Self-diagnosis is bad

>self-diagnosis is bad
>medicine is le art as well as science
what did the medical field and """""profession""""" mean by these statements?

Other urls found in this thread:

aapa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/6_KE_Chart_5-5-17.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Self-diagnosis is bad, and is very often wrong. I've never heard anyone say the second one. Sounds retarded. Medicine is - or rather, should be - applied science. Relying on personal experience as a clinician is a terrible mistake.

how sheltered are you that you've never heard of medicine being both art and science

every doctor knows this concept
it's literally in the definition on wiki

>In recent centuries, since the advent of modern science, most medicine has become a combination of art and science

>b-but self diagnosis is bad

Over the counter drugs literally exist _BECAUSE_ of the concept of self-diagnosis being correct

>doctors are totally overloaded
>but you shouldn't do any research on your own, that would be le evil self diagnosis
>just bother doctors anytime you feel the need

Self diagnosis IS bad.

Doing your own research and discussing with your doctor = good. If you don't be a fucking idiot about it. Like that pancreatic cancer dickhead that posts here every so often.

>needing doctors or medicine
Is this the biggest sign of a genetic failure?

xD yeah man cure that cancer with your own piss

Since no one is giving a reason for why self-diagnosis is bad, I will. First off, you can end up obsessing over meaningless findings and stress yourself out. But even worse is when you assume something will be fine/blow over, but ends up being emergent. Earlier today I had a guy come in "for a cold" who had a pretty severe case of postoperative internal bleeding. Another time someone came in for "the flu" who had a ruptured appendix and full-blown peritonitis.

When it comes to your own body, you're an idiot. Let someone else check you out and make sure everything is alright if you aren't feeling good.

self diagnosis is bad if you are dumb, and good if you are smart

Although for some reason doctors always look at me funny when I speak in an informed manner about whatever is wrong with me. Its like they think I am trying to scam them.

That's amazing. How'd the peri guy do? In my experience (most dangerous words in medicine) delayed rupture has fairly low mortality but lots and lots of delicious morbidity.

>Self-diagnosis is bad, and is very often wrong.
Diagnosis by medical doctors is very often wrong as well. In fact, it would be fair to say it's usually wrong, in cases where it's not obvious to the patient before he comes in.

>Self diagnosis IS bad.
Only if you're stupid about it.

>Doing your own research and discussing with your doctor = good.
Doctors don't have time for that shit unless you're rich or you happen to have something they want to research.

Doctors have the training, but no time to apply it, and medicine's a much bigger field than anyone can learn more than a tiny corner of. Patients can take as much time as they need, and have basically the same access to information.

What doctors have that patients don't is the authority to order tests and prescribe treatments, and doctors have quite deliberately maneuvered themselves into that profitable gatekeeping position. They'll be pushed out of it soon enough.

>doctors always look at me funny when I speak in an informed manner about whatever is wrong with me
People who do their homework are rare. It's amazing how incompetent most people are at studying. That's why education is treated as such a big deal: most people won't learn unless taught.

>even worse is when you assume something will be fine/blow over, but ends up being emergent. Earlier today I had a guy come in "for a cold" who had a pretty severe case of postoperative internal bleeding. Another time someone came in for "the flu" who had a ruptured appendix and full-blown peritonitis.
I guarantee you that for every story like that, there are five where a patient came in gravely concerned for their health, and the doctor blew them off with a quick dismissal, and later it turned out they were in serious trouble.

Going by the same reasoning you reject self-diagnosis, shouldn't we also conclude that professional diagnosis is bad?

>came in for "the flu" and had a ruptured appendix
I did this to a T but thought it was a bad stomach bug lol
When I was told to go to the hospital I was more mad than anything

Based on... ? You seem to have some weird issue with doctors. Serious misses happen, but they aren't nearly as common as you're making it out to be, user.

>self diagnosis is bad if you are dumb, and good if you are smart
this

>Doctors have the training, but no time to apply it, and medicine's a much bigger field than anyone can learn more than a tiny corner of. Patients can take as much time as they need, and have basically the same access to information.
fucking this so hard

they're so overworked that you basically have to do their jobs in parallel to make sure they're not fucking up

>be educated and do homework
>go to doctor and discuss things
>mention a potential disease by name
>get "hypocondriac" put on chart
>doctors never, ever listen to you again

An applied science is always in some situations art. Especially medicine. There are so many conditions that have muddy causes or their symptoms overlap, that's it's impossible to deal with it a scientific way. You're left with guessing.

>Like that pancreatic cancer dickhead that posts here every so often.
Who?

>medicine is an art
this is terrible, this is an atrocity against everything humans are supposed to do

i understand it's the reality of the situation, but this reality is to be loathed, and humanity should seek to destroy it

medicine should never be an art. it should always be a quantified science.

watson is the first step towards bringing it to where it should be.

> Doctors will be pushed out of power
For now, other providers are being pushed into power. Physician assistants and nurse practitioners get more power every year.

Only MDs can approve tests, treatment and medication.

That will never, ever change.

>Over the counter drugs literally exist _BECAUSE_ of the concept of self-diagnosis being correct
No, they exist to treat SYMPTOMS you mong

This whole discussion is asinine. Yes, doctors miss some conditions, but take pathology of any given lesion found on imaging or on the skin and there will only rarely be room for doubt. Good luck "self-diagnosing" that nodule in your lung!

You're right that there's a line that PAs and NPs will likely never cross. The most autonomous ones can practice in rural areas and only have send in important shit to their supervising doctors 100 miles away. That's no worse than the doc at Big Name Hospital Network who has to fill out a stack of paperwork and have a PT do a drug test just to prescribe a percocet.

Chart by state for PA scope of practice: aapa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/6_KE_Chart_5-5-17.pdf

No, the concept is "you can diagnose yourself well enough to know what treatment is needed" plus "you know enough about medicine to not kill yourself when diagnosing and treating yourself" (e.g. don't drink and take Tylenol, plus many more things)

Over the counter medicines are enough to treat:
1. minor inflammation and fungal diseases of the skin
2. minor cuts and bruises
3. minor pain
4. minor GI upset

Please try again. Your point is nonsensical.

the point is that you are asked to diagnose yourself what you need

>Over the counter drugs literally exist _BECAUSE_ of the concept of self-diagnosis being correct
You'd be surprised about the amount of people who literally need an emergency liver transplant because they overdosed on acetaminophen.

Medicine is a technology (applied science), the same as Engineering for example. It is called an art because you have to deal with people on a certain manner to practice it. Biomedical Sciences= actual science.

Over the counter drugs literally exist _BECAUSE_ it's for minor issues like a flu, cold, or migraine. If symptoms continue to _PERSIST_ for a longer period of time, you see a doctor to discover if there's a deeper issue causing these symptoms.

Self-diagnosis can be bad if you ignore that it's a habitual issue and not just a one-time thing for the season. If you're constantly getting migraines, if you have flu-like symptoms for longer than a week, etc. you _SHOULD_ see a doctor to ensure your issue isn't more than just "drink more water" or "take some medicine to relive your symptoms and get over it"

or you could just go into rad and path and never deal with a single person ever outside of techs who you get to yell at. best decision ever made

until machines start reading images or assisting in reading and the salary drops

That day isn't far off, but for now it's ridiculously lucrative, and pretty fun too.