This is literally the best crime novel ever. Discuss

This is literally the best crime novel ever. Discuss.

How about you start the discussion

James Ellroy in general is awesome. Read White Jazz and Perfidia my man

I got "the big nowhere" today, and the girl at the library gave me "blood on the moon" for free

how is 2666?

such a shame that the crime novel genre is mostly awful schlock, it's one of my favourite subjects in film.

What a babe

more like BLACKED DAHLIA, you cuck

It's good, but he raised his game considerably with The Big Nowhere and LA Confidential.

Better than his Underworld USA work? That's all I've read from Ellroy.

It's great, duh

How is American Tabloid?

The summary sounds really interesting but I'm reading the preview on Amazon and I'm not sure if I like the style of prose.

picked it up yesterday at a used book store. seemed interesting. whats so good about it?

Nope, try again.

I loved it. But I must say, much, though not all, of the appeal is the prose

Way I see it Big Nowhere makes him look like a hack. His whole style of slur-heavy 'pastiche' period dialogue and the violence just gets so OTT, and it makes him seem like nothing more than a tryhard edgelord. It's like he thinks that good crime writing is just vulgar language and excessive violence. Beyond that, the construction of the plot is similar in so many ways to L.A Confidential that it's almost madlibs (Though Confidential for my money is the better of the two).

See, from reading the first few pages my reaction is exactly the opposite. I like the crime and dirty millionaires and politicians stuff, but the prose gives me a headache.

Yeah, the grit is palpable in that book, which is the other major part of the appeal. Imo the prose reinforced the content, but I know a lot of people find it grating.

Did you mean to post C&P?

mods are asleep post C&P

hon hon

IT JUST KEEPS TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN