Gravity vs acceleration

Einstein says that gravity is acceleration, and that an observer in a vacuum chamber with zero outside connection would not be able to distinguish between the two, correct?

What if you had an incredibly long vacuum chamber, one that you could fire a gun inside? Would the bullet impact angle allow you to infer whether you're in a gravity well or under acceleration just by how the ballistics behave?

For example, in a gravity well the bullet should arc about that well to give it an angled impact on the far wall of the chamber, while a gun fired under acceleration has no point to arc about, so it should hit the far wall at the same angle as fired. Would this be a valid test for a closed system like this?

t.brainlet

Ok why does the first bullet have an angle. Work that one out and you'll have your answer.

If the vacuum chamber itself is accelerating, the bullet will behave the same if it were subject to gravitation. The principle of equivalence, that is; motion & mass is but a curve in the spacetime continuum.

It only upholds locally, if you were a 10,000mile man in an elevator you would perceive your acceleration as we do on earth (given thst the elevator would accelerate at rate g). However a 10,000mile tall person would feel tidal forces if he or she was placed on earth. The gravity relates to the distsnce with 1/r^2, so you do the math.

The point of the equivalencr principle is, however, that gravity is geometry. That's all you should get from it.

A cool (in my opinion) subject to google, which has a lot of popular literature also by the way, if you're into that, would be: quantum gravity.

If you are looking for something more advanced to read upon I would suggest searching on 'geodesics', which describe the natural motion of particles in the metric. (The metric describes the curvature).

Apologies for the spelling errors, I write like a retard when on my phone.

why would the bullet turn down on a vacuum?

>Einstein says that gravity is acceleration, and that an observer in a vacuum chamber with zero outside connection would not be able to distinguish between the two, correct?
That's only true locally i.e in an infinitesimally small cabin.

The bullet wouldn't arc.

Equal and opposite. So follow the guns movement as well.

Canada. Fake citizenship.

>an observer in a vacuum chamber with zero outside connection would not be able to distinguish between the two, correct?

What if the chamber was YUGE!

In pic related, I could tell whether I was feeling gravity (drawn toward the center of the planet, able to orbit it if there was clearance" or accelerating (fall to the bottom of the bell jar.

t. Guy who is surprised to learn he is smarter than Einstein.

Nope, in this case, the jar is a universal reference frame. I.e. aether

If you can actually find aether, then you'll be smarter than Einstein. Remember, Sr states aether need not exist, not that it cant.

>in this case, the jar is a universal reference frame.

>vacuum chamber
The bullet angles due to air

Einstein was wrong.

I think that it's very confused in your head : you're saying that gravity is gravitation yet you say that it only feels the same in certain circumstances, so in general gravity isn't acceleration.
I think you need to get a look at first Newton's first and second law and than take a look at Einstein relativity

>Einstein says that gravity is acceleration
What is meant by this is that the force you feel due to gravity is acceleration(Weight and so on), its not saying that planets orbit the Sun because of acceleration or anything like that.
Your MSpaint example is true as long as the bullet isn't spinning. Is because gravity is just space-time curvature that makes a spacetime vector's path look wonky to us. You see, you also have to take the shape of the gravity well into account. In the elevator example the bullet is just free falling down to a flat plain. While the bullet is moving through curved space-time. If you shoot a bullet here on earth, it would look exactly like the elevator example, because locally the bullet wouldn't move through almost any curvature.

This is mostly irrelevant and:
>The point of the equivalencr principle is, however, that gravity is geometry. That's all you should get from it.
Is just plain wrong. Equivalence principle doesn't involve the geometry in General relativity in any direct way at all.
EP just tells us that the forces on your body or any object as you are on the earth's surface are because you are being accelerated out of your free falling reference frame. Just like you are when a car is accelerating, or a rocket taking off. Remember, a free falling object in general relativity isn't actually undergoing acceleration before it is pushed on by the earth or whatever.

There you go OP, you finally got your answer.

>Would the bullet impact angle allow you to infer whether you're in a gravity well or under acceleration just by how the ballistics behave?

No.

You are wrong, you could tell the difference, at least in theory, it would work like in OP's picture. except bullets are usually spin stabilized.

You could also measure if you are in a gravity well or in an elevator by measuring tidal forces in the gravity well.

>You are wrong, you could tell the difference, at least in theory, it would work like in OP's picture. except bullets are usually spin stabilized.

Even in a gravitational field, what is applying the torque that would cause the bullet to rotate?

Aerodynamics? As the bullet (or even better - an arrow) falls, it points so that it penetrates with the least amount of air resistance. It's the air that's causing the arrow/bullet to rotate.

In the case of an accelerating frame, the air is also accelerating upward. The effect is the same.

Gravity is applied equally along the entire shaft. That is not the force rotating the projectile.