Should I do a double major in math/chemistry or mathematical physics/chemistry or something else?

should I do a double major in math/chemistry or mathematical physics/chemistry or something else?

first take serious classes in all of them, then decide. aka take real analysis, physical chemistry, modern physics

CS/Stats/Math triple major

what do you want to do after u graduate?

Physics, Chemistry, and Math all have light as fuck course loads. You could do all 3 without even having heavy course load:

>F1
Calc 1
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem lab
English 101

>S1
Calc 2
Gen Chem 2
Analytical Chem
Uni Phys 1

>F2
Calc 3
Matrix Algebra
Organic Chem 1
Uni Phys 2

>S2
ODEs
Proofs
Organic Chem 2
Organic Chem lab 1
Uni Phys 3

>F3
Real Analysis 1
Pointset Topology
Classical Mechanics
Electrodynamics 1

Organic Chem lab 2

>S3
Real Analysis 2
Linear Algebra
Electrodynamics 2
Thermal Physics

PChem lab

>F4
Abstract Algebra 1
Complex Analysis
Quantum Mechanics 1
Inorganic Chemistry
Experimental Physics

>S4
Abstract Algebra 2
Algebraic Topology
PDEs
Quantum Mechanics 2

oh wow that's actually pretty smart. so i don't have to declare which one i'm doing until later?

will they take pchem and thermal physics as identical classes?

Depends on the school.

I did MechEng + Maths undergrad, with honors in applied mathematics and then I did a masters in MechEng

Don't do chemistry. Labs are where joy goes to die. Double major in mathematics/philosophy to experience the euphoria of Logical Thinking.

>modern and postmodern philosophy
>Logical Thinking

Pick exactly one.

>he's too brainlet for chem labs

>he can't theorize properly so he has to do physical experiments.

Firstly, ignore this high school brainlet. He has no idea what he's talking about. This post is complete nonsense.

1) It's obviously a light course load when you completely ignore all the non-core classes you have to take for your major. You still have numerous other upper div restricted electives and in dept. courses required for your specialization.

2) A large number of these courses are guaranteed to overlap, immediately setting you back several semesters, especially with the once a year upper div courses.

Labs alone are several hours long. You're not going to be taking 5 other classes, lol. Your entire afternoon is gone, champ.

Chemistry/chemistry?

>ignore this high school brainlet
>Labs alone are several hours long. You're not going to be taking 5 other classes, lol. Your entire afternoon is gone, champ.

Says the high school brainlet. Classes aren't every day of the week. ChemEs take labs and 5 lecture courses regularly.

>2) A large number of these courses are guaranteed to overlap, immediately setting you back several semesters, especially with the once a year upper div courses.

True but you can move some stuff around and most people have AP/IB/Summer courses letting them take stuff early and free up their schedule.

>mATH
>CHEMISTRY

lmao do comp sci u fuckin noob

You have to be retarded to waste money learning CS in an university.

Mathematical physics sounds cool as fuck. More unique on paper.

As a Computer Science major, this. Learn programming on your own at home. You will not learn it for shit at any college anywhere in North America.

Take a look at the core material of each. Look through textbooks and see what interests you.
For math real analysis and algebra are very important. Math at this level is all about proving things, which you probably haven't done before in any of your math classes. Try looking up the proofs for square root of 2 is irrational or there are infinitely many primes. Recommended textbooks are Rudin's analysis's or Tao, Axler or Hoffman and Kunze's linear algebra, Artin or Dummit and Foote's algebra.
For physics this is extremely difficult because basically all the material in undergrad has nothing to do with "real physics" at the level where you can distinguish between the main two fields, particle physics and condensed matter. The things you learn like classical mechanics, EM, relativity, and quantum mechanics are disconnected from each other. Quantum field theory is where everything comes together and it starts to become very interesting. Try Goldstein's mechanics, Griffiths EM, Shankar's QM, and Peskin and Schroeder.
For chemistry I don't know what you should look at. I've only taken two classes in high school.

Don't do this. Fulfilling the basic requirements for multiple majors is pointless. You're not going far enough in mathematics or physics to do anything at all. You don't even get to quantum field theory with that setup and that is literally the single most important physics class available since it actually uses everything you've learned up until then. Math is missing functional analysis, differential geometry, number theory, and algebraic geometry which are all equally important as algebraic topology, and much more important than pde and a second linear algebra. You actually can complete a good double major in mathematics and physics, but the third major tacked on forces you to cut out too much. Grad schools prefer students that excel highly in the field of expertise they are applying for, unless they're applying for formal physics theory.

>You don't even get to quantum field theory
>Math is missing functional analysis, differential geometry, number theory, and algebraic geometry

Those are graduate courses dumbass.

>Grad schools prefer students that excel highly in the field of expertise they are applying for

Undergrad isn't specialization.

How do you tell which areas of math are more important? At my uni in Germany, you can just do whatever after you've done functional analysis, algebra, and introductory courses for statistics and numerical analysis. No idea on how to proceed from there.

I'm aware that it's a graduate course, it's irrelevant to my point. In physics, an applicant with qft generally beat an applicant without quantum field theory. There's two reasons for this, 1. most work involves qft in some way so it saves potential advisers future headaches caused by putting off actual research until they've learned it. 2. It shows strong initiative and ability in physics. Undergrads that can handle it clearly know what they're doing. The only thing which proves to admissions an applicant's skill more is publishing a non trivial paper while an undergraduate, which is suitably more difficult.
It depends on what you want to do. Some specializations require little other knowledge, like finite group theory. But even so math can widely be split into functional analysis, complex analysis, algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, differential geometry. Each field is extremely useful and rich enough to study for a lifetime. At the very least you should be comfortable with the main results from each. Then when you begin to specialize you'll have a better idea on what else you should learn by how useful it seems.

Asking this because differential/algebraic geometry and number theory are offered once every 10 semesters over here, so I wrote those off entirely.

If a undergrad has gotten up to QFT, he probably has enough graduate course credits for a masters degree. The best prepared students takes QFT their first year in graduate school and the others take it their second year.

The same can be said for algebraic geometry in math.

In american universities there's usually a strong distinction between undergrad and grad(masters and PhD). Just because a student has completed all the requirements for a masters doesn't entitle them to a masters. They have to apply for the schools masters program, which usually requires at least completed bachelors in some field. Because of this what usually happens is that very strong students clean out all the grad courses possible, then apply for a PhD program. Masters in math and physics are rare since they usually cost money and are undesired in the job market, both industry and academia.

>implying that none of these majors have thesis requirements.