What is the highest form of art, Veeky Forums?

what is the highest form of art, Veeky Forums?

and why isn't it literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

victorianweb.org/authors/pater/renaissance/7.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bjp9jptbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're gonna have to try harder than that.

Political Cartoons

3d imax w/ dolby digital 7.1 surround sound

Music > Painting > Sculpture > Literature > Film > Vidya > the rest of them

easily music & lyrics.

Love making~~

Playing imaginary games without rules with your friends in your childhood.

How is Vidya so low? It's music, paintings, sculptures, literature and film combined and made interactive.

poetry

Film can have all other forms of art in it, therefore film is the most superior.

Music is senseless garbage. It's a craft, not an art.

It makes it inferior since there is less room for innovation or any intellectualism else it breaks the delicate balance.

In theory, I think film trumps literature, but in reality they are about the same.

Anime is the highest form of art.

music.
last week I went to this piano concert. this ucranian dude called Lubomyr Melnyk played about four different pieces.
his hands moved like water. and it legit sounded like heaven.
I even started crying at some point, his music touched my soul.

pussy

>"All art constantly aspires towards the condition of music" (i.e. the arts seek to unify subject-matter and form, and music is the only art in which subject and form are seemingly one).

Explain this

What the fuck does it mean

>(i.e. the arts seek to unify subject-matter and form, and music is the only art in which subject and form are seemingly one).

What? When was it written?

victorianweb.org/authors/pater/renaissance/7.html

This

Not that user, but vidya is of questionable quality precisely because it combines so many art forms, but can't actually use their potential. Music is merely background, visuals largely cliched and tasteless and the stories are shallow and confined to the rules of the "art"form (ie, you practically can't have introspection, you constantly need action). And even if you do succeed in combining the art forms and create fascinating environments and tales (Psychonauts, for example) the gameplay then becomes merely a tool to get you from one environment and plot point to the next. It would be more efficient if you just made a movie /animation.
Games shouldn't be art, they should be games first and foremost, and art within them should be treated as design.

None. If you knew shit about more than one form you'd see how each of them offers radically different tools which cannot be compared.

I think that was a Kandinsky quote

(Checked)

1877, makes sense. In the 20th century painting became concerned with its own material reality rather than aspiring to be anything else.

what about classical dance?

Music because it is based on maths; that is, it's directly evocative of some inexplicable truth about reality, about what it is to Be and harmony.

Poetry (and poetically fuelled prose) because it aspires, in metre and cadence, to communicate those same musical qualities; that is, mathematical qualities.

Physical art because it seeks to communicate something inherent in shape and form regarding this same truth.

So mathematics is the highest form of art. Everything else is either a merging of the above forms of expression or artistically worthless.

>Sculpture

What significant sculpture has been built in the last like 600 years

>Music
Can be enjoyed by a god or a cow
I'm not sure it's a good thing though but I guess if I'd have to choose one art to go on an island it'd be music

Begging the question.

Fail.

I can't believe you faggots think there's a singularity or a universal one-dimensional scale in which you can summarise inherent qualities of the artforms. All of them are god damn amazing.

Films have been utter shit since 50 years, my dude.

>WHO IS CANOVA
>WHO IS RODIN

GET THE FUCK OUT PLEB

Rodin I'll give you, Canova is just a talented LARPer

w h a t
h
a
t

The highest form? hmm.

The most complete form is obviously film. It involves music, writing, scenery, acting, so on and so forth.

So probably film when taken seriously as an art form.

Roleplaying you're a Greek sculptor isn't art

The more elements you add to the artistic language, the less value they add to the experience. Its components become impure.

I believe it could mean that music only works in a specific way relevant to itself, which is why I placed it at the most supreme category, no other artform manipulates the enviorenment and evoques emotion the way music does.

You need to "play" more videogames.

Define "highest" and "form" in this context.

High forms of art can be music, dancing and visual arts which appeal to our bare bone without the need of a specific verbal human language to worry about, which makes them universal and high in that sense, as a generally agreed principle.

Visually, anything from static images to images emotion andanything that appeals to our sense of space including sculpture and architecture.

History of art classes taught me that architecture and sculpture are the highest forms.

One could also say that the highest form of art is living, as life imitates art.

the 'highest' form of art is obviously architecture

next question

see film doesn't even have a praxis that doesn't involve the arts you mentioned, except maybe editing

Donald Judd
Neoclassical is disgusting, go back to the nursing home

>History of art classes taught me that architecture and sculpture are the highest forms.

What the hell did you not learn of the paragone debates?

>You need to "play" more videogames.
I played plenty of them when I was younger. These days I'm more conservative and don't like picking up anything new (new to me, ie not necessarily a recently published game). Do you have any recs that would affect my views on vidya?

