Fukin brainlets making brainlet mistakes

Is hoffman and kunze just a meme? I'm not even through the first chapter and this thing is riddled with errors. Whats the deal /sci ? Is Mr. hoffman kunze a brainlet?

is it even worth continuing to read at this point? I can't believe anyone would recommend this shit.

You need to get used to math, mate. Minor operational and notation mistakes like these are common and inevitable. Learning to correct them while reading is something we all learned at some point.

Thats fine, but in such a foundational subject I don't think its too much to ask for a textbook free from errors? I mean thousands of MIT students told their professor and he didn't bother to update their book in the 2nd edition?

Asking for a textbook free from errors is too much to ask. This is not some for-profit calculus for idiots book. It's hard enough to publish good quality math books as is, and H&K is a very high quality book. The errors are easy to correct.

I find small errors in my math textbooks sometimes too but they're usually to do with things like grammar or numbering

Because no one cares enough about a baby-tier baby-subject textbook to proofread.

The only reason I am surprised is that my school's lower quality linear algebra textbook didn't have a single error that I noticed. It was a 10th edition so I guess it's had more time to work out the errors. Is there a 3rd edition of hoffman and kunze? It's really a pleasure to read but these errors bother me a lot. Is there a complete errata somewhere that I could reference?

nope its just a typo.
he did it correct in the indices

Well, keep posting errata mate you're doing gods work

These mistakes aren't in the first edition. Unfortunately I can't find the first edition on library genesis so I'll need to take pictures. The first isn't even in the first edition at all. The others are completely different.

I have no idea what the second edition is doing here

>actually reading the proofs and verifying the details

you're the brainlet here OP

Its like they blindly copied without thinking. You should probably stop reading the second edition if its this shitty.

A similar thing happened with the second edition of Sakurai's qm. The index looks like it was computer generated. It has entries like "physics" and no mention of Pauli matrices anymore. It's completely useless now and I don't understand how it happened.

>Not reading the proofs and verifying the details

You're the brainlet here not OP

The only image that's wrong is the 2nd. The other two are ok.

>actually needing someone to hold your hand instead of proving everything in your head within 30 seconds of reading it for the first time

>Claims to magically come up with proofs in 30 seconds in his head to theorems that took centuries for geniuses to discover, on an anonymous dolphin blowhole lubrication ingredient discussion forum

bruh that's right. when you take the inverse you reverse the order.

>hoffman and kunze just a meme
Lrn2meme fgt pls

Thanks for posting these photos. I don't recognize these at all from the second edition pdf. I'll need to see a pdf of the first edition to determine which I like better. I wonder if the pdf online is just a draft of the second edition, maybe if I order the book it won't have those errors?

his photo is from the 1st edition, the screenshots are from the 2nd edition. I've never seen so much change between editions.

Do you think you can photo the first chapter? it's only like 20 pages, it would be really interesting to compare.

you replied to the wrong images friend, but for the proof of the elementary matrices I actually think the 2nd edition has a neat proof because they defined a few pages earlier the kronecker delta function [math] \delta_{ij} = I_{ij}[/math] which allows for a more direct construction of elementary matrices based on row operations on the identity which is what the first edition shows at the end by letting B=I.

No, he's not talking about the columns themselves (the Bi's) but all together in B. See the very last line. B is a row vector made up of column vectors.

To be fair he was claiming that he can understand the proof in his head without writing it down, not that he came up with the proof
He's probably only taken calc

oh I see how that could be interpreted, interesting but the grammar is ambiguous

but that would mean he should have said the 1xp matrices

Get a real linear algebra text OP

I might in a day or two. I'm fairly busy right now.

you don't need to run away from errors mate. might as well get used to them now, seeing as you're mature enough to correct them as you go. papers are full of this kind of error.

The smartest person I've met makes tons of mistakes in his lectures. The man, however, isn't even mortal. There's no way he is.

Only a brainlet would be troubled by small errors. If you were any good at math you would correct it automatically in your head.

Many lemmas and properties are fairly trivial to prove. Notation is highly suggestive, and if you have any familiarity with proof techniques in the subject, you can see how they can be proven right away.

>tfw my grandfather's uncle spent 90 years to prove that the intersection of two subspaces is a subspace.