MAT/PAT/NSAT Thread

Any fellow britfags preparing for the Oxbridge admissions tests? If so, how?

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2011-02-14/pat_2013_paper_pdf_16194.pdf
www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2011-02-14/pat_2012_paper_pdf_10581.pdf
mega.nz/#!TB1Fia7K
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

4, no, corners of a chess board are the same color

Is this an exam for high school students?

yeah, it's an entrance exam taken by students in their last year of high school in the UK. the scores are used to select the top 20% of applicants who are then interviewed by the university, before a decision is made whether they should be offered a place.

here are some sample papers if you're interested (oxford physics):
www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2011-02-14/pat_2013_paper_pdf_16194.pdf
www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2011-02-14/pat_2012_paper_pdf_10581.pdf

n^3-n%2 = n-n%2 = 0%2
thus 2 | n^3-n

n^3-n%3 = n-n%3 =0%3
therefore 3|n^3-n

so 6|n^3-n

Taking the PAT next week, just been doing past papers and isaacphysics problems, starting to burn out now and just want to sit the paper.

Its the admissions exams used by Oxford and Cambridge universities to determine if you are good enough to be considered for an offer to study at Undergrad level. Essentially, far too many people apply there, and I guess its their way of cutting down the applicants they deem to be not suitable for a place. Interviews are done after the exams, further cutting down applicants. If you get through these stages, you're given a conditional offer, asking you to get certain grades on your A-Level subjects, which are the nationwide curriculum exams. You are usually asked to get grades anywhere from AAA to A+, A+, A in usually 3 subjects.

In other words, there may be far too many people capable of getting A+, A+, A, so it makes sense to use a hard exam to cut down those who can't handle their course beyond the current national curriculum.

Cambridge tends to have their Maths/CompSci/Engineering Admissions tests 'STEP' later in June, to be taken alongside the A-Levels.

Actually, as far as I know for maths, they use the MAT to 'delete' 55% of applicants, the rest 45% all get interviews, which then drops down to about ~20% getting offers. May be different for Physics, not sure.

>n^3-n%2 = n-n%2
>n^3-n%3 = n-n%3
What the fuck are you doing

How the proof should look:

n^3 - n = n (n^2 - 1) = n (n+1)(n-1)

Since the three terms are successive integers, one of them is divisible by 3, at least one of them is divisible by 2, therefore the product is divisible by 6

Wow it's not difficult at all. Is it the test to school students in UK from Oxford? Is that entry exams or what? Sorry I don't live in Europe and have bad engrish. Tell me more about that.

When I applied I didn't need to do a test. Did have 3 interviews asking for similar shit though.

Do all applicants now have to sit an admissions test or is it college-based like it used to be?

Hey, would you mind posting the rest of the pages of pic related? Doing the MAT next week and would love to practice these

For Oxford, all Maths, CompSci and Engineering degrees need to take a prior exam to weed out some of the applicants (MAT/MAT/PAT respectively, I think). Taking the MAT myself next Thursday for Mathematics and Computer Science.

This isn't a test, just a compiled list of questions for people to practice before the test/interview

Yeah I'm preparing for the MAT but not for Oxford, also the TMUA. It's pretty tiring going through those massive papers

Pretty much the same for physics.

What scores are you guys getting in the PAT/MAT? Sometimes I manage 70+, sometimes i just hit the threshold mark. I'm worried that under timed conditions I won't do as well. If all goes to hell I may reapply a year after.

In the MAT I'm finding it hard to precisely mark since the solutions don't show distribution of marks, but generally doing 65-70. Haven't done it under time conditions yet, which is worrying, since I'm on a gap year and have been working in industry at the same time (was good in theory, buy is making it difficult to revise!). Is the PAST on the same day?

Ignore the first part of . Only the specimen solutions don't show solution distribution and I've been saving the majority of the test papers for this week

I'm going to fail this thing, jesus christ. I got a 79 on the 2013 MAT, and everything else I got ~55 on. What is wrong with me?

Next week? It's not this Thursday for you?

Would you mind sharing them with me? I don't think I'll make it to interview anyways, but I guess one should be optimistic.

Oh, it is. Made that reply on Sunday night! Shitting bricks ngl

Don't beat yourself up about it, you still have a few days of hardcore revision

Who /pemBROKE/ here?

Ox or cam?

Eeh, britfags have to learn calculus to enroll at uni?

Ox, I'm not a brainlet

I've already done all the past papers (that might have been a mistake). What would you recommend I do to revise in these last few days?

calculus is high school stuff my man

Wouldn't say it was a mistake, just a little premature. If I were you (if you haven't done it already) I would scan through all the papers again, and really go in depth of the concepts that you got wrong so it won't slip you up again. Will be fucking boring but should help

You don't know calculus by the time you enter college?

Wise words. Applied for Baliol, though

Not just basic calculus but also chain rule, diff by substitution and parts, and reduction formulae in some advanced maths courses.

I'm applying to oxford too lads (OP Here); Physics and Philosophy at Brasenose. I'm worried though, as there seems to be a lot more applicants for oxford than Cambridge this year.

For anyone interested here is the download link to the interview questions file. Sorry for the cancerous scanning. mega.nz/#!TB1Fia7K (key is !rNVDysB-rT8FdM0Ied0p3K8dSXJiTk2OEUdBz7PgQYw).

I had no idea so many 6th formers browsed this board. I'll lurk more often now :).
Also, who /donealevelmathsearly/ here?