Bret Easton Ellis

Is Bret Easton Ellis an underrated writer? Why or why not?

He's pretty mediocre. American Psycho was decent, but that's really it.

Bump.

He is a hack who had the audacity to trash Alice Munroe. Do not show him respect.

Why is he a hack?

I've read The Rules of Attraction and I'm currently reading Less Than Zero. I really liked The Rules of Attraction.

Less Than Zero was said to be The Catcher in the Rye of the MTV generation and I can definitely see why people would think that so far.

I think there are two things why Bret Easton Ellis kinda fizzled out after American Psycho. The first is that there's a fair bit of homosexuality and bisexuality in his male characters which would put a lot of people off.
The second is that after American Psycho, what message would he be trying to convey to people that he hasn't already conveyed in his previous novels? It seems that he said all that he had to say about society by end of American Psycho and now he's just kinda lingered on not knowing what to do next.

Pic related, I loved The Rules of Attraction film.

well I've never heard of alice munroe, and I move in some pretty hep circles, sooooo...

also the enemy of my enemy is my friend wrt dfw

I agree with you completely. Bret really peaked after American Psycho. Imperial Bedrooms, the sequel to Less Than Zero, is really horrendous. I'm hoping his next work, Tranquil Reflections, will be something new.

I'm writing my part of my dissertation about Ellis' plateau after American Psycho.

I loved American Psycho. Less than Zero was ok, and the Bedrooms was passable but I definitely wouldn't read it again.

Watch the movie American Psycho if you have or haven't read the book, it's fantastic and very different from the novel.

If you have read the movie and the book, read the American Psycho 2000 emails.

American psycho is one of the funniest books ever written

If anything he gets more attention than he deserves. American Psycho is the only book of his worth mentioning and even that's an insufferable mess that ruins what little it had going for it as social commentary with how repetitive and juvenile it gets.

>If anything he gets more attention than he deserves. American Psycho is the only book of his worth mentioning and even that's an insufferable mess that ruins what little it had going for it as social commentary with how repetitive and juvenile it gets.

What about The Rules of Attraction? I thought that was pretty good.

The Rules of Attraction was good, but for me it was just a copy of Less Than Zero. Donna Tartt's The Secret History is a much better college-centered post-modernist novel.

I don't think it's juvenile. The subtext about AIDs is pretty spot-on.

>post-modernist novel
The Secret History isn't post-modernist. It's a modernist novel because of how Richard Papen, Julian, and the rest of the Greek students are stuck in the past and are behind the changing times of the world. They abhor technological advancements in preference to the archaic and esoteric.

>with how repetitive and juvenile it gets.

Dude, that's the point, it's supposed to be fucking atrocious and repulsive, LMAO

A lot of the murders are in Patrick's head, which is why Paul Owen is still alive at the end of the novel. The atrociousness comes from Pat's delusions of self-worth and grandeur.

He's just a junky genre writer. His novels aren't great but they're entertaining, and sometimes quite funny.

The monologues on his podcasts are better than any of his fiction, and his podcast was too comfy before it turned into a mode for him to cry about SJWs and the movie industry.

Do you have any recommendation for his podcast episodes in particular?

I enjoy his writing but I am a rich, deprived white boy addicted to coke so idk

The studio that produces his show locks older episodes behind a subscription paywall. But you can probably find some on YouTube or something.

The ones I remember best are episodes with Marc Maron, Tarantino, Alex Ross Perry, Eli Roth, can't remember his name but the guy who wrote The Martian, John Carpenter and Matthew Weiner. Be prepared to hear him piss on about movies because he rarely ever talks about novels or writing. The

Hello Clay.

I haven't been able to take him seriously since he ripped on the lady who did the movie. The movie was fantastic, and it's the only reason he still has a career. He's a dumbass.

Thanks, I'll look them up. Andy Weir is the guy who wrote The Martian.

Which lady?

>Munroe
Kill me.

that really isnt a theme in the book at all, have you read it?