Anyone else feel that studying maths has made them smarter?

Anyone else feel that studying maths has made them smarter?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3182557/
unc.edu/~nielsen/soci708/cdocs/Schmidt_Hunter_2004.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

90% of the people on this shitty board think that memorizing and passing calc 3 makes you a genius

they are all retarded

Damn.

This so much honestly

Rel8able.

No, IQ is constant.

No, IQ can be studied for. IQ is not constant. The perfect and ideal intelligence test is constant but that test doesn't exist because psychologists are a bunch of incompetent retards.

I hate this meme so much. IQ is used for population-wide predictions and helping people with disabilities. It gets less and less useful with the INDIVIDUAL the higher it gets. IQ on average is stable, yet there can be an individual with IQ 10 points higher than he had 10 years ago. Our brain changes due to external stimuli, be it occupation, diet, exercise, injury, overexposure to information and a million other things.

t. person who scored

>IQ dwindles over time, babies are not born geniuses. Brain trauma, drug use, and other environmental causes can affect your brain power. Pi is constant not IQ

No, I got 130 the first time I did it as a kid. Last time I got 157.

IQ is literally fake news. But I do believe intelligence is genetic and constant, it is just that we don't have good enough tests.

Why do you believe intelligence is constant?

Because people who I knew were stupid when I was a kid are still stupid to this day. And people who I knew were smart when I was a kid are still smart to this day.

It seems that you are born with a fixed amount of intelligence. Sad but true.

That's a nice anecdote, so give me another one: have you met a supposedly stupid person who actually cared about improving his intelligence and studying STEM? Can you explain why when some people get hit on their head they become savants?

Not sure if it made me smarter, but learning to understand the actual theory behind math has improved my abstract thinking a lot. It's probably more like learning a skill than actually becoming smarter though. Kinda like learning to use mathematical logic as a tool.

People who aquire savant syndrome are usually autistic and they score very low on IQ tests. They aren't intelligent, they just have useless talents.

Made me feel dumber that's for sure. Don't know if it has actually made me smarter.

dunno about smarter, but it's like you are no longer a part of the same species anymore

Nope. I went from not being able to solve a linear equation to acing upper div PDE (and 5 semesters of analysis) course in three years and I still think I'm just as retarded as I was.

ow, excellent observation, reading and doing things makes you smarter! Who'd have thought?

Not anyone up to date with research apparently, which says intelligence is genetic and constant.

Peer reviewed example of this research? Please, educate me. Its just an excuse for people to shitpost here instead of doing their fucking homework.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3182557/
unc.edu/~nielsen/soci708/cdocs/Schmidt_Hunter_2004.pdf
>The accumulated evidence has become very strong that GMA is correlated with a wide variety of life outcomes, ranging from risky health-related behaviors, to criminal offenses, to the ability to use a bus or subway system (Gottfredson, 1997; Lubinski & Humphreys, 1997). In addition, the more highly a given GMA measure loads on the general factor in mental ability (the g factor), the larger are these correlations. The relative standing of individuals on GMA has been found to be stable over periods of more than 65 years (Deary, Whalley, Lemmon, Crawford, & Starr, 2000). Findings in behavior genetics, including studies of identical twins reared apart and together (e.g., Bouchard, Lykken, McGue, Segal, & Tellegen, 1990), have shown beyond doubt that GMA has a strong genetic basis (e.g., Bouchard, 1998; McGue & Bouchard, 1998).

g-factor isn't (known) to be genetic though, its a measure of intelligence *after* you've already gone through childhood development.

Memorising formulae does not make you smart. Understanding how they were derived and how to think in a logical way makes you smart.

Memorisation gets you nowhere; enabling another way of seeing things will.

People who still think that IQ is constant in time and not affected by lifetime events shall get an upgrade from middle ages to 2017.

>Anyone else feel that studying ... has made them smarter?

Isn't that the point of studying? To help you recognize and apply your knowledge, thereby making you smarter?

I didn't mean more knowledgeable, I meant intelligence as in pattern recognition and spatial reasoning.

fluid intelligence peaks at 23, after that it's just downhill

Checked

And it's the same thing. You study, you get more familiar with patterns, you recognize them more easily. If you take people who've just gotten their diplomas, the more capable one will be more intelligent than the other, but both of them should be smarter than they were when they started.

It made me more autistic.

naaa I just understood that shit

Exactly.

depends on how you define "smart."
if you define it as "your current level of understanding of logic", the answer is obviously yes

there are some brainlets who like to define intelligence as some "ceiling" of your ability to understand shit. but the truth is the ceiling is based on the shit you're trying to understand, and not on you. this shoudl be obvious in the current year 2017. we have machine learning algorithms literally training themselves to crush at the highest levels of the extremely complicated games. with enough time and storage, the system can always get more intelligent, up until the point that it has solved the game

James Grime?

This but unironically

Veeky Forums proved to me that mathfags really are dumb for once.

hurr durr fart noise *accidentally shits self* whoops

take your bets now folks, is it a phys fag or an engy fag

When I go to college to learn maths next semester, how can I learn to do this?

[spoiler]philosophy[/spoiler]
fuck you

nice b8 m8

I learned that I hate mathfags and their sperging for the most inane shit