Psychology question

Why are some people never reflective? Case and point, my roommate...

> always being entertained (music, games, shitty comedy videos )

> always looking for a laugh

> never seems to stop and think/be quiet to absorb his surroundings

Why are some people just not interested/capable of being reflective? Thinking about existential crisis... stress... etc. I often find myself stopping for minutes at a time, needing to be alone for a while and thinking about life. Is that strange?

They are fucking idiots.

Is it an iq thing? Or is it just that some people are simply incapable of such introspection... or possibly just afraid to delve into themselves (nietzsche).

You seem like one of those 'tfw too intelligent' guys. Put it this way, your room mate is enjoying life a lot more than you are because he/she actually wants to be happy. You don't really need to be reflective until things around you start going wrong, there's also such thing as being overly-reflective and becoming negative because of it.

Possibly enjoying life, but it looks like he’s trading hard work (studying) for easy pleasures. Not really thinking about what he’s doing and just “doing”. I’m not trying to sound like one of those guys... just think it’s strange that some people really don’t think about what they’re doing or who they are.

drones be drones dude. this is how i imagine the commoners life to be. not so much free of the commoner entertainment but the absolute lack of introspection. I see it in a lot of people.

Yeah totally. Just like in the “Myth of Sisyphus”... “the absurd can strike on any streetcorner” or something to that effect. At any time of day I can see something and think how strange it is, and that spirals down into me thinking about how my own life is going / how strange it is. Can’t see how others don’t do this but I guess some just fill that curiosity with entertainment

OP should reflect on why he wrote case and point.

*in*

Fuck, you got me there

>or possibly just afraid to delve into themselves
you might be onto something. they need constant distraction because they're afraid of themselves. there's a heaven and a hell inside all of us. everyone is addicted to comfort.

I think I'm suffering from partial brain damage due to sleep deprivation and I find it amusing how the neurotypicals don't even notice.

>Thinking about existential crisis..
everything you mentioned is escapism basically which is the opposite of existential crisis

People here sure love circlejerky threads like these.

Seems like a good explanation.... they need a distraction from themselves. Sorry to hear about the brain damage, still is very telling that no one noticed

Hope you sit next to me

we love the normie vs intellectual struggle. its a struggle since the dawn of human history

who will win in the end? will the normies numbers overwhelm the intellectuals? Or will the intellectuals progress overwhelm the normies in the end?

The Normies have no chance

fuckin a right

Maybe you're the brainlet
Maybe he's figured out the answers to shit you're still struggling with, and now he's just enjoying all his free time and laughing with stacy about his retarded roommate who still thinks about "life"?

I reflect a lot.

But i feel most intelligent and happy when i have stuff constantly going on in my life. I do better on tests too.

Reflection is just code for depression for smarties

I wish I was like that. It's a curse being an overthinking faggot like me. I'm not even smart that's the kicker.

You’d be potentially right if we were talking about someone else. This kid is bad... real bad. Comes in to the room still saying “damn Daniel” memes, completely not ironically. It’s bad. Didn’t mean for this thread to kind of be a roasting of my roommate but w/e

reflection causes negative feedback and makes you feel like shit
especially if your life is a mess like most peoples are

lack of reflection is a defense mechanism against an overwhelming or painful life

i like to think midlife crises are some form of massive sudden self reflection from years of putting it off

There's literally no point in thinking about problems you can't solve.

I enjoy rick and morty too!

Doubt it. You need an iq of 170 or higher. Sorry, brainlet, you don’t know Rick and morty.

he is sapping your brainiac energy so that he doesn't have to work for the knowledge. brainlet 0 normie 1

Fuckkk

>mfw too intelligent: the thread

Happens to me too. Always get the occasional

>user why are you so quiet?

Iq of 150 or above only, please.

Yeah sometimes you just have to stop and think. Constantly going doesn’t allow for reflection

So who's happier? The normie who gains endless entertainment from sex, food, and TV, or the Veeky Forums user who is constantly contemplating existence, jerking their dicks with their arrogant mindsets, searching for a modicum of gratification? I'd much rather be a fucking retarded and take things at face value than constantly analyze everything I think and do. It's fucking exhausting.

t.brainlet

Normies gonna Normie

fucking prove it faggot
prove that he is not interested/not capable of being reflective
prove that its not just you projecting based on biased observation

goddamn tfw too intelligent faggots

This nigga is triggered as fuck. Calm down there snowflake

im calm as a farm motherfucker
you see these cows and pigs?
they are fucking relaxed.
now OP needs to give his reasons for believing his statements

These are the people who will never be achieve greatness in life because they are just trying to be comfortable. I've realized life is constant suffering, and sugar coating it with instant gratification pleasures that play into your most childess desires is a pathetic attempt to make life enjoyable. Life will never be enjoyable, but you can find joy in making something extraordinary of yourself.
Also, music is not entertainment.

