If I removed the DNA in every cell of my body...

If I removed the DNA in every cell of my body, how long would my cells be able to function and how long would I be able to survive?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident
unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

72 hours going by Chernobyl deaths (which radiation exposure wasn't really removing the DNA so much as just inhibiting it from doing anything)

Do you even understand DNA?
If you did, you would not ask this question.
It like the question :
If I would remove the ink out of book, how many pages could I read?

It totally makes no sense.

Let me clarify.

Does DNA interact in cellular processes directly or do they only participate in cell division? Would the cell immediately cease to function without DNA instructing it? How long before the cell collapses and the organism dies?

How would a big ol' bowl of DNA taste?

Like acid

Not the guy you’re responding to, but your DNA is the blueprint that allows the cell do it’s job. DNA gets translated into proteins, which act as enzymes and catalysts for your cells to use biochemical pathways such as aerobic respiration. Now, with all your DNA removed at once we could expect that your existing proteins would still function for some time, but it’s important to note that they would degrade rather quickly since there would be no functional upkeep and no replacement. I suspect you would die within the day, if it even took that long.

DNA transcription is used to build proteins, no DNA no new proteins, old ones denature then YOU denature

What color would it be?

Would you just dissolve or fall apart cronenberg style?

Yellowish

Every cell has acid. That acid is part of that cell. If you remove that acid, you no more cell left.
The A in DNA stands for Acid.

not really an analogy because if it were the pages would have various lengths at which they would become nonviable for reading and his question would be how long before the essential pages became outdated or needed replacing

Find the fastest dividing cells in your body, and basically their life is how long you will live.
Within ~24hrs I imagine your skin would start to slough off, you'd probably struggle to breathe, you'd be in absolute agony, and you'd also have no energy.
I mean, it's difficult to give an accurate prediction really, but you're not surviving longer than a week. Within 36 hours you'd need to be intubated, and you'd be in a drug-induced coma to reduce your suffering.

Question dodgers like you make me sick

Do you even understand DNA? it is a code for all enzymes and proteins we have in our body. The question could be boiled down to how long the body would be able to survive if the body stops the production of enzymes and proteins. Also cell division wouldn't be posible.

actually DNA is more basic. You can see that in electrophoresis

Ask Ouchi

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident

>cronenberg style
Rick and Morty fan, WARNING!

nothing satanic about keeping it alive.

Japanese people are just like everybody else.

If you weren't one yourself, you wouldn't know that.

It would be extremely painful.

Protein turnover can be anywhere from a few minutes to +16 hours, really can't say.

Not really. If I zapped the DNA out of a cell, the proteins it transcribed and translated prior would still be there. Nuclear proteins that depend on DNA association to function/regulate would obviously be nonfunctional but major house keeping proteins in the cytoplasm would still function. That is until those proteins degrade/turnover and fail to be replaced, in which case all biochemical reactions would eventually reach equilibrium and the cell would die.

holy shit.

If I was hit by that much radiation I'd just ask for a handgun and an hour with my family. no way in fucking hell I'd go through that to die a few days later.

Impossible to tell, but I'll go with this:
All dna? Including mitocondrial dna? Including neuronal dna? With luck, 10 minutes. People often associates dna just with cell proliferation and forgets that the recipe of almost every molecule of their body is written on the dna, take that out and cellular regulation goes to absolute crap, it would be almost instant necrosis cause you wouldn’t be even able to transcript proteins for classic cellular apoptosis.

I'd say you have minutes, maybe hours. Definitely not days. Insane and impossible scenario though. Why do you care?

This.

Instant husk your cells cannot reproduce without genetic code or may have a chance to mutate to survive

watch nilered's DNA video

to be fair...

I'd say just nucleic DNA, leave the mitochondria alone. They dont survive, do they?

He survived for months, not days

>The question could be boiled down to how long the body would be able to survive if the body stops the production of enzymes and proteins.
for most proteins, that's probably somewhere in the hours range. most protein abundance is far higher than transcript abundance. The transcripts are used to top up the levels of protein that were turned over most recently

losing all your DNA will still leave all the extant transcripts and all the extant proteins, so you're looking at normal protein turnover burning through your pool of proteins over the next couple hours.

as far as what goes first... i'd guess cell stability and protein movement. actin/tubulin concentrations are really important for maintaining proper cell movement, a functional cell cortex, and strong tissue cohesion. if you start to lose the ability to maintain a proper cytoskeleton, your cells and tissues will lose their rigidity and just fall apart at the slightest touch.

A few minutes.

i'd also guess that you'll lose proper nerve function pretty quickly

two weeks

You would just become a lifeless body. All the structural stuff is already in place and removal of the DNA would have no effect in that respect.

Softly salty, otherwise no clear or distinctive flavor
It's really gooey though, you really don't want to try it

>how long would I be able to survive?
For all eternity. DNA is fucking poison.

I'd guess hours at best, wouldn't be surprised if it was minutes. DNA is actually really active, especially in your brain, and the sudden lack of DNA would totally throw the cells off, which would cause a huge cascade of problems everywhere in your body.

You're a big man

You don't even understand DNA either apparently.

I think major DNA damage or in this case no DNA at all triggers apoptosis so probably minutes

probably not long

83 Days

unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html

ouchi my dna

You would die within minutes. Several key stages of cellular respiration, such as pyruvate decarboxylation, glucose oxidation, and ATP production, are dependent on enzymes. Without these, cellular respiration cannot proceed and cells would not have energy to carry out their functions. With no DNA to encode for these proteins, the body would only function until the existing enzymes lost function due to natural denaturation and non-competitive inhibition.

not within minutes, the mRNA transcripts last for some minutes. when they are gone/depleted, and no new transcription goes on, then the effect starts.

ask a swede