Is this actually worth reading or just boring pseudo-philosophy for 2000 pages?

Is this actually worth reading or just boring pseudo-philosophy for 2000 pages?

fuck you, Veeky Forums, none of you faggots ever read

Bought this yesterday because (a) I'd heard of it, (b) that cover is good, (c) the start seemed intriguing. Sadly it joins an absurdly long backlog, though, so I'm in no position to answer.

Masterpiece

esssplain plees

It's an endless book, a novel of ideas. You should read it only if you really don't care about a "plot". It's not pseudo-philosophy, but, like philosophy, after reading it you'll have even more questions. I loved it.

Ok, but WHY did you love it.

Because it's a masterpiece.

Yeah, but why is it a masterpiece?

Im about halfway. I dont regret reading it and at times its amazing.

It's not pseudo-philosophy. You might as well call it a comedy, or a poetic novel.

Ps : Better than Ulysses.

What would it take for the some of you who have presumably spent dozens of hours of your life reading this book to describe it in more than two sentences?

I've read some Robert Müsli. It ain't no easy reading, but it's worth it. If 2000 pages frighten you, you could start with "Törleß" and see if you like his style.
>tmwoq still sitting on my shelf

It's a man thinking, ffs. What do you want us to say.

The protagonist may be without qualities, but this book has quality in spades! 10/10, best new literature, both thumbs up would read again.

It's a novel of ideas written in beautiful prose. What more do you want?

Boring pseudo philosophy. At least the first 10 pages after the first section (which was very good).

What is the man thinking about?
kek

Reading it now -- have the Knopf version shown in ops pic. I'm 300 pages in and digging it. It's full of insights, regressions, and ironies of modern life. Just coming off of Tye Magic Mountain, Musils prose reads more clinical for lack of a better word. Doesn't resort to Mann's use of imagery and symbolism to codify the big deas. Both are master works from the post war period but with different writing styles. If you're expecting much action then you'll be disappointed. Most of Ulrich's daily life centers around "the parallel campaign" and Viennese upper society. The trick I've learned is to read the book in 20 page increments. More than that in one sitting and it becomes tiresome.

There is *some* action when her sister gets introduced, halfway through or so (maybe a little later, can't remember). Still modest, as you can imagine.

i've read both translations and i thought it sucked