How dangerous is it to do a home fecal transplant given that you check the donor's stool using all of these tests...

How dangerous is it to do a home fecal transplant given that you check the donor's stool using all of these tests listed here: thepowerofpoop.com/epatients/fecal-transplant-pathology-tests/. I'm thinking that this may be one of my last options, and others too, but I don't want to kill myself either. There are a lot of success stories out there with research backing it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5473130/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4073534/
gut.bmj.com/content/66/5/980
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4951383/
google.com/search?ei=OqHyWcuTOcS7jwSJ-pCoBw&q=ibs-c fmt google scholar&oq=ibs-c fmt google scholar&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i21k1.9816.12163.0.12217.15.15.0.0.0.0.167.1393.7j6.13.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.12.1295...35i39k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.YHL19zUsts8
news.wgbh.org/2017/04/13/science-and-technology/why-central-square-stool-bank-paying-40-poop-donation
cnn.com/videos/health/2015/08/25/fecal-transplant-poop-medicine.cnn
wired.com/2016/11/microbiome-therapy-making-fecal-transplants-better/
azdailysun.com/news/local/doctors-transfer-the-power-of-gut-bacteria/article_5956de37-7b12-52ab-9491-0853b067f39c.html
theverge.com/2016/5/4/11581994/fmt-fecal-matter-transplant-josiah-zayner-microbiome-ibs-c-diff
popsci.com/article/science/scientist-gives-himself-fecal-transplant-try-hunter-gatherers-microbiome
humanfoodproject.com/rebecoming-human-happened-day-replaced-99-genes-body-hunter-gatherer/
rawstory.com/2017/07/heres-what-happened-to-a-professor-of-genetic-epidemiologys-gut-microbiome-when-he-lived-with-hunter-gatherers/
mobile.the-scientist.com/article/49450/athletes-microbiomes-differ-from-nonathletes
medicalxpress.com/news/2017-01-gut-microbe-potential-treatment-autism.html
buzzfeed.com/nidhisubbaraman/inside-tampa-fecal-transplant-clinic
thepowerofpoop.com/fecal-transplant-success-stories
researchgate.net/profile/Yuying_Liu2/publication/311792087_Resetting_microbiota_by_Lactobacillus_reuteri_inhibits_T_reg_deficiency-induced_autoimmunity_via_adenosine_A2A_receptors/links/585d561108aebf17d38a3279/Resetting-microbiota-by-Lactobacillus-reuteri-inhibits-T-reg-deficiency-induced-autoimmunity-via-adenosine-A2A-receptors.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't do it

There is no reason for you to do this at home. If you are struggling with recurrent c diff you absolutely need to see a doctor

Why don't you get medical professional to do it? Sounds weird I know.

Shouldn't be too dangerous as long as the shit doesn't contain some deadly disease that can't be cured with antibiotics.

I have other gastro problems than c diff
dont have c diff and it costs over 10k in another country to get it done
why not? It seems like it works for a lot of people

these are the tests being recommended beforehand

CDSA 2.0 w/Parasitology-Genova Kit
Clostridium Difficile: Colitis Toxins A & B-BioHealth Kit
Cryptosporidium Antigen-BioHealth Kit
GI Effects Gastrointestinal Function Comprehensive Profile (One Day Collection)-Genova Kit

bump

At least consult someone before, or at the very least go in for a check-up directly afterward letting them know what you've done

I'm trying to imagine OP, devoid of family and friends willing to donate, finding a stool sample.

Perhaps he goes to a couple of supermarkets and disables the toilets, so that he can swoop in after a particularly loud excretion and nab the stool with a sanitary hairnet he brought from home, rushing out the door draping his trenchcoat over the dripping sample

Soon after he delivers it safely to the warm crockpot in his car, he rushes home to subject the poo to rigorous chemical analysis and discover if he's allergic to anything the donor had eaten at taco bell the previous day.

finally, he readies his custom silicone Ovipositor sex toy (the Splorch model) to deliver a high-velocity shot of feces up his loosened butthole.

After this day of exertion, he picks up Veeky Forums to see if anyone else responded to his thread, cross-referencing them with webMD to see if their posts have any merit.

Godspeed, OP.

yes of course. I'm seeing a doctor who does it for c diff before I go through with it. I know he's probably going to recommend against it though.
this was good. Fortunately I have a few donor options so no need for that elaborate plot.

What gastro problem do you have? C diff is the only one with a substantial body of evidence for it. Most other studies are rather disappointing, to say the least, and inconclusive. Unlike many on this forum, I happen to think in vitro studies are interesting conceptually and rather useless in a clinical setting. I would really caution against this...

