Anyone else feel that math courses are typically organized to be depth first searches of the material (study one...

Anyone else feel that math courses are typically organized to be depth first searches of the material (study one section in-depth and do example problems, then move on to the next section, but when you self study you find it much easier and more comprehensive to do a breadth first search (study the main ideas of every section, then go back and do the example problems for all of them)?

I find it much more mentally stimulating and enlightening to study an entire chapter worth of notes and cement in the concepts before I even touch a single example problem, then when I'm doing the example problem my mind has the entire chapter in it at once while I do it, instead of just the first section we've learned so far

I think learning methods like this are really important and schools are far more rigid, we could significantly increase our educational capacity if classes catered to a larger variety of learning types

inb4 "brainlet, real smart people don't need to learn"

Other urls found in this thread:

2occatl.net/splittingofthetimes.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep. I was a math major back and college and I agree. I think the way mathematics is taught in college is fucking terrible. I mean the higher courses. Frankly, and I know people here will disagree, they're taught too quickly and there are no overarching breadth discussions like you said, so it becomes much harder to follow.

I love studying math on my own with the right books and the Internet. Gained almost nothing at all from watching foreign professors glide through complex proofs one by one without explanation in the lectures.

I'm the complete opposite. I'll never feel like i have a shred of any real tangible grasp on a subject until I've done every permutation of practice problem.

>depth first searches

>I've been on this site for 6 months

Lurk moar newfag.

Eh, seconded to a degree.

I guess it is a little funny (not haha) in the sense that if you just did the math (site ranking/visitors/content rotation) it would be easy to identify Veeky Forums as one of the few places on earth where people of a high I.Q. (non-identified) share pure opinion without fear of being ousted like they would in the scientific/mathematical society.

If Veeky Forums somehow realized that if we all actually wrote posts like this on the regular 'in our mind' and collectively chose to post them with frequency we'd soon have a proper hackathon.

Like, a huge gathering of people who are sick of others just saying 'lol fag' and actually would be fine with sitting down with a problem they could share and know would solve, well, a fuckton.

But we have to claim schizo, or even readers will think that 'I' posted above just so I could write this.

But 'you' are smart enough to realize that I'm just capitalizing on an opportunity.

Epsilon. Erdos.

LIke, Veeky Forums is the living embodiment of the whole 'monkey typewriter shakespeare' thing.

Except out current generation's thing is, "Can A.I. just spring up out of the Internet doing it's own thing and not one company/man/person who created our next AGI God?"

#butwho #buthow #Mathematica

What does a depth first search have to do with the technology section over Veeky Forums...? Depth first search is a fundamental CS concept which is a branch of math

I agree, I've posted about this before

Instead of shitposting we could be creating a legitimate mutual thinktank, but I guess it's mainly brainlets

Well, perhaps it is because Veeky Forums tries to solve 'real-world' problems (a la the 4SP) when it should be trying to help Veeky Forums only problems?

Like, bronyism or 2-d waifu. Surely if we threw Veeky Forums that sort of a bone they'd be more willing to band together when they actually ACCOMPLISH something they can measure and identify as being the reason why?

Ya know, prac reinforces the theory/fundamentals.

Like what if Veeky Forums made:
SUPER-DMT (chemistry) (lol drugs)
A.G.I. (lol 2d waifu orgy)
UBI (trolol bitcoin & cash by making all money irrelevant) {Hint: Taxation, Insurance, Lottery (like randomly a few people get 'extra capital' just for being good citizens, but only if they asked for it and put their hand into the ring).}

This is actually the shit Veeky Forums could accomplish.

Like, Veeky Forums is cancer.

Veeky Forums could CURE cancer.

Cancer is simply 'transcription miscommunication for reason X' on a cellular level.

As if there isn't enough comp, maths, chem, and bio-fags running around. Probably even reading this fucking thread.

Ya silent fuckers.

You're a fucking retard

Computer Science majors have nothing to do with the branch of math itself. It's perfectly legitimate and "depth first" vs "breadth first" is a perfectly mathematically rigorous way of describing what I was talking about in the OP

Anyone getting the message? Cancer = mono-celluar.

Non-communicative replication.

It means staying silent about shit you actually know better about, but you don't have the balls to speak up because... well, you're intelligent. An intelligent mind 'self-excludes' from a communicative set by only listening and not talking.

It's time for you fags (gender-neutral) to learn """you""" have a voice.

user please take your schizo meds that was a slew of loose associations that made no sense

Loose associations by whose standards?

By anonymous standards? Yours? Community x?

Are you trying to help me learn how to spk Veeky Forums? Or ya just stating your opinion """brainle(t=0)""".

Fuck off and never come back. You're new in a very cancerous way, the kind that wants to change board culture to fit his own whims. Eat shit faggot.

*shrug* what whims? As in a fleeting fancy? Like, are you asking if I am a benign or malignant cancerous tumor?

Nobody's every actually asked my opinion or agenda thus far. I am content with whatever interpretation you want though. Just like real cancer I guess?!

Boo hoo, things aren't like they used to be! Thank god Trump is president! He'll... ???

>How is wanting the Veeky Forums board to be more mathematically pure by being a commutative place to converse? Or does 'this' need to be like every other board? Then what's the point of boards? The whole site may as well be /b/

>change board culture
I agree, we need more chemists and non-math/comp-sci niggaz up in here.

I completely agree with this.

This applies just as much for me in Chemistry and other sciences.

Math was traditionally very difficult to learn outside of academia, but the internet has changed that to some extent. If you're disciplined enough to learn without a formal class, then you're still going to need textbooks (and preferably a solution manual) to work from. Structured material was hard for me to find after taking basic calculus and linear algebra.

No one is going to disagree with that who gone to uni. Students dont really know jackshit about the course after they have passed even if they did extremely well, there is this tacit assumption in academia that you will use those tools consistently later in your education thereby cementing them. But of course that pretty much never happens unless the student goes out of their way to do so. Uni courses are closer to training than they are education now. Talk to any professor who has been teaching for 30+ years and they will commonly tell you that they cant deliver the syllabus they would have then because the students of today are retards re academic inflation.

Only a chapter? I don't think I've ever done a problem or example in a textbook without first reading the entire book. On the first pass I usually skip all proofs as well, just reading the general ideas and theorems, if something doesn't make sense just skip it until I realise it's actually very important for the following chapters or I start over with my more thorough read.

Great thing about this is while doing a thorough pass of some books, I'll also have some in first pass mode I can read when tired, usually in bed before going to sleep as light reading or on the toilet.

That's a really good idea actually. Just a light skim reading ~5% of the entire book, only the theorems basically, to get an idea of what's coming and the vocabulary if it's new. Thanks user I will try this

I had a russian calc prof who would just call axes "the line" while there were lines drawn on the graph. so confusing.

Yeah, that's how I do it.

Is that Danny right there?

2occatl.net/splittingofthetimes.html

was that you that came by with your boyfriend that night when you recited your memorized line, "I like older guys because they can like... teach you stuff."

School: How study?
Me: Whatever senpai, just A* my shit up.

I enjoy studying in depth. At the undergrad level, I'm still aware of gaps even after learning something in depth. I have 0 problems relating topics though. If I didn't see connection between topics, it would probably bother me.