What's a good programming project? I'm completely out of ideas...

What's a good programming project? I'm completely out of ideas. I was about to write an app where you could ping your location and it would blip on a map but I got tired of the entire thing.

What's to be coded that Google hasn't already perfected?

>What's to be coded that Google hasn't already perfected?

Nothing

What is your level of programming? What are your interests?

Over nine thousand. my dude. All I lack is a solid grasp of physics. Everything else is mostly googleable.

Self-taught though.
No hacking skills, only theory and basics.

I dunno, anything that's interesting, otherwise I'd be eating cheetos and coding packages for Debian or something

Good point.

Just becausw Google has done it, doesn't mean you shouldn't give a crack at it yourself. Do you only attempt proofs that haven't been completed? No, you try ones that are established, to check your understanding against other mathematicians. Same thing for programming.

If you're really starved for something to code, just try little projects. For instance, a recent project I did in uni was a program that, given an n length binary string, will give all binary strings of that length thay don't contain a given substring (i.e. n=3, substring=00, output={010,011,101,110,111}).

mesh-based / p2p internet alternative by bloothoth / wifi that doesn't rely on providers.

DO IT

That's a preliminary search algorithm and I may have touched upon something like that already.

Honestly I doubt I'll ever do a proof in my life. The reward is lucrative but I don't have that kind of mindset unfortunately.

This reminds me though, I wanted to develop an algorithm that would take a 3D model, slice it into slices, integrate each slice and basically produce a voxel model out of it.
Like mesh2voxels.
I bet that exists already.

yeah, it's called voxelization.

That doesn't tell me anything. I'm currently writing a lot of software for stream processing. If you want to do something useful start writing stuff like kalman filters, PCA, DFFT and similar for streams. I'm using fs2 in scala, but you might want to use haskell machines instead.

I don't see the point in doing it if you're doing it desu

Check out project Euler. Lots of programming problems there

But I want to make a thing, I don't want to grind on meaningless exercies

Second this. Real simple but pretty fun.

If you cant think of something to make, you wont have the creativity necessary to go through the development process. Just do it!

I've tried each kind of project, my dude, I've burned out.

If you're really that burned out, just take a break. Do something else for a while. Maybe do some hiking on the weekends, or painting. It can happen to anyone brother, no shame in it.

Already did, my dude. Maybe I should quit programming and become a welder or something.

I'm doing project specific ghetto versions that won't be library quality. You're not gonna do it anyways of course because you're actually a dogshit programmer.

Working with your hands for a while does help. Id say pick up woodworking in your spare time so that you dont have to totally jumo careers (yet).

I had a friend who made a living as a journeyman programmer, essentially just talking to professionals in lots of different environments and asking them what they're missing in terms of apps. For example, he found a small airplane maintenance company which had Macs instead of PCs, who were forced to use a substandard database for their parts because there just wasn't much available for the Mac. So he spent a couple of months making them a database to their specifications. He didn't get much money from them, but he got a lot more from all the other airplane maintenance companies who were also using Macs.

Why not just talk to people and find out what needs are not being met, then meet them?

Make a video game bro

I'd probably just end up looking like a prat if I did that.
Somehow there's a sense of urgency or something that prevents me from being able to pick up a serious project, probably due to planned suicide at possible opportunity.

See above, but besides that my almost entire practice in programming has been working on games and game engines.

You don't have to work with a specific company. No one ever has to know you're working on anything in particular. Talk to a lot of different professionals and just ask what they want or what could be improved. Take a walk through a major street in your city or town and stop in to chat with the business owners. Explain you're a programmer looking for a project and ask them about the software they use, and what sort of new software they'd pay for.

Once you know what's needed, you can create something your own schedule, at your own pace, with no pressure on you if it flops or blows up or is beyond your skillset or whatever.

I tried that two years ago, user :/

>I was about to write an extremely easy and basic app but I got tired of it
Get good first

You sound depressed, man. There's nothing wrong with going to a therapist/doctor and talking these issues out/getting some meds.

Turmite simulator

Yeah, nah. I'd rather solve my issues without taking pills that make me feel like I feel good without actually addressing the real issue.

Regular expression parser, or even just a basic calculator with variables and parentheses

Good little intro into formal linguistics

In case you are actually up to a challenge an a project of a few months, I want to write a compiler from a dependently typed language to a smart contract virtual machine (NEO blockchain). The target platform already has a compiler from a subset of C# and some Java and Pythons in development too.
There are already a few projects that use pure functional languages for this purpose, and one of them even does the whole node implementation in Haskell.

Ok then do the other option. Therapist, talk these issues out.

make an RPG (2D) that isn't all blocky where you can interact with any object in a pseudorealistic way and the NPCs aren't retarded (give them some AI)
That's asking a lot but that would be cool if you did it

Why is /g/ and Veeky Forums the same now?

>p2p internet alternative by bloothoth
nigger what?

this might be a stupid idea - can you make a messaging app which communicates through pinging?