>all forms of art in one duuude!
What is this meme?
Many media =/= more quality
If so, software-based media (for example video games or websites) should be considered the highest form of art. And... no, definitely no.
Films can not transmit the same level of emotion and involvment of literature and music. And when they do, it's mostly temporary pathos, very ephemeral indeed... you come back home from the cinema, you fall asleep and the next day you're left with nothing.
Also, films have been utter shit since the last 50 years, so I don't see how you can consider them the highest form of art.

So Rodin isn't an artist because he was imitating Michelangelo. Nice reasoning!!!
I suggest you to read a book about Neoclassicism, because you clearly don't know even the basics.

Pico to Chiko Shota Idol no Oshigoto is one of my favorites

how did you come to this conclusion?

Not that guy but I'm not sure about Judd. His writing on art like his idea of 'three-dimensional objects' is really good but it seems to me like they are better embodied in the work of Carl Andre. 'Minimalism' is significant, but I would only reluctantly call it sculpture instead of just 'art'.

>Neoclassical is disgusting, go back to the nursing home
Post your sculptures, you plebbest of the plebs

how is this not self evident to you?

>caring about art

You fell for the meme.

ok so ur dumb and uneducated.

next user.

>Donald Judd
LMAO le pathetic conceptual garbage only an Americatard could appreciate
Great, keep that shit in your country and we're fine

a real knee-slapper, kiddo

fuck your dense

>what is the highest form of art
>highest

dumb threads beg dumb replies

ignorance level: infinte

Where is the art?

Well, I used to share your views until I 'played' Half Life 2, Dark Souls and Silent Hill 2, those videogames changed my perspective on the medium and made me realize that games can have a narrative without relying on other art forms, the gameplay is the core of the experience.
Subsequently works such as Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Spec Ops The Line reassured such views.
If you've already played some of this games, I advise you to replay them with this in mind.

japan is the highest form of art

You didn't get the joke

>So Rodin isn't an artist because he was imitating Michelangelo.

He wasn't though, he actually created distinct works both thematically and technically that could never have been created in the Renaissance or Classical era. There is a distinct categorical difference between the two artists

I'll go with Palladio anytime for classicism, imho the paragone debates were a form of self-renewal and this comes from a deep lover of visual arts.

planes fly higher than buildings stand. satellites even higher. you dumbo.

not even him but fuck me this really flew over your heads huh

Sorry, that looks like a casting of fecal matter to me.

are planes and satellites art though?

If it's not art it can't be a 'high' form of art

>He wasn't though, he actually created distinct works both thematically and technically that could never have been created in the Renaissance or Classical era
Same with Canova.
>inb4 "no"
Go study Neoclassicism.

nothing is art or isnt art but thinking makes it so

That doesn't make it any less significant

>they're starting a discussion about what is art and what is not
Plebeians revealed.

>he's starting a discussion about what is plebeian and what is not

why are you all so militant? do you come here just to get angry?

discussing what is art and what isnt is the highest form of discussion

being militant is what attracts females and gains you respect in society.

It definitely isn't, since you'll never, never, never get to a conclusion. And knowing this is a sign of wisdom.

(Checked)
Quite a few consecutive (You)s, very nice

what would possibly make you want those things?

never coming to conclusion is the highest form of conclusion. besides, i know what art is, but not gonna tell you. gonna keep it to myself.

>being militant is what attracts females
KEKKEREKEK

I've had enough

females is the highest form of things respect is pivotal unless you never leave basement.

smell my sweaty armpits

>not gonna tell you. gonna keep it to myself.
that's good, you have my respect

>unless you never leave basement.

Well I don't, so jokes on you

Keeping "things" for yourself is a form of self-expression.

>females is the highest form of things
whoa whoa whoa we've already stalled in resolving what is the highest form of art. don't bring a general "things" into this.

>respect is pivotal unless you never leave basement.
I've never had a problem with this and I don't even have a basement. could you elaborate?

Not leaving basement is highest form of not leaving

also true, faggot, also true.

could you elaborate on you've never had a problem with this

buttholes > basements > females > airplanes > bildboards

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'gaining' respect' but I don't think the thought has ever crossed my mind. usually I just do what I want to do without stepping on anybody else's toes so to speak and I manage to traverse society well enough for my ends. what about you?

I just fuck bitches man

theres default level of respect for everyone you meet, respect that can increase or decrease. would you shake hands with

has anyone ever told you you're not very articulate? nor particularly interesting to converse with.

>would you shake hands with
absolutely. i very much enjoy shaking hands with.

woops

true

All kinds of Idealist Art are closer to each other than to their respective Formalist side. This painting and this piece of Music are more similar to each other in their greatness than, say, a boring Renaissance beige tit bonanza and a self-serving B*ch fugue, respectively.

youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bjp9jptbM

> > > > > > >>

Veeky Forums? /toy/?

they're art

satellites, planes, figs, and Mcdonald's sandwiches are all art apparently. you learn something new every day :)

post-modernist discourse, do your homework