Do you agree with the argument this Calvin and Hobbes strip presents on the education system?

Do you agree with the argument this Calvin and Hobbes strip presents on the education system?

People who think education is about memorizing facts missed the point of their own education. If you actually take a moment and try to think critically about what you're learning, you'll realize that you're given the tools to succeed later on in life.

Sometimes you have to learn how to walk before you can run

Testing your memorization of dates is only to get people to actually remember most of the dates so they will correctly remember history in the correct chronological order.
Same for learning words to learn a language.
These styoooopid small things are part of a bigger goal, but they are necessary (not for some people).

>the argument
What argument would that be?

The dates in school dont help though when histroy is taught in sections about small groups mostly. They dont teach you about the hostory of america and how thing resulted in the next, they teach you that they landed a ship on 1620

That OP is a faggot

DISCLAIMER: NO HOMOPHOBIA INTENDED

What if this field of history study is pilgrims in Plymouth Rock? Then this date is necessary to have a correct idea of what happened when.

I can't defend history study, but maybe they combine this knowledge with history from Egypt and find out that the Afro-Americans were actually the first people to invent mathematics and that they built pyramid-spaceships.

>NO HOMOPHOBIA INTENDED
Why the homophobia?

Sorry, phrased the post poorly. Replace "argument" with "criticism".

Nigga, you can look up what happened in what year in a fucking iphone. What's important is to know what events led to what other events, why, and approximately when. Memorizing dates is a bad way to remember what happened when (because you're fucked if you forget it), understanding the context of important events is a really good way, because then if you forget when the Pilgrims landed, you know around when King James lived, and can figure out around when the Pilgrims lived from that.

School is indoctrination, brainwashing for society. Everybody goes through a similar process and comes out with a homogeneous foundational view of american life and the social side of school inducts children to the common culture local to the area.

Its a totally natural process, similar to how a parent shapes a child by exposing them to a certain way of life.

>Copyright 1994
Nice try cracka, but the ancient Afro-American invention of an "iPhone" wasn't stolen by the Caucasians yet

This is one of the biggest memes. I've never done a history test where one of the questions was just "what year". If your history tests aren't 90% essays and 10% explain the word/concept shortly, there's something wrong with your education system. You should have general grasp of the timeline, but not specific dates (i.e something happened in the 1500's)

>teaching narratives in history

ishygddt

>16XXish
0.25pt
>162Xish
0.50pt
>1620
0.75pt
>Monday, November 27 in the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ 1620
1pt

Faggots are fucked up. Not homophobia, but reality.

good luck forgetting something you bothered to write a wall of text about

>Faggots are fucked up.
Wrong.

Yes. As soon as a metric becomes a target it ceases to be a good metric.

Fags don't make babies, they are fucked up as far as nature is concerned.

there's no such thing as "being fucked up as far as nature is concerned"
nature is nature, anything is permitted. Fucking brainlet

is that way. Postmodernism doesn't belong here.

gtfo non-sci-polster

>I've never done a history test where one of the questions was just "what year"

Not even op, but nigga you can go to any of your local schools that has 1st through 6th grade classes and they will easily provide you tests with such questions. I know this because I assisted in teaching classes last year for elementary/ middle school for several districts and they pushed useless questions like that.

I agree with it and it's an extremely bad lesson to instill into kids.

you cant be this retarded and still be allowed to vote or pro create

Kids are taught how to learn by memorization, what they learn does not matter for that. They might as well teach 8 year olds that the derivatives of geometric functions, but dates are less abstract

That strip is how brainlets go through school. While i will admit i used that strategy for the more useless and less applicable subjects like US history, for just about everything else i sought to understand the subject on a deep enough level to not have to memorize anything. I got through college with As in all my STEM related courses and Bs in everything else without studying once, and while my IQ helped a lot with that, I attribute that success mostly to the fact that i didnt rely on memorizing facts like most of the rest of the class. If you understand something well enough, you can logically work out the parts they want you to recall on the test with little effort.

But what is the value of critically thinking about nothing? You have to have data to manipulate -- that data is the part you have to memorize, either for a day or for life.

>was forced to do some bullshit
>did it like a bitch
>"cynically manipulate the system"
Calvin's a faggot

I mean, he has a point. That said, being able to memorize something is important if you ever want anything done effectively. While I doubt remembering specific dates or years would be very effective in training the memory of a child, you would have to have some memorization now and then. To make one example, I teach mathematics at around high-school levels. You can just see how many have failed to memorize either results directly or algorithms to compute stuff. This makes everything I try to teach take twice as long, since they need to think about the result of some multiplication or some other basic stuff. That's not very effective.

Memorization for the sake of memorization is obviously not a very good way of teaching anything.