand it. That is why I want to go to grad school, because with that additional knowledge I can apply it where others don't see innovation.

this is a very unusual story. why are you capable of these grand feats but unable to get good grades ?

I would assume it is because I never study at all. I only work on projects or at jobs.

I thought the experience was more important for getting a high paying job, and I was right, but now I think maybe that was a mistake.

If you believe I am bullshitting I could prove these to you in a private message.

Here are the facts

The moment you step into corporate environment as a mech. eng. or similar, you're never again going to do anything as creative as you were doing in school. The stuff you will design will be the same things with slight variations and the extent of your "engineering" will be fiddling with AutoCAD.

Choose wisely.

My job offer is for enterprise innovation specializing in blockchain, not mechanical or nuclear.

My job is actually in enterprise innovation and blockchain, not engineering.

"Follow your bliss."
~ J. Campbell

Teach me senpai

Teach you what?

On how to innovate basically, also about your math, im not that good either, i usually just had a head start in high school because i had good mental math and could understand what things would work faster, were you 100% math shit?

I received below C's in all of my math courses starting from algebra one. I have never failed a math course though.

Teaching innovation is difficult. Mostly you need to be thinking creatively. I have found that what sets my thinking apart from others is I have a large knowledge of how many different things work. For instance, instead of just using a computer learn about how it actually works. Instead of just saying "ree wallstreet bankers get money for nothing" apply to a finance company and see what is going on. Everything has lots of intricacies, and as you learn more and more you can apply what you know from one field to many others and vice versa.

I know that is not really a description answer, but I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more if you need additional specifics I will be back at computer soon.

B but user, thats the typical so many interests so little time meme

What was the topic of your theoretical physics paper ?

Bullllllllshit
But if true fuck you. I can ace tests and classes all day but like how exactly is some hs kid gonna do anything at all in physics.

Inventing stuff i can almost believe. I used to invent stupid shit in CAD. Some of those things actually ended up being invented for real by other people.

And what the fuck competitions are out there? You must live in a big city or something. Fuck living in middle of nowhere goddamnit.

Your op just pisses me off that you could get into a good school with such a godawful gpa. Like holy fuck you'd have to haclve done sonething crazy and also come from a legacy or something.

And fucj you you're dumb as hell for asking for advice. You managed to get into a top 20 school with a shit gpa. You know more than anyone else about getting into good schools.

But still this is all bullshit 8/10