Science, Philosophy

Why do humans need art of any kind? Art, which includes painting, poetry, writing...

We can still progress without art. They are of no use to us, and only hinder our progress. There are many people who study art, which isn't of any importance or any use to human kind.

Those people could instead focus on the STEM subjects. That would advance our growth as a species and would do it faster. We will have many benefits of this, and we would find ourselves advancing rapidly to the next age.

I am aware that removing art from the curriculum, the aspects which are exclusive to humans, such as poetry and expression of emotions in ways other than verbal, would vanish away.

But, it is for good. We really don't need emotions. Emotions have no use in the advance of humans.

Am I mistaken here?

P.S : Picture is totally unrelated to the topic I am discussing about.

>expecting women to contribute to society

>why don't artfags just go to STEM
I don't understand that argument. We all know not everyone is cut for STEM. Hell, most people in STEM don't do anything worthwhile.

>most people in STEM don't do anything worthwhile.
>this
Most STEM graduates are code monkeys, lab fags, and teachers(low grade professors) very few make major breakthroughs. A

So, is it safe to deduce that art is for less intelligent folks?

advance what? progress to what?

Mathematician here. Art is important. Art enriches my life.

To tell a kinda recent anecdote, I was scheduled to report the findings of my research to the big guys and it turned out I basically had nothing special to show. I became deeply depressed because I knew this could very easily take away all the respect and prestige I had earned and end my career. I became a shell. In the last few months I had I was supposed to work my hardest to try and find more stuff but because of this depression I was completely useless. I could not gather the energy to even read. Then I did something I had stopped doing back when I was a teenager: lock myself in my room and binge watch anime.

I consumed so much anime in such a small time frame that it was crazy, but everything I watched was inspirational. It was all about people accomplishing their dreams against all the odds and little by little my condition improved until I was able to finally work again.

In the end I did find more stuff and it all turned out well but it was because of art. Art that inspired me and allowed to push through the hard times. I am not gonna lie, in this period of depression I was literally crying. The only thing I have in my life is math and if I lose that then I might aswell kms.

I prefer stem.
When Im not studying I read philosophy. For example, today when I woke up I read pinkards german philosophy for 2 hours! It's great content and reads like literature. Same goes for art.

Advances in Medical field: We could find a cure for cancer, aids, or we would develop ways to prevent them.

Advances in our understanding of nature. New breakthroughs that would give us further insights into nature, or collapse the current understandings of nature.

Advances in AI: We could have the robots doing the job in our stead. We could do calculations faster.

>Am I mistaken here?

Yeah.

It would be nice if you can elaborate on that...

I have my midterms on Monday, but I really couldn't bring myself to study for it. I sat down, opened the book, and did a few problems. But, nothing went through my head, I felt that I hadn't learned anything by doing that .

That was in the morning, I just spent the rest of the day taking strolls inside my home, and watching the first two Mad Max movies.

In the evening, I opened YouTube, and there popped a video on Nietzsche's ideas. I watched it and came to conclusion that everything he said, about individuality and feelings, belonged to the ancient era.

Look at the modern times, we don't need any individuality. It just doesn't apply to the today's world. He was taking about herd mentality, so it sounded something like: don't do the same thing everyone is doing.

If I followed the things what Nietzsche said, I would end up just like him, a loser and a psycho. He went insane in his 40s, and never received any recognition for his works during his lifetime.

Which ultimately led me to ask this question:

Whom do you ask for advice on life, a person who has lived happily all his life or a person who lived a sad and depressive life.

I also live by this: "Never ask advice on becoming a millionaire from a person who isn't a millionaire."

I'd like to see where I am wrong.

You sound incredibly autistic

I don't need to. You'll grow out of your phase.

Art has action on emotion as force is onto matter. Reality sits between the two. Can't have matter without spirit, or spirit without matter. A singular function with separate modalities.

>We really don't need emotions. Emotions have no use in the advance of humans.
You are an autistic reddit-spacing retard. You're nineteen. Everything is dependent upon emotions. I shouldn't have to explain this any further.

The thrill you get from STEM is emotional. You wouldn’t embrace it if you didn’t have a passion for it. Passion is human. Passion is emotion. Passion gives it all a sense of purpose.
You may smile at a solved problem, you may cry over a profound revelation. Those feelings propel you forward to more discoveries. You wouldn’t get this sense of purpose without our innate human emotion.
Art: song, painting, literature, sublime music. All can evoke that same sense of existential wonder we derive from STEM. Don’t deny Your humanness; embrace it and feel all the happiness this existence can offer.

no.

Art and entertainment are needed by those who run the world to keep the masses brainwashed into thinking about anything else other than upsetting the status quo. By consuming entertainment and art, like music, or television, or cinema, or even classic sculpture/painting you are allowing them to take your thought process on a journey for which you are just a passenger, an observer, who is shown the world they want you to see.

>reddit spacing
back to where you belong.

>we don't need emotions
Yes we do it's literally the main reason we are able to have functioning societies and are able to do research rather than be a garbage nomadic nonsocial species.

Why do humans need science of any kind? Science, which includes physics, chemistry, math...

We can still progress without science. They are of no use to us, and only hinder our progress. There are many people who study science, which isn't of any importance or any use to human kind.

Those people could instead focus on the art subjects. That would advance our growth as a species and would do it faster. We will have many benefits of this, and we would find ourselves advancing rapidly to the next age.

I am aware that removing science from the curriculum, the aspects which are exclusive to humans, such as math and expression of emotions in ways other than verbal, would vanish away.

But, it is for good. We really don't need emotions. Emotions have no use in the advance of humans.

Am I mistaken here?

P.S : Picture is totally unrelated to the topic I am discussing about.