There are two basic modes of consciousness: Being and Doing. Being is "being in the present," when one is de-immersed in the Doing mode of thinking, planning, anticipating, and remembering. Modern society is hyperactive and hyper-Doing, we are conditioned from birth to use the doing mode to the almost complete exclusion of the being mode. The result is that we're always striving and looking for what to do next, causing depression, anxiety, and diminished self-awareness.

To illustrate this, try going on a walk while trying to simply maintain your attention on the present: your surroundings and the sensations you feel. You'll find yourself slipping into the waking daydream state of Doing without being conscious of it, you lose awareness and function autonomously. Notice how you are immersed in your thoughts exactly the same thing as being immersed in a movie, book, or game, and you react to it as if it is your reality - this is how the ruminating thoughts of depression and anxiety work. Mindfulness meditation is very effective for depression and anxiety for this reason, and is simply training to cultivate the Being mode. Behind the superstition and ideology of Eastern religions is great psychological and philosophical observations, for example the cycle of Samsara, rebirth and death, is a mythologicization of repetitive thoughts and habits that cause suffering as they dominate one's conscious experience. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is taking Eastern knowledge into the scientific realm, and is only the spearhead of a revolution that could go beyond psychology.

Doing and Being are more than psychological constructs, they are phenomenological reference frames of moment and change that precisely correspond to the two basic concepts of calculus: integrals (cumulative change) and derivatives (instantaneous change.) In the Being mode all that is experienced is a singular always-present moment, and instantaneous change in that moment; the linear concept of time as containing a plurality of moments in the Doing mode is not present. With Doing the linear dimension of time is the fixed reference point instead, and what is experienced is cumulative change over time.

These two reference frames comprise the basic organizational schema of our mind. Doing is logical, linguistic, reductionist, narrative, and step-wise, while Being is analogical (instantaneous comparison of structure between things, i.e. abstraction) holistic, and parallel. The Western philosophical and psychological emphasis is on the Doing mode, which is why the ego (the story of the self) is considered as the foundation of experiential reality, as with Descartes' "I think, therefore I am." The Eastern emphasis on the Being mode leads to the conclusion that the ego is an illusion because it is entirely absent during mindfulness meditation. The reality is that they are both "true," not exclusive and in conflict but complimentary and correlative. The fundamental theorem of calculus proves this formally for integrals and derivatives, and our experience of change naturally follows the basic abstract mechanics of change that calculus describes.

All of this is the essence of Taoism with all the pseudoscience and ideology removed. Chinese philosophy maintains that change is the fundamental nature of all things, with the Tao being the process of reality itself, the way things come together (cumulative change,) while still transforming (instantaneous change.) Taoist philosophy describes calculus in the abstract from the perspective of phenomenological experience. Taoism today will be to Scientific Taoism (The unification of physics, psychology, and philosophy with the mechanics of change) in the future as alchemy is to chemistry. It will be next-level Fedoran by giving a physicalist account for the hard problem of consiousness.

Now, to more directly answer your question:

>Why are some people never reflective?

Capitalism is based upon cumulative material change (capital) being the over-arching organizational factor of society. It is the consumption of all Being by Doing, and has abstracted itself right up Maslow's hierarchy, not only selling things that fulfill our basic needs but selling the unsellable such as self-worth, sense of belonging, even purpose. It has created The Society of the Spectacle, which Guy Debord describes as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing":

>The spectacle is the inverted image of society in which relations between commodities have supplanted relations between people, in which "passive identification with the spectacle supplants genuine activity". "The spectacle is not a collection of images," Debord writes, "rather, it is a social relationship between people that is mediated by images."

The real redpill is that The Matrix is a parable for modern society, and directly references postmodern society, especially Jean Baudrillard's "Simulacra and Simulation." Just as we can become immersed individually in the "doing" mode such that it dominates our experience of reality, capitalism has caused this on the social level; we live in a collective hypnotic dream that self-perpetuates itself due to a feedback between culture (information among human brains) and society (how those brains are organized and networked.) Capitalism isn't "merely" a socioeconomic system but the pure essence of nihilism - consumption for the sake of consumption, doing for the sake of doing - that has infected the whole of humanity. Systems rule the world, monolithic socio-cultural structures such as corporations, states, ideologies, and systems that compete with each other to subvert human agency due to a Darwinian survival imperative, our minds are merely the battleground as humanity has already been enslaved. Capitalism is the ecosystem in which giant techno-organic machines made of human behavior exist.

This trend is getting even worse with the rise of social media, now every aspect of human identity is being commodified with what one views, buys, likes, subscribes, favorites, friends, upvotes etc, with the sole purpose of figuring out ways to subvert human agency to sell people just a bit more shit to fill the existence-sized hole in the psyche of modern civilization. How can methodologically questioning yourself and your existence compete?

>prove that he is not interested/not capable of being reflective
this, op is just unaware of his surroundings