Which version of the Bible should I read? I'm interested in the background it provides for western literature...

Which version of the Bible should I read? I'm interested in the background it provides for western literature, so I'm not looking for modernized or abridged versions.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oxford NSRV

ESV for modern English is good. Most versions are fine though, just avoid the NIV it's pretty bad

>Not looking for modernized versions
The King James Version is the cornerstone of Western literature

If he just reads the King James he won't get half of it, not because the text is difficult, but because he won't understand the context.

He should just get a modernized version.

However, if he really, really doesn't want a modernized one then yeah, King James is pretty much the best one.

If you're really interested in the book's influence on English literature, it has to be the King James. If you want to read it as literature in its own right you can pick whatever.

I've got both NSRV and KJV up right now, and I have to admit that I'm already missing subtleties in KJV. Looks like my eyes were too big for my Early Modern English.

Perhaps I've been unlucky, but when I've stayed in a hotel and it was available (which I didn't realise was an actual thing) I've read random sections and found it pretty horrific. It reads like a list of gross over reactions by a complete incompetent who isn't fit to rule. God essentially tortures and commits genocide on a whim. Are there any teachings other than "be fearful"?

That's the Old Testament for you. The Israelites keep fucking up and God keeps punishing them. The message of the OT is basically that the buck stops with God so you don't mess around with him.

The New Testament is basically telling you that you're going to hell unless you believe in Jesus.

OP says
> I'm not looking for modernized or abridged versions.

user Responds
>He should just get a modernized version.

>no modernized version

Learn Greek and Hebrew then.

has to be kjv

you should read the newest version, obviously.

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false

> mfw Book of Susan and Book of Hairdryer

There is a 2 volume Norton Critical edition of the KJV titled "The English Bible." It has copious notes to help you.

King James obviously.

Revised Standard Edition, Ignatius Press

Depends if you only want to see it's impact on English lit or if you want to understand all of it.

English lit only: KJV (preferrably the original 1611 version)
Understanding it: see chart

KJV or NASB

>The New Testament is basically telling you that you're going to hell unless you believe in Jesus.
What?

John 3:18
>Those who believe in him are not condemned; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

NKJV, the Oxford, the NASV, Lattimore's New Testament, Alter's OT (the ones he's done so far; he's supposed to be finished in 2018), the KJV,.

Definitely this one.

>Which version of the Bible should I read?
The Holy one. It's got to say Holy on the cover otherwise it's a pretend bible.

Nah senpai, new covenant

Anyone read Thomas Jefferson's reorganized one?

Thoughts on the Knox bible?

This, only the Didache Bible.

KJV
it's the #2 source of English idioms, behind Shakespeare's work as a whole