Wombtanks

Is there any form of physical parasitism more socially accepted than pregnancy? Think about it. You have another human being growing inside your gonads, then a small orifice stretches to sizes it never otherwise should, then you shit the little twat out in what is possibly the most painful experience imaginable short of taking two point blank shotgun blasts to each kneecap while being flayed and vinegar rubbed into the wounds. Plus it's a huge drain on businesses, careers, etc., think of all the women who get fucked up in their careers simply because they essentially call in sick for months on end then have to cut their hours and still take home the same pay, and all the while you can't move them around otherwise the government urinates on you and your business.

Wombtank tech solves virtually all these problems. Redpill me on challenges wombtank tech faces, problems (leave out the ethical stuff) and how wombtank progress is going.

Pic sorta related, I want a mommy gf

Women instinctually are attracted to the idea of being pregnant.

Also adopting parents are orders of magnitude more likely to kill their children so maybe it's a necessary part of building empathy

Doesn't make it any easier on them, nor does it make it any easier on the men who have to support them while they lie around.

source?

huh, actually can't find a source, feel like I read it somewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well that won't do, do you know anything else about this?

No I'm a brainlet

The key problems any kind of artificial womb faces are those of trying to supply the correct proteins to a developing fetus. For many mammals, humans included, many of the regulatory proteins for "turning on" and "turning off" certain parts of the genome to differentiate cells are supplied by the mother at first, which is what allows for the richness in diversity of tissue types.

We still don't exactly know how all of the epigenetic mumbo jumbo works with regards to the order of nucleosome unpacking and developmental biology. Then there's the immune response problem of perhaps supplying the wrong kind of antibody, which would wreck the fetus alive, or the alternative of supplying the wrong kind of protein that the developing fetus' antibodies would attack, rendering useless and leading to underdevelopment.

>Guessing and making shit up.

You want /pol/ and /x/, not Veeky Forums.
Go away.

Wouldn't the immune problems be solved if you could obtain a sample of maternal DNA? Sure, you wouldn't be able to solve the epigenetic problems but at least you wouldn't run the risk of autoimmune problems, which you would if you used donor antibodies.

I've heard that too. Had to take a random "behavior science" class as an elective. It was about human evolution, and we talked about things paternal confusion, and when generally speaking about child mortality this subject came up.

Sorry no sources available here either, I'd have to do some digging through notes to find it

It's a weird 'yes and no'. By obtaining the mother's DNA, you will end up with a much smaller chance of getting deleterious antibodies relative to the child, but antibodies are strange shitters- the system in every person is unique, and depends on the course of their life, as it's an evolutionary system.

It's been a while since I've taken immunology, but from what I remember the basic overview is that there are a lot of different combinations of sensors that can be placed on the base antibody protein, that is essentially created by a long string of DNA that can be chopped up into many pieces by certain other proteins, and pieced together randomly to create a myriad of different antibodies. Those that get 'hits' and end up serving an immune function are kept around and exist in higher numbers, those that don't are scrapped, and then the body just keeps producing more and more, keeping a low, passive reserve of antibodies that have worked in the past (which is why the second time you get a disease, the immune response is much quicker).

If you could keep some of the lymphocytes from the mother in-vitro, you might be able to stimulate a similar effect, but that's a tricky beast in and of itself. Though you're right- the immune issue isn't as big an issue as figuring out the balance for developmental success.

I would like to have a mommy gf too
I see you are a man of culture as well

very enlightened man

How does the maternal blood avoid sending harmful antibodies to the developing embryo though? Compared to the other stuff on the list I don't think protein synthesis should pose too much of a problem, we already use plasmids and things for small segments of DNA, for instance. And there are methods (e.g. recombinant plasmids) to synthesize proteins using transgenic organisms.

I may sound a bit ignorant and vague when talking but I'm an undergrad, so bear with me. Are you in med school/working as a doctor?

Also I can't help but read that entire post with a strong accent, I think it's Scouse. Like, I can just imagine you finishing that paragraph and going on to talk about how great Robbie Fowler was.

Just in case I'm right, /sp/ says hi.

THIS DOES NOT FOOKIN SLIP

>How does the maternal blood avoid sending harmful antibodies to the developing embryo?
"Luck lmao" and also we're not entirely sure. No hard evidence IIRC on the exact molecular mechanisms, but as far as I know there's nothing that hard-stops the mother's antibodies from treating a kid like the little fuckin' parasite it is, which is why certain people with blood mutations having kids together can be a huge problem- if the dad has a blood variant outside of the typical types, it's completely possible for the baby's blood to be something the mothers' antibodies will start attacking. I think the condition is called "HDN" if you want to look it up.