>I happen to think in vitro studies are interesting conceptually and rather useless in a clinical setting
I mean there are plenty of "success stories" and similar things that show that it works outside of controlled environments too. But before I link a bunch of popular stories and anecdotes citing fmt as working here are a few of the ones done clinically. I really only care about IBS-C portions of the research:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5473130/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4073534/
gut.bmj.com/content/66/5/980
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4951383/
google.com/search?ei=OqHyWcuTOcS7jwSJ-pCoBw&q=ibs-c fmt google scholar&oq=ibs-c fmt google scholar&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i21k1.9816.12163.0.12217.15.15.0.0.0.0.167.1393.7j6.13.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.12.1295...35i39k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.YHL19zUsts8

I also have strong reason to believe that my constipation is due to some bacterial problem rather than some nervous or muscular disorder because 1. a person I live with developed the exact same symptoms a week before me (although their's went away after several months) and 2. I have responded to probiotics for short durations of time. Here are the popular links

Article covering OpenBiome stool bank, one of their donors, and the need for more donors: news.wgbh.org/2017/04/13/science-and-technology/why-central-square-stool-bank-paying-40-poop-donation

Video covering one of OpenBiome's donors: cnn.com/videos/health/2015/08/25/fecal-transplant-poop-medicine.cnn

Fecal Transplants May Be a Miracle Cure for Some of Our Nastiest Illnesses: wired.com/2016/11/microbiome-therapy-making-fecal-transplants-better/

Doctors transfer the power of gut bacteria: azdailysun.com/news/local/doctors-transfer-the-power-of-gut-bacteria/article_5956de37-7b12-52ab-9491-0853b067f39c.html

Guy does DIY FMT for IBS (does some extreme & unnecessary things): theverge.com/2016/5/4/11581994/fmt-fecal-matter-transplant-josiah-zayner-microbiome-ibs-c-diff

Article's covering researcher Jeff Leach's microbiome experiments (including DIY FMT) with the Hadza tribe: popsci.com/article/science/scientist-gives-himself-fecal-transplant-try-hunter-gatherers-microbiome - humanfoodproject.com/rebecoming-human-happened-day-replaced-99-genes-body-hunter-gatherer/ - rawstory.com/2017/07/heres-what-happened-to-a-professor-of-genetic-epidemiologys-gut-microbiome-when-he-lived-with-hunter-gatherers/

Article covering researcher Lauren Petersen, who cured herself of post-lyme illness with DIY FMT: mobile.the-scientist.com/article/49450/athletes-microbiomes-differ-from-nonathletes

2017 study shows FMT helpful for Autism: medicalxpress.com/news/2017-01-gut-microbe-potential-treatment-autism.html

Article covering a clinic in Tampa Florida that helps people do FMT for conditions other than c.diff. They also cover the ASU autism study, safety, and more: buzzfeed.com/nidhisubbaraman/inside-tampa-fecal-transplant-clinic

Powerofpoop success stories: thepowerofpoop.com/fecal-transplant-success-stories

Where to start? I usually hate going into detail but I legitimately want to help you not eat someone else's poop for no reason.

1. Metaanalysis (this is worrisome in and of itself- you likely don't realize this but metaanalyses are rather notorious in scientific medicine for being self-selective and unreliable). 48 patients total. The metanalysis in question uses a fucking letter to the editor and a case report. Look, this isn't scientific. It's a scattering of data points that the authors of the metaanalysis glued together in the most unreliable way possible. This is proof of absolutely nothing. I don't have the time or the inclination to pour over every individual thing cited but the abstract itself notes that they all use wildly different study design which is concerning. I have to wonder what the p value is.

2. Not a study.

3. No control group. Not double blinded. Small number of patients. Basically a collection of case reports and not a study.

4. Not a study. There's one paragraph on FMT and I don't consider it worth much.

Now, here's a question for you: have you had a colonoscopy done? Have you had an endoscopy done? Have you had any imaging (CT, ultrasound, MRE) done of your small intestine/colon?

ok good this is why I came here instead of eating poop.
>Now, here's a question for you: have you had a colonoscopy done? Have you had an endoscopy done? Have you had any imaging (CT, ultrasound, MRE) done of your small intestine/colon?
Lol. I've had everything done and then some. Doctor first prescribed me xifaxan without testing me for anything which made my problem 100x worse and hasn't gotten any better since. Tried amitiza which didnt do shit and have been on linzess since. Had colonoscopy, endoscopy, SIBO breath test, stool sample, and CT scan. Worst problem is extreme gas that just stays in my intestine moving around there all day long and it is uncomfortable as hell. Pooping sometimes relieves this and sometimes doesn't.

and I'm assuming all of those tests were unremarkable?

