SpaceX launch thread - KoreaSat 5A

Welcome!

Launch planned for October 30th 2017, 15:34 - 17:58 EDT (19:34 - 21:58 UTC)

launch countdown: spaceinit.com/en/launch/view/1048

This LC-39A launch is of the 3500kg KoreaSat 5A to GTO. The first stage will land on the ASDS Of Course I Still Love You.

SpaceX's 16th launch of 2017! (44th launch of F9)

Other urls found in this thread:

spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/koreasat5apresskit.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=RUjH14vhLxA
floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/10/18/spacex-targeting-november-mystery-zuma-launch-falcon-9-kennedy-space-center-ksc-florida/775284001/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_apogee_engine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i really wish they would get to a dragon2 or a falcon heavy launch.

Why can't they just build the bloody Mars rocket already

Building rockets takes time.

they're already setting up and purchasing the tooling. It'll fly before SLS at least.

Yeah, looking back at it the FH is a waste of time, but it's hard to predict these things.

FH is F9 parts slapped together.

the F9 isnt' even in final iteration yet.

>It'll fly before SLS at least.
I hope so. I wanna go to Mars. RIGHT NOW.

Youtube says the stream starts at 5:34 AM (6 Eastern), but everything else says 3:34 PM Eastern.

Somebody dun goof'd?

That's weird

If OP's time of 19:34 UTC is correct then it shouldn't start for another 16 hours - not 6 hours like your screenshot

A single BFR could launch every single F9 payload launched to date

I’m pretty giddy for it

press kit was released

spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/koreasat5apresskit.pdf

The heavy is either going to launch in December or January as it’s basically just sitting in the hangar waiting for them to modify the launch pad. The Dragon 2 is likely to launch in the spring or summer, but I’m not sure if SpaceX are waiting to launch it with a Block 5 or not so it could be a longer wait.

Reads October 30th 6:34AM for me in Eastern USA on the video feed. Obviously that is incorrect. It'll happen 3:34PM.

Man your text rendering is shit dude

>mfw it explodes and takes the pad with it

SLS is flying 2020 at worst.

>FH is F9 parts slapped together.
the core is different, who knows how much reinforcement they had to add

>it takes 8 years to add a bit of reinforcement

>looking back at it the FH is a waste of time
FH should have at least 3 years of flying at a high launch rate, and more likely 5. They'll probably fly it at least 50 times, and F9 at least 100 times. Not a waste.

Furthermore, it'll build confidence for their many-engined booster (9 to 31 is a big jump, 27 to 31 is a small one), let them experiment with upper-stage recovery, and possibly let them flight test the Raptor on an upper stage.

FH is important to dominate the launch market. We'll likely see manifested F9 launches moved to FH for reusability savings and enhanced satellite longevity.

I just want to see all 3 first stages of a FH land back safely after launch

I will literally cum buckets seeing three first stage landings from a single FH launch

This thread needs more shitposting.

webcast has started with funky music.
youtube.com/watch?v=RUjH14vhLxA

OH SHIT

>Music confirmed

>tfw still hoping it'll fly 2017
0% chance, right?

Tip top post

dream on, mars man

FH 2017 LAUNCH CONFIRMED

GET HYPE

STREAM BROKE AHHHH

>T MINUS -00:10:00

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*blocks your path*

>worst korea

The fuck is wrong with the stream?

The audio is balls and feed keeps cutting out

hype

Geostationary insertion and 3500 kilo payload.

how hard is this going to be on the first stage?

Probably won't fly again

>58k people watching

no return to landing site, but some boostback burn to the drone ship. Harder then say a CRS mission, but not that toasty compared to previous 6t to GTO missions

>won't fly again
Heh, nothing personal kiddo

one toasty mission booster was turned to FH side booster. might fly again.

Boom.

Well not likely anyway.
I don't see cores going on intense missions like this being reused often untill Block 5
True but I don't think they'll risk it untill Block 5 cores.

rip

>Lost the Stage 1 camera feed

Signal ((((lost))))

WE DID IT REDDIT!!!

Stage 1 on fire.

>"a little toasty"
>fucking stage on fire
its dead.