It's not protein synthesis that's the necessary problem, it's delivering the right proteins at the right time in the right concentrations, delivered to the right cells that is the problem. Theoretical models will get better as time goes on and we discover more about how gene regulation works especially, but it'll take a bit of time.

Nah, genetics grad student. Fuck medicine, seriously though. Nothing against the pure desire to practice or research, but >90% of all med students and pre-meds have their heads up their asses, or are otherwise generally bad people to be around.

Nah man, full amerifat here. In fact, the worst kind according to /sp/
US 12
US 12
US 12
US 12

that looks comfy as fuck. the girl looks to be the same age ad the boy (--> gf), but I have the impression she could be the mom.

Not him but I read the same thing near the end of my bio textbook, it is legit.

Source: Nelson Biology: Exploring the Diversity of life

>Fuck medicine, seriously though. Nothing against the pure desire to practice or research, but >90% of all med students and pre-meds have their heads up their asses, or are otherwise generally bad people to be around

I'm a med student and they don't seem so bad. Is it because in America they have that tiger mom thing where every med student is either an asian robot with no sense of humor or the kid of some rich parent using a cactus for a tampon?

What is US 12?

Genetics? Redpill me on CRISPR. And how HIV works, apparently once the viral DNA infects the human cell it uses the cell's spliceosomes to remove its own introns, thus allowing the cell to synthesize the virus' own proteins for it. Also is there a specific membrane protein that allows HIV to infect humans?

more for you

>tfw I ask my girlfriend to make me tendies every time she comes
>tfw when I get sick we stay in my room and she takes care of it. She even makes me chicken soup and feeds me
>tfw she does give me choccy milk too
>tfw I don't call her mommy but I do say I am a baby and she needs to take care of me
>tfw I have a mommy gf

feels good

It's because in America the system is almost entirely aimed at attracting people who will do anything for money. Premeds, and med students for that matter often have no genuine passion, except for the paycheck at the end of the rainbow. The problem inherent is that to get that paycheck, they'll often cheat or abuse drugs to that end, which to a person who is passionate about the subjects that premeds have to take (genomics, chemistry, molecular bio, etc.) is something dreadful to compete against. The classes are all curved, so people who cheat on exams, or abuse adderall to boost memory to just brute force memorize, the curve gets knocked up, lowering everyone else's grade comparatively. It's just increased my bitterness over the years.

>HIV
It depends on the strain of HIV, but there's a big chicken-and-egg debate about HIV, because what it does to propagate it within the host is to essentially steal membrane proteins from the host cell, which keeps it from being detectable, as well as allowing it to permeate other cells. So, in talking about origin of HIV, there's murmur about it being essentially born of the primate genome itself, kind of like cancer in a way.

>CRISPR
It's the dankest shit you'll ever come across. People who talk about modifying babies, or even really dealing with animal modification are blowing it out of proportion- sure that's a long term application, but it certainly isn't the most exciting short-term.

We already use E.Coli to produce Insulin by editing the gene so it can produce it by the vat-full. Those kinds of basic biochemical harvesting CRISPR applications are relatively easy, and the natural next step is taking genes from animals or plants that form complex polymers and being able to grow it industrially- furs, meats, hide, ivory, bone, egg white, it's a matter of balancing developmental factors like with artificial wombs, but the goal is a much simpler, more forgiving product that we might see in the next decade or so.

also
>US 12

Just a sort of a psuedo-meme from /sp/ dealing with an amerifat handegg team, the Seattle Seahawks, which had a really good run a few years back. The joke is that people who are fans call themselves the '12th man', because they're so loud, they are said to have influence on the game itself, with seismic tremors being picked up from the games. I live in pacific northwest of U.S, so it makes me a dirty 12th man, according to /sp/.

>possibly the most painful experience imaginable short of taking two point blank shotgun blasts to each kneecap while being flayed and vinegar rubbed into the wounds
Not really. Women are adapted to deal with the pain, it's a bit different to some random wound. Not to mention there are various drugs and methods for alleviating pain that are widely available.

good goyim

>notices bulge
OwO what's this

Yeah. When WWIII explodes Africa will have an army twice the size of the armies of every other continent combined. That is why everyone predicts an African world order for the coming decades. It makes sense.

>>/pol/

The biggest parasite might be our own DNA, we are just vessels hardwired to mating, really the only reason to live is to have offspring and promote your own DNA, everything in your life is just setting you up for mating and as soon as you can't mate you die off, the body literally stops you from living past fertility, although the humans have gotten pretty good at avoiding that fate.

>Women instinctually are attracted to the idea of being impregnated by black men.
Ftfy.