Look, there are a lot of treatments that help IBS. It's frustrating not finding one that works right away but trust me when I say that virtually every person I know who has had it winds up managing it successfully with time and effort. Lifestyle changes and elimination diets can sometimes help where medication fails. Hopefully that offers some vague reassurance.

Have you tried bog standard laxatives?

It's funny, but now that I'm getting an image of your problem it's reminding me that I actually had this problem in my 20s as well. IBS-C, very nasty. It caused me pretty terrible abdominal pain too, which was worse than the constipation by a mile. So I sympathize with you a lot, brother. Hang in there and don't eat other people's poop, particularly not without a doctor's supervision. Feel free to take probiotics, though.

>medical science has reached the point where people willingly do poop transplants
eh maybe sometimes it's better to just to suffer or even die instead of doing a poop transplant at least you go out with some dignity heh

Try magnesium, mastic gum, iberogast, and cbd.

When last I surveyed the bleak and dreary landscape of the medical literature they were looking very promising as a treatment for c diff that is recurrent (which is a sadly large subset of that population). Flagyl and vanc can only carry us so far, sadly. You usually deliver it in a colonoscopy rather than eating it in those cases, however.

just to ask, what is the worst thing that could happen from doing it via enema? Keep in mind like I stated above I'll only probably do this if I receive some assistance from my doc who does fmt for c diff.
Ha, I've tried all of those things to no avail. See, the problem isn't primarily the constipation. It's this severe formation of gas that I get from eating. Like if I eat whole wheat bread I have to take a laxative because the gas is too much to handle. I haven't found anything or anyone on the internet even coming close to being able to describe what this is like. Severe and extreme do this injustice. However, when I seeded yogurt with probiotics it worked for a short duration curing the constipation and bringing my gas down to managable levels. It didn't work for too long though.

Get your gallbladder checked. It could be that bile is leaking into your gut all the time causing a shortage when it comes time to eating things like bread and other stuff that bile helps break down.

The worst that could happen? Colonic perforation followed by peritonitis, sepsis, and then death.

would this have shown up on a CT scan or a blood test? Had both of those.

Also, DGL.
My understanding of commercial probiotics is that they're engineered to die off quickly in the gut so that you get the effect for a brief time, but need to keep taking it to maintain it.

Damn man, sounds awful. I hope you find some relief.

This is correct. Commercial probiotics do not colonize the gut and can not endure when not actively taken regularly. There really isn't much science behind this whole thing, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would say if you're going to take probiotics, take a pill with as diverse a cluster of organisms as you can.

Ultrasound is the procedure of choice for imaging the gallbladder. CT doesn't show gallstones very well. Cholecystitis usually shows up though.

I don't think you have a gallbladder problem, personally, but most surgeons in the USA would take it out just as a matter of course because they love taking out gallbladders.

you're constipated because you don't eat enough carbs and fats and oils (if you are lactose intolerant, milk and cheese are great ways of preventing constipation)
just eat more of them and you will be fine
you will be shitting 3 to 4 times a day, but you won't get constipated

>the day OP literally ate shit

do some more research user
there is a cure for your problems

DSM 17938
L. Reuteri
researchgate.net/profile/Yuying_Liu2/publication/311792087_Resetting_microbiota_by_Lactobacillus_reuteri_inhibits_T_reg_deficiency-induced_autoimmunity_via_adenosine_A2A_receptors/links/585d561108aebf17d38a3279/Resetting-microbiota-by-Lactobacillus-reuteri-inhibits-T-reg-deficiency-induced-autoimmunity-via-adenosine-A2A-receptors.pdf

reset the immune system
re-grow intestinal lining
kills H. Pylori and other micro organisms

I have a similar problem but not to the same degree. Eating a lot of maize and cutting down on bread has helped me a lot.

It sounds like you literally have crohn's or celiac disease

Yea we've spoken before. My reuteri literally came in the mail not thirty minutes and I'll be making my yogurt with it today. I'll probably post an update in two weeks or so. That's how long these probiotics tend to help me out for.

Real nice randomized, controlled trial, brainlet. Interesting stuff, but not enough so that you should be using it to recommend treatment to people.

>I know he's probably going to recommend against it though.

Why do you "know" that? Why do you think Veeky Forums is a better source of health advice than your doctor? Why do you even ask the question, since you don' want the answer, you want the answer you already have decided?

What are you talking you stupid idiot. I haven't decided on anything, that's why I asked here and am going to speak to my doctor about it. Doctors usually don't recommend doing procedures at home, that's how I "know". Fucking retard.