How are object represented neurally?

How are object represented neurally?
>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosia#Visual_agnosia)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908271/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusiform_face_area)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_distributed_memory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No one knows.

Lesion studies say otherwise.

lesions don't explain everything

>nuke parts of the brain
>certain things stop working
>"Ah now I understand everything :^)"

>conclude your hypothesis instead of failing to reject
if only medicine was like statistics

the ventral visual pathway represents object names/meaning

the dorsal visual pathway represents the object in visual space

ventral pathway is conscious
dorsal pathway is unconscious

example for damage to ventral pathway, see blindsight (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight) and agnosia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosia#Visual_agnosia)

for examples of the other type (inability to manipulate objects) here: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908271/

also there is a special spot in the right hemisphere called the fusiform gyrus that is specifically evolved to recognize faces (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusiform_face_area)

any other questions?

there's still a lot that's unknown btw

t. studied neurobiology in undergrad

>ventral pathway is conscious
>dorsal pathway is unconscious
What do you mean by that? Pretty sure I'm also conscious of visual stuff going on.

so look around the room and notice all the objects

in your mind you can name the objects, describe what they are, and what they look like

this is all conscious information that you can name from your declarative memory

then there is a 2nd "type" of information about the objects

that is there size, shape, and procedural knowledge of how to manipulate the objects in space (see pic related)

the ability of your brain to do this is largely unconscious (i.e. there are people who can do pic related just fine but when asked what orientation the letter slot is in they have no idea)

pretty interdasting stuff

lol *their sry

Object representation is a semi-serial process that becomes more complex across the cortical hierarchy.

First, basic object components are processed such as color and shape, the latter based orientation tuning of neurons in primary visual cortex (i.e.neurons show a strong response to certain orientations of line segments that fall within their receptive field). These basic components are then grouped on the basis of similarity, providing information on distinct edges to the visual form, on the basis of which figure-ground segregation is able to take place (i.e. an object is located in front of a background). Further along the hierarchy and in the ventral stream, the visual representation is matched with structural descriptions in memory by interacting with the hippocampus and related cortical structures. Semantic attributes are then applied to the visual representation, providing meaning, and thereby recognition.

Within these stages of course there are more specific processes that take place to complete the different processing components. Further, other existing models propose integrative hierarchies (top-down and bottom-up), as well as parallel processing, as opposed to this general bottom-up hierarchy.

This is what I am looking for, I just want to know more than the basic of V1 process lines, color and motion perseption, and that the hierchy puts it all together?

isn't this basically asking "what is a thought?"

Pretty much. The further along the hierarchy you go, the more complex the total set of extracted features, finally culminating into discrete objects.

But this hierarchical view is the classical one, and somewhat outdated given the currently prevalent view that retrograde and lateral neural interactions are critical to the emergence of receptive fields and their properties (e.g. feedback connections vastly outnumber feed forward connections in the visual system).

Are you looking for specific literature or just an interactive approach to learning?

what is this field called?

yeah I mean there's this stuff too but this is more just sensory mechanics which is pretty similar across sensory modalities

sensory processing

Visual cognition, object recognition, whichever label you want to put on it. But that won't help you much with finding literature. Best to look at specific topics, like color processing in V4, motion processing in V5/MT, etc. There are pretty decent reviews out there.

>pretty similar across sensory modalities
Uuuuh, no.That's what they tell you in college but that's pretty far from true. Pretty much the only overlap is that the auditory system shows tonotopy and the visual system shows retinotopy, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Olfactory information doesn't even pass through the thalamus, somatosensory cortices don't show orientation preference, auditory cortices have no spatial receptive fields, etc. The computational properties of the various primary sensory cortices are more different from each other than they are alike.

How are we able to see the full picture if the hierchy process different part of the visual field?

>Olfactory information doesn't even pass through the thalamus
How is blindsight possible then? Don’t they pass through tectum and amygdala first like Vsauce said in his dejavu video either?

Blindsight is possible because a small fraction of visual information bypasses the LGN. The vast majority of it does go through the thalamus, as opposed to the olfactory system which bypasses the thalamus in its entirety.

Where in the brain is the percetion of vision, or do they all at ones create it together somehow?

It kind of depends on what aspect of perception you are referring to. Visual information is coded by the responses of individual neurons and the co-activation patterns of the combined set of neurons that capture the visual field (i.e. multiple visual features can be perceptually bound through functional connectivity between the areas that code individual features; how this occurs precisely is still up for grabs but there are hypotheses like binding by synchrony).

But we typically don't perceive uniformly across our visual field: attention is allocated to specific areas within the visual field, enhancing the perceptual experience of those particular areas at the expense of others. This can be implemented by selectively boosting processing within retinotopic areas, which through lateral inhibition will result in the suppression of other areas.

can you minmax your brain function by turning off senses?

Care to deliver figure legends and the abbreviations, OP?

imo it works like this:
- both fields are "scanned" for (Ro)ds and (Co)nes and "denoised"
- images form rods are temporarly shifted somewhere else
- then it's "Co" fields are converted to HSV like image.
-they're recursively split into "thinner" hue and saturation chunks, (like you would do with thresholding)
- then every field is down-sampled and divided to macroblock like structure
-avg + st.dev "intensites" are "calculated" and compared with neighbors
-differences+std dev like are then "stored" some to perform different "recognition"

i think it much like modern video codes, but without ability to perform Fourier transform.
also i think that touch plays much bigger role that we might think

also, all biological jargon really aggravates me

>and shape
and how would you quickly recognize shape?

Pretty sure blindsight is in damage before the ventral stream.

Also the conscious unconscious thing is probably not necessarily true i think.

T. This information is so basic you coulda just got it from wikipedia which maybe you did.

This is probably one of the most important and difficult questions one could ask in general. Actually having an answer to this would revolutionize psychology, philosophy, computer science, linguistics etc.

Why do you thibj it sorks lime this.

If you look at the olfactory sensory areas in relation to the brain youll see it doesnt nedd to gk tehough the thalamus

>all biological jargon really aggravates me
Then don't read a thread about biology. The brain isn't trivially similar to a computer, so we shouldn't try to describe it like one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_distributed_memory

Are they unable to answer the question because they can't name or describe the property?

>imo it works like this
Why is there always some retard in these types of threads who thinks he knows what he's talking about yet gives a completely fucking retarded answer?

>and how would you quickly recognize shape?
A shape is a combination of line segments. Line segments are the first thing your visual system processes (i.e. V1 codes them).

Dont drink and Veeky Forums kids