A LITTLE TOASTY

>Stage 1 on fire

Doesn't look too good.

uh oh

say that to ULA. The stage is designed to reenter from 100+ km through hypersonic retropropulsion. Some fire on the side? meh.
better launch something orbital first before talking shit baldy

One more stage had that issue.
I think there might be something worth investigating...

RIP in pieces toasty Stage 1

I cry everytiem :_:

>tfw it didn't explode and thunderf00t can't make a video about it

>Survive launch and re-entry
>Burn to death at sea

You can see its insides? Did a panel fall off?

That stage is toast, it's literally leaking burning rocket fuel.

>Implying a little fire is going to hurt the booster
Ye of little faith

Please explain why it would be unusable after this mission

I understand that reaching GTO is harder than reaching LEO, but in what ways *specifically* would this affect Stage 1 so much that it can't be used again?

The re-entry is harder as the rocket goes faster through the atmosphere.

They'll activate fire suppression, it'll be fine

neat

Fair enough. I'm guessing they'll reuse whatever they can though.

Have previous GTO rockets been unusable then? I mean surely even if some bits are fucked (one of the engines, a bit of the fuselage, whatever) then they can still use other bits that are fine. Like propellant tanks and whatever.

wtf is this Zuma payload for northrup grumman?

floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/10/18/spacex-targeting-november-mystery-zuma-launch-falcon-9-kennedy-space-center-ksc-florida/775284001/

fuck off reddit

stage 2 teleported to Africa and back

The comment section on the facebook livestream somehow manages to be cringey, depressing and hysterically funny all at the same time

Spysat. DOD payloads are divine gift to SX not only do they pay nicely they also build up connections which is important when you have deal with existing buttblasted and useless industries.

They've reused one that went on a GTO mission I believe so far.
Also one of the side boosters for Falcon Heavy was a GTO that had a tough landing, the leaning tower of thaicom.
Considering Block 5 is built for constant reuseability I imagine more boosters that will go on GTO missions will be reused then.

Takes one to fucking know one, bud.

Reuse of rockets recovered so far is basically experimental. The Block 5 will incorporate changes to make reuse much more practical.

Is that a sprinkler in the bottom? It's moved a bit on the next image when the fire's off. Hope they didn't use saltwater.

>Hope they didn't use saltwater.
It can't be too vulnerable to seawater. They'll have ocean spray on it no matter what they do.

Falcon 9 was originally designed for splashdown recovery, so it's very tolerant of salt water.

We're going, boys!

it is, yes. And no, it isn't saltwater.

Fair

They have I think 4 powerful remote controlled water hoses on the ASDSs

So how does this satellite maintain its orbit?

Does it have any method of propulsion so it can fine-tune its orbit?

>So how does this satellite maintain its orbit?
yes
>Does it have any method of propulsion so it can fine-tune its orbit?
yes

yes it does. a hypergolic apogee engine.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_apogee_engine

Also, small thrusters of the same kind, or of the monoprop kind ( hydrazine). Also, ion engines for station keeping are used on quite a few sats. Some sats even forego hypergolic prop engines and are totally 'electric'- ion engines for orbit raising as well as station-keeping.

Also, some use reaction wheels. Others use the magnetic field of the earth as a cusion with a Hall effect thruster thingy too.

that's for attitude keeping / pointing, not orbital position / station keeping though. Also important, and present in sats, but a different requirement.

The F9 upper is the same as the FH upper, they could do all that experimentation with the F9 if they wanted to
Could do orbital refueling, both to test + cover anything the FH could do

They has to redesign the entire rocket because of that reinforcement.

What if it runs out of fuel?

that's why graveyard orbits exist.

When the BFR becomes a reality. They could send one up just to collect derelict satellites and bring them back. not only would this make space less hazardous. You can recycle the valuable elements, and study old sats to improve future ones.

Stay tuned for today's launch of Orbital's Minotaur-C, which is effectively the return to flight of the rebranded Taurus. It had two fairing separation failures in a row due to fraudulent materials certification by a contractor.

The launch is scheduled for 2:37 PDT from Vandenberg.

Who is going to pay for that? The scrap of old satellites is not worth millions of dollars, fucking recycling memes