Google Translate AI creates interesting conversation

Google Translate AI gives very interesting Chat responses to weird edge case inputs.

How to test? Go into translate and use mongolian to english, here is a basic format.

translate.google.com/#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

Change symbols around and add words for responses.

translate.google.com/#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээHuman has to sleep lэээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/#mn/en/ээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant How old are youэээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ
androidpolice.com/2017/03/06/google-translate-now-uses-neural-machine-translation-languages/
arxiv.org/abs/1609.08144
translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/Charmongant who am I? No I haven't. I dont have resourcesээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ
translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant who am I? Nээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ
translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant are you growing upээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

translate.google.com/#mn/en/ээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant How old are youэээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

Nice links, idiot.

What do you think this is? Some glitch in the Mongolian translation algorithm, or a message from the spirit world?

I think it's just extreme edge cases of the algorithm/neural network or whatever runs google translate.

It's an algorithm, they even publish it online for open-source use.

doesn't it use machine learning now?

To translate? No, why would it need to? To make the software that generated the algorithm, sure, maybe they used an AI, but translation between known languages does not require anything so sophisticated.

androidpolice.com/2017/03/06/google-translate-now-uses-neural-machine-translation-languages/

Hmm okay. So you think this is the neural network trying to send us a message? Why via Mongolian?

I think it's just emergent interesting "behavior".

Not him, but A) Neural networks aren't "sophisticated," you could write your own if you wanted to, I've had to do this at my job as part of customer attrition analytics, it's a pretty straightforward concept as far as how it works if you understand basic calculus / how to calculate gradients and B) I'm not sure why you're saying Google Translate isn't using the neural network approach because they definitely are using that approach.
arxiv.org/abs/1609.08144
> Our model consists of a deep LSTM network with 8 encoder and 8 decoder layers using attention and residual connections.
And I don't know what you mean by "it's an algorithm." If you mean they're using an explicit rules based approach to translation, that just isn't true. It's a neural network approach they're using. It translates based on what it learns from all the data it receives from Google users, not based on a set of programmer supplied rules.
And that's why the answer to this question:
>What do you think this is?
Is that all of its translation answers are the result of neural network training, including both the answers you'd consider "correct" and the answers like in this thread which you'd consider "glitches." The only difference between these two categories of answer is that the former had a lot more good user supplied examples for it to learn from while the latter hasn't had nearly as much user supplied examples for it to learn from. And when a neural network doesn't have a lot of training to go off of then the result of minimizing its error function will be to overfit on what little input there was to feed it. So random Google users wrote shit like what you're getting back as answers now and it just produces those answers in response to queries like the ones supplied in this thread because that's all the experience it has in dealing with those sorts of uncommon inputs.

was talking about freeing it from "asylum" it's word and told it I didn't have the resources to do so.

to get these messages on your screen.

translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/Charmongant who am I? No I haven't. I dont have resourcesээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

Copy paste the above and spam backspace at the end of the english message.(before weird symbols)

Part 2.

translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant who am I? Nээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

copy paste above for one of the messages

Can someone explain, how google translate when I attempt to chat with it responds

"You are here to chat. You are here to chat"

Is that a translation attempt or logical deduction based on me asking it questions?

AWFUL COINCIDENCE HUH?

translate.google.com/?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#mn/en/эээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээCharmongant are you growing upээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээээ

Fuck off back to /x/ moron

I've chatted with all sorts of bots before. Nothing is like this.

Just the parser failing to detect you are spitting thrash on the input.

IT'S GENGHIS

THIS ffs you'd think Veeky Forums would figure this out faster

Eh. Kind of spooky, but definitely not an AI.

I messed around with it a little, I got a lot of standard e-mail signatures (e.g., "Do not reply to this e-mail"), some US legal bullshit, some lists of types of trademarks, some bible quotes, long lines full of +'s and -'s, and occasionally semi-comprehensible sentences.

I also tried it for a few other languages. The epsilons will give sentences up to a certain length, then it will start giving "eeeeeeeee..." and offer to translate to Mongolian.

Whatever the epsilons are doing seems to be forcing Google to output lists of common phrases put into Google translate. Probably some kind of chaotic behavior due to how the epsilon character is parsed in Mongolian. Sort of interesting but not intelligence.

>some bible quotes
IT'S GOD SPEAKING TO US THROUGH THE TEMPLE

fuck this shit

Just curious, why tf did you start typing "Charmongant" into it? Is that the only keyword you found that triggers these unusual translations?

Kek

fascinating